Author Topic: Partial Cash Bar  (Read 2518 times)

NyaChan

Partial Cash Bar
« on: April 02, 2013, 02:26:59 PM »
I recently received an invitation for an annual banquet which is thrown by a journal at my law school.  Normally, these are fairly lavish affairs that everyone gets dressed up for and the banquet includes food and drink.  People are allowed to bring guests.  This year, the journal has had monetary problems, which were accompanied by accusations of misuse and irresponsible, self-serving spending.  As a result, the money for the banquet was entirely dependent on how much money they could scrape together at the end of the year.  Or at least that's what they claimed - I am friends with the organizer of the event and she told me that she "had a great budget to work with!"

The invitation states, in part, "We are getting the place to ourselves and there will be a wide array of food and beverages. Cocktail attire is recommended for dress. Members are allowed to bring one guest. The cover for guests is $10. Guests will have access to the cash bar for purchasing of drinks."

I can understand the cover charge for the guests since using the school funds to pay for everyone to bring a date seems off to me anyways.  However, I don't know about the partial cash bar - i.e. A member goes to the bar to get a drink and exchanges their ticket for the beverage while their date is fishing out cash to pay for their own. 

In prior years at my school, banquets for this and other organizations did not ask for money beyond voluntary tipping (in addition to what was already given by the organization) from students or their guests, so I'm not familiar with this practice. 

Have other ehellions seen this done in other places for work or school events?  Did it seem to work?

audrey1962

Re: Partial Cash Bar
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 02:38:56 PM »
Yes, I have seen this done all the time at professional and work-related events. I don't see anything wrong with it either, as these are not social engagements.

SoCalVal

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 03:08:16 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with it either.  Often, at work events, even those who are part of the organization have to pay if wanting drinks above a certain number (like they are given two drink tickets for specific things and want more than two drinks or want fancier drinks).

Kaypeep

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 03:12:05 PM »
I agree.  I'm a member of an organization that gives members a free drink ticket per event, but we can purchase additional ones to use for ourselves or our guests.  This sounds like a professional event, even though it has a social aspect to it.  I don't see anything wrong with a cash/ticket bar.  When I've been a guest, or brought a guest, the guest was always covered for by the host anyway and did not need to use their own money.

katycoo

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 07:08:27 PM »
I think this is a fab way of stopping complete randoms attending with the sole purpose of getting trashed for free.

CreteGirl

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 07:17:38 PM »
Yes, I see this done all the time as well.  Typically, one or two drink tickets accompany each ticket.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 11:11:34 PM »

Yeah, this strikes me as pretty normal.  I've been to professional receptions where you get one drink ticket with admission, and anything else costs you, so if you have someone with you, you have to pay for them too.

If you're inviting a date, though, the polite thing would be to buy a drink for them, rather than exchanging your ticket for a drink while they dig out their money.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 10:04:33 AM »
Totally normal - although, I've seen it even more restrictive where you have the tickets for drinks printed on the back of your badge/event ticket and have to have them stamped individually instead of giving a ticket (prevented people from giving their tickets away and one person getting hammered, or getting all the tickets for a large group and not distributing them - apparently has been an issue with this group in the past).

If it was a wedding, or a bar mitzvah, or something like that, it'd be a bit tacky. For a professional event, no problem.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 10:57:55 AM »
I don't see a problem, either.  It's a professional event, not a wedding or a personal occassion, so even a full cash bar would be acceptable. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 03:55:45 PM »
I agree. In the business world, one cannot tell a professional journal throwing a party for that they should limit the guest list if they can't provide free drinks for everyone. The days of businesses being about to throw those sorts of parties have gone, for the most part, and will likely not be seen again.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

NyaChan

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 05:41:07 PM »
 Ok so it's normal lol.  I guess it just felt weird to me because we (as in us students), hadn't thrown an event with that arrangement before.  Plus they give us tickets (to appease the school) but don't collect them, so in effect if I take someone with me, I'd have an open bar and they'd be paying per drink.  So thanks for the info everyone - it's nice to get some perspectives from people with different backgrounds.

Promise

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 06:53:19 PM »
In grad school, we had a beginning of the year event with food/drinks for members and had a two drink ticket. Why should the school or organization pay for the guest? If I invited a guest, it was up to me to pay for my guest. Another way to handle it perhaps was to up the cost of a guest.

Miss Tickle

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 11:37:19 PM »
I think "guests" in this context refers to all guests, not just the guests of Members. Otherwise Members could hand off drinks to their guests all night long.

So, not so much partial cash bar, just plain cash bar.

NyaChan

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 02:03:35 AM »
I think "guests" in this context refers to all guests, not just the guests of Members. Otherwise Members could hand off drinks to their guests all night long.

So, not so much partial cash bar, just plain cash bar.

No, I checked.  Actually at first I wondered whether that was what my friend meant and just hadn't used the right wording.  When I checked with her, she confirmed that "Guests" meant guests of Members.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 09:30:08 AM »
Ok so it's normal lol.  I guess it just felt weird to me because we (as in us students), hadn't thrown an event with that arrangement before.  Plus they give us tickets (to appease the school) but don't collect them, so in effect if I take someone with me, I'd have an open bar and they'd be paying per drink. 

How many drink tickets did they give you?

If they gave you two, then theoretically you'd give one of them to your guest--no?
Or you'd take your ticket and their order, and use your cash to pay for their drink.

Actually, you're goofing here--if "guests" means "guests of members," then MEMBERS are the hosts (of their own guests, not necessarily of the entire party and over everybody else's guests), and MEMBERS should be buying the drinks for their guests.  And the organizers should set it up so that they can.