Author Topic: Not rude, but baffling, behavior at work  (Read 9003 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Not rude, but baffling, behavior at work
« on: April 02, 2013, 09:51:11 AM »
As some of you may know, I recently moved from Arkansas to Georgia. I'd also previously lived, for a number of years, in Florida, and worked in a professional setting for most of that time, post-college. In other words, this isn't my first time working in an office complex.

However, I've encountered some utterly baffling behavior since I've been here. Not rude, exactly (although you could certainly argue that some of the personal grooming stuff in public is bordering on rude, if not just outright rude). Am I just noticing this for the first time? Is this somehow just an Atlanta thing? Or have we been moving this way and I'm just seeing it more since I spent the last year in Arkansas mostly working from home? Any insight people can give is truly appreciated. I'm stumped!

-- Women, professionally dressed, wearing bathroom slippers (sometimes really horrible, ratty things) and carrying heels that they obviously are uncomfortable wearing. This is all on concrete (no grass path or anything) so no chance of damaging the heels.
-- Women sitting in their cars, putting on full makeup. I parked next to one (I was finishing a chapter of my audiobook, and so stayed in my car for a few moments) who was applying false eyelashes in her car's mirror!
-- People using MANY layers of seat covers in (extremely clean) office bathrooms, and leaving them for others to dispose of. I've heard this complaint from male coworkers, and seen it myself. I've seen what must have been ten or fifteen layers of the paper covers used at a go.
--People walking around with headphones on, music so loud is is clearly audible more than three feet from the listener, head down, ignoring where they are going, in the halls of the office. I've nearly been knocked over more than once.

Any explanation that anyone has would appreciated. It's not rudeness, exactly, but it's certainly baffling behavior from professional adults in the office.

jmarvellous

Re: Not rude, but baffling, behavior at work
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 10:06:41 AM »
I put on makeup in my car frequently and am puzzled about how it could be rude. I know there are windows, but I'm not doing anything embarrassing or private; I just prefer the natural light and the mirror angle is convenient, and I don't prioritize makeup over other things I must do at home when getting ready -- I just add a bit of color/coverage if I find I have arrived with time to spare.

Leaving seat covers behind is unsanitary and impolite, and forcing your music on others is no good, but I don't think the slippers are anything to worry about, just not to your taste.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 10:10:47 AM »
The bedroom slippers thing COULD be that they drive in the slippers then change into the heels once inside.

Also, are you sure the seat covers are all being used by the same person, or could it just be a build up? Maybe people don't realise they're disposable?

Those are the only two suggestions I can offer.

ETA Jmarvellous makes a good point about the makeup - it's not something I'd choose to do (and I might inwardly boggle at applying false eyelashes in the car - I'd be terrified I'd drop them and lose them!), but I wouldn't have said it was rude.

amylouky

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 10:12:53 AM »
The slippers could also be a safety thing. We had a workplace safety meeting where they advised women to take off their heels when going to the parking garage (can't run very well in heels). I don't know why they'd pick ratty slippers instead of tennis shoes.. maybe easier to slip in to a purse?

I put my makeup on in the car, because it's nearly impossible to do at home with DS3 and DS5 buzzing around. It's just more peaceful.

The seat covers, I'd say that person has a huge germ phobia. Leaving them on the seat.. yes, very rude.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 10:19:07 AM »
I guess the makeup thing, which is one of the things I find most rude, is because as a child, and even well into adulthood I was always told that there were two places you could do something more than touch up lipstick or remove an eyelash - a bathroom or a bedroom. This is taking place in a darkened parking garage - not a natural light issue.

As for the seat covers, it's definitely one person. They are all precisely aligned, as if they were all pulled from the package together - no way that would happen if multiple people did it.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 10:21:11 AM »
How putting makeup on in the car rude? It does not affect anyone else.

lowspark

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 10:22:46 AM »
The toilet seat covers thing is rude. I've seen it a few times, where they will just leave it sitting there. I don't really understand why they can't push it in before flushing.

Make-up? I think women have been putting make up on in the car since the invention of the mirror on the visor. Nothing new or unusual there, and I can't see anything rude about it.

The music thing can be annoying but yeah, nowadays, pretty common.

As far as the slippers, I've only ever seen one person do it. A woman who formerly worked in my office would keep a pair at her desk and walk around in them at the office. I found rather peculiar as she wore her regular shoes to and from work and switched to slippers in the office. I thought she was doing it backwards! When I'm in the office is where I want to wear my cute shoes. I can see wearing some kind of flats or sneakers to and from the office if you're doing a lot of walking on rough surfaces and want to save your heals from getting worn out. I don't think what she did was rude but it sure wasn't the fashion statement I'd want to make at work.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 10:23:46 AM »
How putting makeup on in the car rude? It does not affect anyone else.

