Author Topic: How to confirm a choice in an awkward situation  (Read 6761 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: How to confirm a choice in an awkward situation
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2013, 03:32:59 PM »
If she's presuming to order a drink for another adult who is standing in the same room, I think she's overinvolved in a very unhealthy way.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2013, 06:31:51 PM »
I can see in the aftermath of a death, a grandparent stepping up and filling in that role of caretaker of children and helping with the upkeep of the house. 

In this case, it seems the mom stepped into that role and is now feeling threatened that there is another woman coming into it and essentially replacing her.  I do see her behavior as controlling and unhealthy.  And while I might not blame the brother for accepting the help she offered, when she offered it, I do see it as his responsibility to draw the line with her now.  I think he should insist that she step back and let him run his own life...to include doing his own laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc.

I don't think we've read anything to indicate the brother is not willing to take control of his life.

He didn't hear his mother order for him so when presented with a drink, he accepted it graciously and didn't make a fuss. He then chose to drink what he had brought when he had a refill. Sounds pretty self sufficient and mature to me.

I think the OP needs to stop allowing her fear of her mother making a scene control her normal actions.  If a guest in my home wanted to throw a fit because I confirmed with someon's drink request  I'd let them make a fool of themselves and probably enjoy the show while she was doing it.

My advice to the OP is to learn:
"Mom your being silly and overly controlling."
"Mom, I don't want to hear it."

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2013, 06:59:02 PM »
If she's presuming to order a drink for another adult who is standing in the same room, I think she's overinvolved in a very unhealthy way.

Doubly so since the OP is afraid to question that ordering, lest she get upset.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2013, 07:05:57 PM »
I can see in the aftermath of a death, a grandparent stepping up and filling in that role of caretaker of children and helping with the upkeep of the house. 

In this case, it seems the mom stepped into that role and is now feeling threatened that there is another woman coming into it and essentially replacing her.  I do see her behavior as controlling and unhealthy.  And while I might not blame the brother for accepting the help she offered, when she offered it, I do see it as his responsibility to draw the line with her now.  I think he should insist that she step back and let him run his own life...to include doing his own laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc.

I don't think we've read anything to indicate the brother is not willing to take control of his life.

He didn't hear his mother order for him so when presented with a drink, he accepted it graciously and didn't make a fuss. He then chose to drink what he had brought when he had a refill. Sounds pretty self sufficient and mature to me.

I think the OP needs to stop allowing her fear of her mother making a scene control her normal actions.  If a guest in my home wanted to throw a fit because I confirmed with someon's drink request  I'd let them make a fool of themselves and probably enjoy the show while she was doing it.

My advice to the OP is to learn:
"Mom your being silly and overly controlling."
"Mom, I don't want to hear it."

Well, according to the OP she does run his life.  She's been overall caretaker for him and the kids and has something to say about just about everything.  Pets, fiance, and drinks. 

Otherwise, I  agree with everything you've said.  The OP does seem to be walking on eggshells.  It seems that mom pretty much controls everything.