Author Topic: How do you order a martini?  (Read 3863 times)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: How do you order a martini?
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013, 12:43:05 PM »
Well, I guess I am going to be the voice of dissent.  While I don't drink a Martini on the rocks I do know it is a legitimate and recognized drink, but no bartender should ever assume to serve it that way as a default.  I had a friend who liked them on the rocks. She liked the strong flavor for the first sip and then to have the ice slowly dilute the drink as she nursed it.

Yes a martini can be served on the rocks (which is why I advised she ask for hers "straight up") but not if its being served in a martini glass, which the OP's was. Under no circumstances should a rocks drink ever be served in a martini glass. Ever.

I also agree one should call a vodka martini a vodka martini, but I disagree anyone looking for an actual martini (even if vodka based) should ever utter the word "vodkatini" - in fact I think its words like that that are the root cause of the OP's problem. A cutesie name with "tini" on the end created the monster of cutesie drinks like appletinis and chocolatinis. I would think if our OP asked for a "vodkatini" she almost certainly would have gotten something pink and/or fruity - because its a made up name, bartenders are able to make up their own version of what they think a vodkatini should be.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 12:54:30 PM »
Well, I guess I am going to be the voice of dissent.  While I don't drink a Martini on the rocks I do know it is a legitimate and recognized drink, but no bartender should ever assume to serve it that way as a default.  I had a friend who liked them on the rocks. She liked the strong flavor for the first sip and then to have the ice slowly dilute the drink as she nursed it.

Yes a martini can be served on the rocks (which is why I advised she ask for hers "straight up") but not if its being served in a martini glass, which the OP's was. Under no circumstances should a rocks drink ever be served in a martini glass. Ever.

I also agree one should call a vodka martini a vodka martini, but I disagree anyone looking for an actual martini (even if vodka based) should ever utter the word "vodkatini" - in fact I think its words like that that are the root cause of the OP's problem. A cutesie name with "tini" on the end created the monster of cutesie drinks like appletinis and chocolatinis. I would think if our OP asked for a "vodkatini" she almost certainly would have gotten something pink and/or fruity - because its a made up name, bartenders are able to make up their own version of what they think a vodkatini should be.
I misunderstood your meaning then that "they are never served over ice" but completely agree that they shouldn't be served on the rocks in a martini glass. 

I also agree on the vodkatini word, but after appletinis became so popular I started seeing all sorts of "tinis".

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 01:02:34 PM »
There's also perfect martinis, which use sweet & dry vermouth. It's nice when you want a little sweetness but don't want to go all out on the frou frou drinks.

But I like my martinis wet and dirty on the rocks.  >:D
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

audrey1962

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2013, 01:19:55 PM »
Dirty martini, straight up, Grey Goose.

And if I'm feeling especially adventurous, I order it extra dirty.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 01:22:23 PM »

I misunderstood your meaning then that "they are never served over ice" but completely agree that they shouldn't be served on the rocks in a martini glass. 

I also agree on the vodkatini word, but after appletinis became so popular I started seeing all sorts of "tinis".

Well a "martini" is never served with ice. Just like a "martini" is never made with vodka. So if you simply ask for a "martini" it won't be served with ice. So for me to say they are never served with ice, was sort of the same as you insisting they are not made with vodka  :)
One can of course ask for ice and/or vodka, and that's absolutely fine and within normal "martini variations that are still martinis not just cutesie 'tini' drinks" but unless specified its not the way a standard, basic martini would ever be made.

(Of course this might all make you wonder, why then say "straight up"? The answer is: servers like our OP experienced who clearly don't know their cocktails.)

magicdomino

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 02:00:06 PM »
My knowledge of cocktails is based much more on theory than experience ( I love cocktail books), but when someone mentions the word Martini, I think of gin with a bit of vermouth and an olive.  I believe a previous poster was right about a gin/vermouth cocktail with an onion being properly called a Gibson, but if the OP's waiter didn't recognize "martini," he definitely wouldn't have recognized that.  I guess with the popularity of vodka martinis, one has to specify gin now. 

Any cocktail glass drink can be served on ice, but normally one would specify "on the rocks" and it would be served in an old fashioned glass.  I get Grasshoppers served that way, because they are too rich on their own (equal parts Creme de Menthe, Creme de Cacao, and cream).

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2013, 02:17:59 PM »
Ogden Nash knew all about how to make 'em:

There is something about a Martini,
Ere the dining and dancing begin,
And to tell you the truth,
It is not the vermouth--
I think that perhaps it's the gin.

