Author Topic: 5 year old birthday party  (Read 1990 times)

LilacGirl1983

5 year old birthday party
« on: March 31, 2013, 05:54:05 PM »
Another post :)

My daughter wants a tinkerbell party. We sent out invites about 2 weeks ago..got about 25 people so far RSVP yes. Got quite a few questions! I am going to guess high and plan for 30 people. This is the first time we are having such a big party. Any help would be appreciated. I really want it to be a nice party for our daughter..

Any one have ideas for the goodie bags?

I have bought:

-tinkerbell candy mix
-bubbles

How much pizza should I get? Its a take an bake place

We will also have bowls of chips to munch on

Will 1/2 sheet of cake be enough?

Ideas for activities?

I have coloring pages for them to color and cleaned up the basement where there is a mini ball pit..hoping it will be warm enough for to play outside on the front deck and plan on having side walk chalk.

Decoration ideas? I was thinking streamers and we have a table cloth and some center pieces.

Curious Cat

Re: 5 year old birthday party
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 08:13:51 PM »
It is a little bit hard to help without additional information.

How many pieces of pizza are in each pie?

How many slices of cake is there in a half sheet?

LilacGirl1983

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 08:43:30 PM »
Half sheet of cake according to the bakery serves 32 - 2x2 squares

The pizzas are 14" large

kudeebee

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 10:48:36 PM »

I have bought:

-tinkerbell candy mix
-bubbles

Wands or puzzles from dollar store?

I usually figure 2 pieces for adults/teens, 1 for small kids
Buy one more large to have just in case

It should be.  Kids don't need a full piece, a lot won't eat it--both adult and kids.

Ideas for activities?
Pin the wand or wings on tinkerbell?  Glitter snow globes?

I have coloring pages for them to color and cleaned up the basement where there is a mini ball pit..hoping it will be warm enough for to play outside on the front deck and plan on having side walk chalk.

Decoration ideas? I was thinking streamers and we have a table cloth and some center pieces.
That sounds good.  Just decorate the front door and the table where they will eat.

snowdragon

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 11:49:34 PM »

I have bought:

-tinkerbell candy mix
-bubbles
Stickers, the Big Lots near  me had tinker bell ones for cheap
pencils - you can find these with tinker bell on them too
you look for stamps with tinker bell, I've seen these at Big Lots,too

Umm,  a half sheet would likely not be enough - you've not said  how many of the attendees are kids or adults but my sister in law has three bio-kids 20, 10 and 7 two foster kid 20 and 17 her husband and herself, the last time I had pizza there one barely fed us all.  I would go with at least two. ( we also usually have a salad  on the side.

Ideas for activities?

this site might help http://www.great-kids-birthday-parties.com/tinkerbell-games.html

Have fun!

Promise

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 11:54:12 PM »
For my son's 5 year old party, I did a "make your own pizza" as an activity. Each child got an english muffin and I had different sauce, toppings and cheese. Each child got to make their own pizza and it was a big hit.

LilacGirl1983

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 10:22:42 AM »
So far we are having about 12 kids and 18 adults..and not all the RSVPs are in..I will have to check out big lots and the dollar store for some the ideas! Thank you ladies..We are on a budget for the party so we are trying to make it special:)

magician5

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 03:57:38 PM »

Take the stuff back and do not do goodie bags ... see http://goodmagic.com/magician/goodie.htm

In my experience, that's not only expensive but labor-intensive. Ordering delivery might actually be less expensive and you won't have to heat it yourself. You don't want to miss the party because you're in the kitchen ... BE THERE for your daughter's party.

They say that size will feed 18-40 depending on how you cut it. The little darlings will be more manageable without quite so much sugar, so small pieces will be fine (and you'll have less cake smeared all over your house).

Ideas for activities?

None. Let 'em play. They're excited and sugared-up ... they won't like being herded around to do THIS and then THIS.

That's more than enough ... maybe some themed paper plates?

Remember to get enough trash bags.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 03:59:14 PM by magician5 »
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

sweetonsno

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 04:41:50 AM »
I've never hosted a party for the wee ones, so I'm going mostly on memory and guesswork.

Goodie bags:
- wands and tiaras/bracelets
- stickers (borrowed from someone else)
- pixie dust (soap confetti? glitter?)

Activities:
- decorate your own crown (make paper crowns ahead of time and have markers, stickers, etc)

Decorations:
- Balloons and streamers
- Little fairies hanging from the ceiling if you have the time to make them
- fairy jars (jar, glow stick, glitter)?

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 05:14:51 AM »

I'd plan on one small piece of cake for each kid, one larger one for each adult, and about 10% over-run (to cover dropped pieces, etc).

For pizza - maybe two slices per child, three per adult. Hand the pieces out, so you don't have kids grabbing four pieces they won't eat. If they're still hungry after two pieces, they can eat chips.

