General Etiquette > Family and Children

Graduation Announcements Vs. Invitations

<< < (2/7) > >>

TootsNYC:
Announcements are nice when they come from kids I don't know that well.

Because I'm always saying, "How old is your kid, now? Isn't he about due to graduate?"

And when I get the announcement, then I know!

Surianne:

--- Quote from: TootsNYC on April 02, 2013, 03:38:05 PM ---Announcements are nice when they come from kids I don't know that well.

Because I'm always saying, "How old is your kid, now? Isn't he about due to graduate?"

And when I get the announcement, then I know!

--- End quote ---

So true!  A photo would be nice to have as part of the announcement, too.  Grad announcements/invites aren't really done where I am, but if I received one I wouldn't see it as a gift grab at all.

katycoo:
This comment is not very helpful, I know but this is just one of those things I find quite baffling/fascinating about US culture. 

Graduations here (whether High School or University) aren't really a thing to be announced.  Parents and perhaps siblings or a partner might be invited to the ceremony but if there's any kind of celebratory party its an "I'll be drinking in this pub if you wanna come too" style.

jaxsue:

--- Quote from: Zizi-K on April 02, 2013, 02:45:17 PM ---The actual graduation ceremony is often difficult to attend unless you are immediate family. Not only are there restrictions on how many tickets you can obtain, but they are often hours long and mind-numbingly boring. People who get offended about not being invited to the ceremony seem quite ignorant about how these things work.

--- End quote ---

This. In my experience, graduates are given only so many tickets for the graduation ceremony. My younger DS got 4. And you're right...the ceremonies are pretty tedious!  :)

jaxsue:

--- Quote from: katycoo on April 02, 2013, 07:06:54 PM ---This comment is not very helpful, I know but this is just one of those things I find quite baffling/fascinating about US culture. 

Graduations here (whether High School or University) aren't really a thing to be announced.  Parents and perhaps siblings or a partner might be invited to the ceremony but if there's any kind of celebratory party its an "I'll be drinking in this pub if you wanna come too" style.

--- End quote ---

Oh, it gets better! We now have graduation ceremonies for preschool, Kindergarten, elementary, and jr. high school! This is where, honestly, I prefer the European way. YMMV.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version