I said that *I* found it rude, because of what I have been taught (mom gave me the Miss Manners books when I was a teen) most of my life. In my previous post I said I wasn't sure that it was, now, rude, but still was baffling.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 10:47:24 AM »
I've actually done the slippers thing at work. The strap on my shoe broke, and the only thing I had to wear instead was a pair of slippers in my car. So I shuffled around in slippers for the rest of the day.

I've also seen women who wear super high heels doing it on their way to and from work. They wear slippers or sneakers on their way in, then change into the heels when they get to the office.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 10:55:23 AM »
I don't care if people put on makeup in their car as long as it's not while they're actually driving said car.  ;D

As for the shoes, I often walk to work, and even when I don't, I have a bit of a walk to the bus stop. If I'm wearing really dressy shoes, I'll often wear sneakers for the walk, both for comfort and to keep from damaging the shoes if there's mud/road salt/etc. They go in my tote bag once I get to work.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 11:07:29 AM »
-- Women, professionally dressed, wearing bathroom slippers (sometimes really horrible, ratty things) and carrying heels that they obviously are uncomfortable wearing. This is all on concrete (no grass path or anything) so no chance of damaging the heels.

Walking on concrete in uncomfortable shoes hurts worse than walking on a carpeted or otherwise soft surface. It's not about risking damage to the heels. It's the fact that the shoes probably hurt to wear for long periods of time, and walking on a concrete, tile, or hard surface is harder on your feet.

TheBardess

• I would not, could not with a goat...
    • Books in My Head
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 11:17:21 AM »

Walking on concrete in uncomfortable shoes hurts worse than walking on a carpeted or otherwise soft surface. It's not about risking damage to the heels. It's the fact that the shoes probably hurt to wear for long periods of time, and walking on a concrete, tile, or hard surface is harder on your feet.

Plus, you can definitely damage heels on concrete, especially if the sidewalk is pitted or uneven. It can be easy to scuff or scratch your shoes or have a thin heel get caught in a wide crack or hole.

I'm not really sure why you seem to care so much about what other people wear on their feet, though. And I don't see anything at all "baffling" or even unprofessional about wearing comfy, practical shoes to walk/drive and then changing into more "professional" shoes once you get to work. Makes perfect sense to me.
"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies DO divert me, I own- and I laugh at them whenever I can." -Jane Austen

Literary Adventures! http://thebooksinmyhead.blogspot.com

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 11:17:36 AM »
 I don't see anything wrong with either the slippers or the makeup. 

The toilet seat covers  I do think is rude.  It's always polite to clean up after yourself in the  bathroom.

And the music thing, I could go either way.  It's definitely annoying.  If the music is so loud that it disturbs others working or they run into other people things, then I'd go with inconsiderate.  If someone is just listening while walking, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

TheBardess

• I would not, could not with a goat...
    • Books in My Head
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 11:21:58 AM »

-- Women sitting in their cars, putting on full makeup. I parked next to one (I was finishing a chapter of my audiobook, and so stayed in my car for a few moments) who was applying false eyelashes in her car's mirror!

...So? Maybe she was running late that morning and didn't have time to finish her makeup at home. Maybe, like another poster here, her house is chaotic in the morning, and she just finds it easier and a little more peaceful to take a few quiet minutes in her car before work. Maybe she stops for breakfast on the way to work and prefers to do her makeup after she eats so that it is fresh when she gets to work.  Again, I fail to see anything rude, unprofessional, or "baffling" here and I'm kind of surprised that you seem to be so invested and expending so much mental energy on something that doesn't affect you.
"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies DO divert me, I own- and I laugh at them whenever I can." -Jane Austen

Literary Adventures! http://thebooksinmyhead.blogspot.com

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 11:27:18 AM »
Like most others, I'm more baffled by your stance on the make-up then the act of putting make-up on in a car. A person's car might have windows, but it is their private space and if anyone was rude, it was you for watching them with such detail as to know exactly what they were doing (putting on falsies)! Just because someone, somewhere told you it was rude to put on make-up outside a bathroom or bedroom, doesn't make it so. its astonishingly normal to put on make-up in a car, and in fact much more appropriate IMO then to go into work and put it on in the restroom there.

The slippers, I'm trying to picture. In NYC it is very common for women who commute to not wear their heels out and about, but rather comfortable shoes. And sure some women have nice flats they change into, but many wear flip flops, or cheap mesh slip on shoes often sold at street vendors for about $5-8. They can get a bit ratty looking after a few wears. But they are still much more comfortable then heels - and heels are very unhealthy to wear, so even ratty slip-ons are IMO always a better choice. They also sell these cute tiny slip-ons that are like slippers in most drug stores these days to slip on at the end of a long night or when your feet are tired - they even come with a pouch to store them in your purse.

The music and the toilet seat covers though, are both certainly rude and crude behaviors.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:29:01 AM by WillyNilly »