I second the idea of ordering in pizza. 18 adults and 12 kids at 3 and 2 pieces, and 8 pieces per pizza is 10 pizzas. Assuming one pizza on each rack, two racks, and 25 minutes per pizza, that's going to take  2 hours to bake the pizzas. So either most people eat cold pizza, or you have to dole it out over 2 hours by group, as the hungry people watch on. To be safe, phone the delivery place, and ask how far in advance you have to order to get the pizzas at the time you want.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 07:54:33 AM »
As far as goodie bags go, I've never been one to do them.  Instead, I buy a $5-7 dollar item for each child...one year I bought 3 giant Hershey chocolates and put them in cute bags and another time I wrapped them.  The kids loved those. 

Another year, I bought plastic superhero cups and decorated them with straws, juices, etc.  Hard to explain but I never do the typical goodie bag as I really don't see the point.  You spend so much money and most of the time the little plastic toys get thrown in the trash.  At least they do in my home. 

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 08:19:11 AM »
I actually would organize activities, and I also would ask someone (in advance) to help me with this (or hire a HS/College student)

By age 5, I'm assuming the guests (I mean the little 'uns) are in school and understand concepts of games and organized activities. Personally, *I* wouldn't let them just get hyped up on sugar and run wild. but that's me.

It doesn't have to be overlly rigid, but there should be *some* organization:
1-1.30 arrival, greet the guest, and let them do some kind of art work (decorate a crown, decorate inexpensive pair of flip flops which will be their 'goody bag", etc). (have music on in the background). supervisor: Mary.
1.30-2.30: games. Pin the wings on the tinkerbell, duck duck goose, musical chairs, whatever you like. just take into account that 12 kids (and you may have more) may be a lot for a game where they have to wait. if you consider that each attempt at "pin the wings" will take 1-2 minutes, that's 12-24 minutes that they will be sitting around doing nothing. you may reconsider or have two tinkerbells.
supervisors: mary and Lilacgirl
2.30-3.30: refreshments, cake, birthday wishes, gifts (if you are opening gifts). I would start with the actual food and end with the cake.
supervisors: mary, lilac girl and...
after that - let them play with yard toys or sit them down to watch a cartoon (depending on how hyped up they are) or both

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 10:06:42 AM »
If money is tight would a boxed cake mix be cheaper than a premade cake?

Have you considered cupcakes instead of a cake? Maybe decorating them could be a party activity? :)

As PPs have mentioned, traditional games can be tweaked to theme. What about freeze tag with a magic fairy wand? Instead of "Duck, Duck, Goose" it could be "Fairy, Fairy, Tinkerbell". Get creative with construction paper and turn musical chairs into musical flowers or mushrooms.  ;)
You could do a flying fairy relay race using flowers or cheap jewels from a party/dollar store.

You could also do a treasure hunt for Tinkerbell's jewel box, or "rescue" Tinkerbell/Tinkerbell's _____ from the _____ (I don't know the Tinkerbell mythology that has been created since the original Peter Pan). Use a flowery script font to print out the clues or note from Tinkerbell.

On that note, maybe have a crowning ceremony naming your DD the B-day fairy princess or something like that.

I used to host children's theme parties (Princess and Pirate). We'd get the kids dressed up, then games, then story time (aka wind-down/stalling while food was prepared  ;)), then food, then presents, then B-day ceremony, then get ready to go and hand out goodie bags.

Good luck and have fun!  ;D
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

magician5

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 10:07:13 AM »
Want a really odd idea?

Remember how they portrayed Tinkerbell in the stage musical? A teensy spotlight that "danced" about.

Have a "pin the wings on Tinkerbell" contest - kids go one by one - give eack player a set of "wings" just cut from a sheet of paper with a tab of tape to stick with - you flit a flashlight beam around the room - "There's Tinkerbell!" - and keep the light well above their head until you let it dance on a larger sheet of paper taped to the wall. At that point, the kid can reach it and tape her "wings", and EACH contestant wins! Prize is (of course) the goodie bags, which you haven't let them know about until the contest ends.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

workerbee

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 03:43:39 PM »
I would most definitely order pizza - it will be less expensive and easier than the Take & Bake. Unless you have a huge oven, all you're going to be doing the entire time is shuttling pizzas in and out of the oven.

I like the idea of cupcakes, if you're trying to save on cost! Maybe have a few already decorated to give ideas, and then the kids can decorate their own as an activity? You can easily whip up a simple buttercream, then use food coloring to make different (Tinker-bell themed) colors, have edible glitter, colors, decorating sugar, etc.

I would limit the planned activities for this age. My kids have had the most fun just playing together. For that size group, though, it might be nice to have one or two simple activities - maybe an art project (or cupcake decorating) and then something more active? If you have space, scavenger hunts are fun, and you could hide Tinkerbell-related trinkets around.

Skip the goodie bags. As a parent, I would be grateful - I absolutely detest finding those tiny toys and bits-and-pieces all over the house! If you feel you must give something, I agree with the person who suggested ONE nice thing: a coloring book, a beach toy, etc.