Author Topic: PA, non-communicative boss  (Read 1705 times)

HorseFreak

PA, non-communicative boss
« on: April 01, 2013, 08:35:03 PM »
I started a brand new job in a new area a few months ago and in general it's pretty great. The problem from the interviews on has been my boss' horrible lack of communication and PA-ness. An assistant told me she expected his last employee to do know what she wanted without her telling her and refused to let her know she needed to do certain things since "she should know!" It honestly could keep me from staying long term.

The current situation is this: an important project came into work Thursday morning and I did the initial problem-solving and consulted with an expert (on Boss' suggestion) who said they don't do Standard Procedure A anymore, they get better results with B or C and the extra cost is worth it. I passed on this information to Boss who scoffed and said, "I always get good results with A!" I reiterated I was not comfortable with that plan, nor was I comfortable waiting so long to enact it, but passed the project on to her, only assisting as needed. She made all the major decisions from Friday through today.

After a very long day away from the office I came back to find my boss away on her own duties and my assistant asking me about a problem with the Project that Boss had said Saturday was common and not a big deal. When Assistant asked Boss what to do as they couldn't seem to fix the problem she told them, "That's HorseFreak's project, ask her."

I AM FURIOUS! I cannot fix the problem she created. I consulted with another expert who basically said that an error was made that needed to be corrected by the person who made it. I am not qualified to do so.

It is important to know that while she is my boss, I do work mostly independently and do not have to do what she says just because she's my boss. This is not a "well, your boss said deal with it..." kind of situation and is actually a symptom of a larger problem. I do not like the way she does many things and when I have to handle her projects I do them the way I think is right.

I am also a tad cranky that she asked me to take on her emergency projects Saturday because she has horrible time management and scheduled something that left her unavailable for most of the day. I got guilt tripped into working over 12 hours instead of the scheduled 3 on my weekend off when I was already exhausted. Counting this coming weekend this will be my third weekend in a row doing so.

Any tips for dealing with a person like this? I'm already working for below normal compensation and one benefit that was promised turned out to be nothing of the sort.

AnnaJ

Re: PA, non-communicative boss
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 09:15:55 PM »
It is important to know that while she is my boss, I do work mostly independently and do not have to do what she says just because she's my boss. This is not a "well, your boss said deal with it..." kind of situation and is actually a symptom of a larger problem. I do not like the way she does many things and when I have to handle her projects I do them the way I think is right.

The italicized is confusing to me - are you an independent contractor or report to someone else at the company?  Strategies are different, I think, if your boss is not in charge of your evaluations, and has no impact on salary or termination decisions.

HorseFreak

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 09:51:50 PM »

The italicized is confusing to me - are you an independent contractor or report to someone else at the company?  Strategies are different, I think, if your boss is not in charge of your evaluations, and has no impact on salary or termination decisions.

She is in charge of me as she hired me and is my employer (very small business). She could fire me if she wanted and she can reprimand me for things I've done that she doesn't like, but I work on commission and my license is my own. There are expectations that I won't do exactly as she does. I have had to stand up and say I will not do something she does that I don't believe in and it caused a small uproar, but in the grand scheme of my employment it's not a big deal. It's hard to explain without giving away details, but her actions can put me in a bad position for my future livelihood. This is not a typical office environment where if your boss says, "I want you to design our letterhead with unicorns fighting dinosaurs," you have to do it or lose your job. I hope that's clear, I'm pretty tired right now.

For the record, I never throw Boss under the bus even though it gets tough being diplomatic when our approaches are very different.

Cami

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 03:58:42 PM »
In my experience, you cannot get around or through someone like that.

We once had a supervisor like this in our office. Behind her back she was known as Mrs. Read My Mind Dangit!

Mrs. Read My Mind Dangit! has since been transferred three times. Each time the people working directly with her have ended up quitting/retiring. Her current assistant is playing the game of, "She's closer to retirement than I am, so I am waiting her out." In the meantime, I believe she throws darts at a dartboard with a photograph on it on Friday nights.