Author Topic: How do you order a martini?  (Read 3330 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: How do you order a martini?
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2013, 06:49:23 PM »
Jigger is needed for measuring. We have a 1 oz, 1/2 oz one from a catering shop. It's much easier to use than a measuring jug.

And the other stuff like Cointreau is used for my White Ladys, which is a martini in a way. But a classy lady's one who doesn't want a cosmopolitan.

wheeitsme

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2013, 08:51:51 PM »
Why? Is it that good? Too good for a martini?

I'm guessing that it depends.

It's more expensive than Bombay Sapphire, but not a LOT more.

It's a nice gin, made well and full of flavor, but not my favorite.  It's cucumbery.  I like the flavors in Bombay Sapphire or Tanquery with lime for G&T's.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2013, 09:23:36 PM »
Well, it was a nice fit for martinis and he used something else for G&Ts. Personally, I like Bombay for Martinis and Gordon's for G&Ts.

And my own tonic water which I make.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2013, 09:48:22 PM »
Jigger is needed for measuring. We have a 1 oz, 1/2 oz one from a catering shop. It's much easier to use than a measuring jug.

And the other stuff like Cointreau is used for my White Ladys, which is a martini in a way. But a classy lady's one who doesn't want a cosmopolitan.

A jigger is used for measuring, not needed. Anything can be used to measure - drinks strictly go by parts, not ounces (most people tend to do ounces, but any standard part can be used). And if there is a spout on the bottle you can measure by time (4 seconds equals 1 ounce, but again so long as its a standard part, any time count will do).

As for a White Lady, still no bitters or syrup - a White Lady is gin, Cointreau and lemon juice (egg white optional).

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2013, 10:19:05 PM »
Some add sugar syrup and I like mine with it, it makes it less strong and has a nice balance between the sweet and sour.

LadyR

• Musings of A Pinterest Mom
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2013, 05:42:28 PM »
I'd b e irritated if I had to pay martini prices for what you were served adn would have sent it back.

I'm not a martini drinker, unless its a girly specialty martini tht my husband loathes. He, on the otherhand, orders a plain gin martini, no olives, and is usually ok.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2013, 06:06:06 PM »
Couldn't decide whether to put this in "Stupid Questions" or not, but thought it might be worthy of it's own thread simply because I don't know if I was being stupid or if my waiter was just clueless.

It's probably been 10 years since I've had a martini. I know that there are martini bars out there with all sorts of flavors.

I went to a piano bar with a friend the other night and decided to order a martini (seemed like a martini type of place ;))

Me: I'd like a martini, please.

Waiter: What kind would you like?

Me (somewhat unsure): A plain old fashioned martini? With onions instead of olives, please. (was I off base here? I remember cocktail onions served with martinis instead of olives.)

Waiter (looking a bit confused): So you would like an old fashioned with onions?

Me: No. I would like a plain old martini, please.

Waiter: Okaaay, what flavor would you like?

Me: You know, where you pour the vermouth over ice -- shaken, not stirred (still smiling, trying to make a joke) and serve it with gin.

Waiter: Okay, gotcha.

What I was served was a martini glass chock full of ice and I'm not sure if there was any gin or vermouth in it. No onion. No olive. I may as well have ordered a glass of ice water in a martini glass. ::)

To be honest, after wine with dinner and an after-dinner Irish coffee, I really didn't need a full-blown martini, so this sat just fine with me. Plus I really didn't want to be an overly fussy guest KWIM?

So . . . how do you order a martini? You know, with the 30-odd flavors on the menu when you want the plain old-fashioned regular straight up martini?

What did I do wrong here?
I wonder if the server got confused when you threw out Old Fashioned. That's also an old basic drink recipe that can be made with Gin and they are making a comeback thanks to Mad Men. But not to know a classic martini doesn't have a "flavor" is just inexcusable. "No flavor please, just a gin martini with an onion."

I'm more of a mojito girl myself.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

jane7166

« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2013, 06:50:52 PM »
I thought a martini with an onion is a Gibson?

I agree with you.  At least, that's what it was called 35 years ago.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2013, 08:10:42 AM »
Just made DH a Bond style martini (sans Lillet, unfortunately) and me a white lady. A nice!