A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Food

Is Mexican food popular outside North America?

(1/16) > >>

Green Bean:
DH and I were talking about different ethnic foods, the popularity of Italian specifically. He pondered whether or not Mexican food (tacos, burritos, enchiladas, etc) are popular globally or just N.A.  I thought that would be a good question for the e-hell folks.  So, what say you?

Awestruck Shmuck:
Mexican food is gaining popularity in Australia - but there's a lot of fuss from a tiny % of people that question how authentic it is. I think most mexican places here serve 'tex-mex' - but I have been to one restaurant that is said to be very authentic, and it was amazing!!

hyzenthlay:
I'm going to say no, because outside of Mexico and New Mexico the critical ingredient of chili pepper is relatively hard to find  ;D  I mean seriously, you go up to Colorado and the think green chili involves bell peppers  :P

Some individual aspects are becoming more wide spread. Tortillas are used as the basis for 'wraps' in many places. But actual 'Mexican' is pretty heavy on corn and squash and beans, and that's a far cry from the Mexican American mix which heavier on beef, cheese, and lettuce and tomato for garnish.

Nibsey:
It's pretty popular in Dublin. Mexican tapas restaurants and Burrito stalls are where all the hipsters are hanging out.  ::) Before that was the bubble tea places and before that was the milkshake places. I don't like chili or beans so sufficient to say I preferred the milkshake craze. Mmmh Cadburys Cream egg milkshake.  ;D

Iris:

--- Quote from: Awestruck Shmuck on March 31, 2013, 06:56:42 PM ---Mexican food is gaining popularity in Australia - but there's a lot of fuss from a tiny % of people that question how authentic it is. I think most mexican places here serve 'tex-mex' - but I have been to one restaurant that is said to be very authentic, and it was amazing!!

--- End quote ---

I have been to several Mexican restaurants (in Australia), all of which claim to sell really, truly authentic Mexican food. Pity that there's so much difference between them  ::). Then again food snobs have patiently explained to me that just about every ethnic food I have ever eaten is wrong in some way, or if it is right it is only right for a small area of the country in question. Now I just go for whatever I personally find yummy.

My kids love Mexican food and regularly beg for it for dinner, so I would say in my house at least it's pretty popular.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version