Author Topic: Graduation Announcements Vs. Invitations  (Read 6819 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Graduation Announcements Vs. Invitations
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2014, 03:43:46 PM »
This comment is not very helpful, I know but this is just one of those things I find quite baffling/fascinating about US culture. 

Graduations here (whether High School or University) aren't really a thing to be announced.  Parents and perhaps siblings or a partner might be invited to the ceremony but if there's any kind of celebratory party its an "I'll be drinking in this pub if you wanna come too" style.

May I as where you are from (out of curiosity :).

Around here (northern europe) graduation from high school (or the equivalent) is big thing. For the ceremony, usually only close family is there (parents, siblings, maybe grandparents, usually the seats are limited). But after that most commonly there is a cake&coffee served, most often at the graduate's home, which is basically free for anyone to drop by and congratulate the graduate, no invitations needed by etiquette. Though often invitations are send especially to relatives living far away to give the details and those who are especially hoped to be there. But neighbors and parents' colleagues may just drop by.

Australia.  I'm also surprised that this is a gift giving occasion for some people.

Highschool: We had a ceremony at school during school hours.  My parents attended.  No follow up celebration.  Maybe a party at a students house, for students only?

Uni: Evening graduation ceremony followed by a cocktail party hosted by the uni.  Parents and husband attended- capped at 3 guests.

Supreme Court Admission: Daytime weekday admission ceremony.  Parents and husband attended - capped at 3 guests.  Went to lunch after along with the friend who moved my admission.

I got a congratulations card from my ILs for either my uni/admission.  My sister probably phoned me. 

It never occurred to me that anyone else would care.

I'm in Canada, and secondary-school graduation here too is very low-key compared to the US.  Of course there's a ceremony, but generally it will only be attended by parents, or perhaps very close relative such as grandparents - if there's room. Generally only parents or again, sometimes very close relatives, will give gifts. And while parents might hold a party for their child and his/her friends, there usually will not be a party that includes neighbours, parents' friends etc.  Overall, graduation here is considered to be an expectation (although some kids need a modified program) rather than a significant achievement. 

I'm not saying that it would be "rude" for anyone to send HS graduation announcements here, but it would be raised-eyebrow territory.

It's very interesting to see the regional differences, for sure.

In the US, HS graduation is also expected, but that doesn't mean it's odd to celebrate when a young adult transitions to a new stage in life. Life transitions are normally celebrated for many things. In most Jewish families, turning 13 is expected but a bah mitzvah still celebrates the transition. Shoot, in most families getting married is the norm so do you think that shouldn't be celebrated because it's an accomplishment of the majority obtains?

I think those outside of the States may be misunderstanding the intent of these celebrations. It really isn't a "Wow, you graduated! I'm so impressed." It's more of a "we are proud of the young adult you've become and we wish you will in the next phase of your life."

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2014, 05:23:39 PM »
There's also the "Hey Par-tay!" aspect of it too.  I mean you don't really need a reason to hold a gathering/party but graduations are handy because they typically happen near holidays or at the beginning of summer. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2014, 05:28:19 PM »
And, the end of school, in a big way. Sure, college is ahead, but that's more optional; kids are done with the mandatory schooling of elementary/middle/high school, and that's a reason to celebrate!!

katycoo

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2014, 08:40:24 PM »
And, the end of school, in a big way. Sure, college is ahead, but that's more optional; kids are done with the mandatory schooling of elementary/middle/high school, and that's a reason to celebrate!!

Yes.  But remember also that 18 is the legal drinking age here.  Highschool graduates want to go out to bars with their friends to celebrate, not hang at home chatting to neighbours who pop by.