Author Topic: A way to ignore a specific poster?  (Read 1693 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
A way to ignore a specific poster?
« on: April 02, 2013, 12:17:48 PM »
Is there a way to block seeing a specific poster? There's someone that every single time they respond to anything I say is very directly personally attacking or confronting me, and while I've tried just ignoring them, it'd be nice to just not see what they are saying, since they are neither responding to anyone else nor saying anything that would elicit anything but an indignant response.

If not, perhaps in future? Just a thought?

SiotehCat

Re: A way to ignore a specific poster?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:22:42 PM »
There were talks about an ignore feature and a thread was even started about it, but a lot of people were against it. You could always just scroll past there posts. There is nothing stopping you from ignoring them now.

I also think it would be much more polite to send that person a private message and try to work out your problems that way. Instead of making a vague post about them where people can guess who you are talking about.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 12:30:48 PM »
I'm terribly sorry - if I don't want to directly get into a flame war (in private or not) with someone whose behavior is egregious enough that a third party could have seen and noticed it (and in case you thought I was talking about you, I apologize - I was absolutely not, and would have no reason to as far as I know) then I think that's my right - not every slight has to be fought over. I choose to avoid conflict with someone, in as dignified a manner as I can, and was simply inquiring if there was a more systemic way of doing so.

Thank you, though, for further making me uncomfortable. And for making me even less likely to keep coming back here.

SiotehCat

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 12:34:52 PM »
I didn't think you were talking about me.

Also, PMing another poster to try and politely work out your differences doesn't need to result in a flame war. But if you are still uncomfortable with it, reporting their posts is an option. Also, the mods are very good at responding to PM's as well.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 12:35:48 PM »
There were talks about an ignore feature and a thread was even started about it, but a lot of people were against it. You could always just scroll past there posts. There is nothing stopping you from ignoring them now.

I also think it would be much more polite to send that person a private message and try to work out your problems that way. Instead of making a vague post about them where people can guess who you are talking about.

Well stated. There's also the option of using the "report to moderator" feature if you feel personally attacked. If you simply feel disagreed with, or didn't anticipate the direction a thread would take, then scrolling past truly is the best option.

Utah

thedudeabides

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 12:37:47 PM »
I'm terribly sorry - if I don't want to directly get into a flame war (in private or not) with someone whose behavior is egregious enough that a third party could have seen and noticed it (and in case you thought I was talking about you, I apologize - I was absolutely not, and would have no reason to as far as I know) then I think that's my right - not every slight has to be fought over. I choose to avoid conflict with someone, in as dignified a manner as I can, and was simply inquiring if there was a more systemic way of doing so.

Thank you, though, for further making me uncomfortable. And for making me even less likely to keep coming back here.

That's what the report to moderator button is for, if you feel it's so egregious that you can't ignore the poster.

I have to say that I don't understand why you're attacking SiotehCat here for simply answering your question.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 12:38:37 PM »
The forum doesn't have an ignore feature because there's no way to exempt moderators from being put on ignore, I believe. You should definitely report personal attacks to the mods.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Jones

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 12:42:15 PM »
Hi Rebecca, I can understand the thought as I have wished for a "block" before. However, a site I used to frequent is now all but dead, as everyone started ignoring each other and threads were lines of people repeating each other because they couldn't see previous posts. It can get out of hand so quickly.

mmswm

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 12:51:45 PM »
I've seen ignore features go both ways.  Unfortunately, even on sites where they work well, you still wind up seeing what you don't want to, because you can still see what was said when other users quote a person you have set to ignore, or a comment is made about what that person said and it can cause misunderstandings because you couldn't see the post that was being responded to.

I'm sorry you're having issues with somebody.  Given the current features, the best thing to do is to simply not read what that person posts.  I know that's easier said than done though.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 12:59:04 PM »
Please stay with us!!!!!!!!!!

I think we all have people who don't seem to appreciate our posts, no matter what, but we plug along anyway because we feel we have some supporters and something to offer.

You have a lot to offer and I am a supporter most of the time. I'm allowed to disagree, too, sometimes, am I not?

If someone hurts you, go ahead and skim over from now on - I do, unless I want to make a comment and feel I can't do that without reading everything.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 01:03:47 PM »
Thanks to those who have answered the question - and yes, I can see how an ignore feature could spiral out of control if overused. I've moderated e-mail lists that died for similar reasons, and ones that died because it was absent and things got so ugly that everyone left.

This isn't a flounce, by far - this is one of the places that I most enjoy, and that I genuinely put emotional effort into as well as time. It just hurts when there are some people that seem to want to make things into a clique that excludes instead of a group that welcomes, and I was hoping that there might have been a way to exclude that (often very in my face) presence from my day. Since there's not, I'll just keep scrolling past them.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 01:24:35 PM »
Why, yes, there is a way to ignore a specific poster: It's called the Disregard function.  It's located in the dura matter.

If a post is inappropriate, report it.  The moderators will act as appropriate.