My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2013, 02:35:46 PM »
There's an apocryphal story about the dryest martini ever, made during an aboveground nuclear test:

A bottle of vermouth was placed at Ground Zero. When the bomb went off, someone held up a glass of gin.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2013, 02:44:41 PM »
How I order: Gin martini, extra olives. (Some purists will tell you that specifying gin and not vodka shouldn't be necessary, because if it's made with vodka, it's not a martini. Period. But, as others in the thread are lamenting, many have taken to defining "martini" as "any cocktail served in a martini glass.")

The server or bartender should then ask if I have a gin preference and if I want it dirty. My answers are: Tanqueray and no.

Most mainstream places will have Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray and a couple of less expensive brands. I have found Bombay Sapphire to have too much of a bite to drink straight. If I'm at home I use Seagrams because I'm too cheap to pay for a bottle of Tanqueray.   

Purists, read no further: I actually prefer mine shaken because I like the little shards of ice floating in it. It's good enough for James Bond, so it's good enough for me.  8)

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2013, 03:30:53 PM »
You can always say you're trying to live a little longer—shaken martinis have more antioxidants. ;)
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2013, 05:42:57 PM »
How I order: Gin martini, extra olives. (Some purists will tell you that specifying gin and not vodka shouldn't be necessary, because if it's made with vodka, it's not a martini. Period. But, as others in the thread are lamenting, many have taken to defining "martini" as "any cocktail served in a martini glass.")

The server or bartender should then ask if I have a gin preference and if I want it dirty. My answers are: Tanqueray and no.

Most mainstream places will have Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray and a couple of less expensive brands. I have found Bombay Sapphire to have too much of a bite to drink straight. If I'm at home I use Seagrams because I'm too cheap to pay for a bottle of Tanqueray.   

Purists, read no further: I actually prefer mine shaken because I like the little shards of ice floating in it. It's good enough for James Bond, so it's good enough for me.  8)

If you can find it, try regular Bombay.  It has a little less bite than Sapphire.  For safety reasons I like to know where my gin is at all times, hence my love of Sapphire. 8)

dawbs

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2013, 05:47:02 PM »
Ogden Nash knew all about how to make 'em:

There is something about a Martini,
Ere the dining and dancing begin,
And to tell you the truth,
It is not the vermouth--
I think that perhaps it's the gin.

He did, but I always defer to Dorothy Parker on this one...
“I like to have a martini,
Two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table,
after four I'm under my host.”
;)

I'll take a vodka martini, dry and a little dirty, thanks :)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2013, 06:28:12 PM »
WOW! Quite an education on martinis! ;D

I ask for "a Tanqueray martini, straight up, ice back, multiple olives".

What is "ice back?"

Shaking it is not just about cruising the vermouth (or gin if you ask some people) it's about chipping the ice. Chipping the ice dilutes it. Which is why Bond asks for it shaken, he doesn't want I get too drunk.

Well. That certainly is interesting! I'll have to remember that for my next trivia get-together! ;D I bet most people ordering it "shaken, not stirred" don't realize this. I know I said it just to be cutsie. But that just shows how ignorant I am. :P

This was in the 1960s when American cocktails weren't well understood in continental Europe.  In many places, vermouth was a common order.  It was served in the same sort of glasses as sherry and Martini was a popular brand.  Also, in Germany, 'dry' was understood as 'drei'.  It was a reasonable mistake under the circumstances.

LOL! thanks for the explanation! How funny! He was served exactly what he ordered.

(and for those that still don't get it "drei" is 3 in german.)

What I would have done would be to ask for the drink menu. Places which serve a lot of foo-foo martinis are bound to have one. And usually, the first item, right at the top of the list, is a regular ol' normal gin & vermouth martini. So if you'd been able to obtain a drink menu, 99% chance you could have just pointed to the top item and said, "martini". I then would have flashed a smile and possibly made a comment regarding how it might behoove the waiter to learn what's on his menu. After I'd had a martini or two, that is.  >:D

There was a menu on the table and I was looking at it and could not find a plain old fashioned martini. That's why I ordered it the way I did.

I thought a martini with an onion is a Gibson?

Nooooooo. Not more confusion! ;) ;D

Next time ask for "a gin martini, straight up, with onion". If the waiter questions that ask for a manager, its seriously *not* ok for a cocktail waitperson or a bartender to not know the basics. A martini is like a burger - sure there are some variations, and some hot sandwiches that look like burgers that aren't actually burgers, but a line cook needs to know the original!

This is what I'll do next time. If the waiter is still confused, I'll know to ask to talk to someone that knows martinis.

Thanks all! ;D

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2013, 06:37:52 PM »
Hearts full of youth!
Hearts full of truth!
Six parts gin to one part vermouth!
 -- Tom Lehrer Bright College Days
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2013, 11:17:17 PM »
I'd like a White Lady now, actually. Haven't had one in a while.

Give me another cruise with cheap cocktails in USD!