Author Topic: Gluten-Free recipes  (Read 538 times)

SheltieMom

Gluten-Free recipes
« on: April 01, 2013, 05:49:26 PM »
There have been a couple of threads lately regarding eating gluten-free, so I thought I'd start a thread for good recipes. My daughter's soon-to-be BIL (age 17) has to eat gluten-free, and my Christmas gift to him this year was a "dish of the month" idea. He is loving it so far, but I want to find something different each month. So far, I've found a Truffle Brownie mix, a peanut butter cookie, and a chocolate chip cookie. This month, I really want to find a soft pretzel mix, or recipe, or even a source for frozen pretzels. Any ideas?
Other recipes are good, too!
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Gluten-Free recipes
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 05:59:43 PM »
Bulk Barn has a GF all purpose flour mixture that is very good.  I've substituted it in place of wheat all purpose in cakes and loaf cakes with lots of moisture, like carrot cake, banana and pumpkin loaf.  It is a straight one to one substitution with the addition of 1 tsp of Xanthan gum and 1 tsp of extra fluid per cup of flour.

I've also used it in chocolate chip cookies, with 1/2 tsp of Xanthan gum per cup of flour.

Another really good recipe is for peanut butter cookies on the Kraft website:
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp of vanilla (this is an addition my nephew made)
You can also add some chocolate chips, if you are so inclined.

Roll into balls and flatten with a fork on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Remember to use water and not flour to keep the fork from sticking.   :)  Bake at 325 F for 15 minutes.  DO NOT OVERBAKE.  Makes about 2 dozen cookies.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

veryfluffy

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 05:46:20 PM »
I've just made the Joy of Baking's American Sponge cake with gluten-free flour. I added a half teaspoon of baking powder. It was lovely and light and fluffy. I cover with melted chocolate and sprinkle on chopped nuts. The same site had an Orange Chiffon cake. I use gluten-free flour and increase the baking powder by 1/2 tsp.

sweetonsno

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 04:10:58 AM »
Try French macarons. There are tons of recipes out there. The cookies are chewy and moist.

ETA: Wow, I realize that I totally failed to read your post carefully. I missed the "pretzel" part. Whoops. Sorry.  :-[

I've never tried these, but they are apparently chewy: http://www.glutenfreebaking.com/public/GlutenFree_Soft_Pretzel_Recipe.cfm

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 04:39:01 AM by sweetonsno »

White Lotus

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 12:02:19 AM »
Bob's Red Mill produces a gluten-free baking mix (add your own Xanthan gum depending on what you are making).  It works in "regular" recipes. I have used it for cookies and pie crust.  Would be fine for shortbread. Just substitute per package directions.  Haven't tried a quick bread or cake, but I think it would work.  Bob's also has a very good GF cornbread mix -- much softer and more "eggy" than my homemade all corn cornbread, which tastes great but tends to crumble.  Bob's also has a pizza crust mix.  Bisquick, of all companies, has a GF version right next to the regular Bisquick.  Makes pretty good biscuits, pancakes, and all.  Anything you can do with a meringue is great -- kisses, Pavlovas, Floating Islands.  French macaroons -- almond paste, sugar and egg whites -- are wonderful.  Many recipes are built about nuts and need few substitutes.  Use rice flour, corn starch, tapioca flour, potato starch, and so on for thickening or small quantities.  Many people make their own baking mixes from scratch, and many other firms make baking mix/flour blends to buy.  These are just what I find withou effort locally.  I buy, because I don't want to have a huge pantry of ingredients I won't use before they go off.  So far, I have had very few problems with GF.  Remember to get some Tamari because regular soysauce is made with wheat.  Do read labels.  On everything.  Amazing where gluten shows up.  A stir fry using cornstarch is the sauce and tamari is even classic.

doodlemor

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 01:31:34 PM »
There was an interesting article in yesterday's Buffalo News about this subject.  Here is a link:

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130403/LIFE01/130409799