Author Topic: How Can I Politely Decline a Lunch Meeting?  (Read 7096 times)

Dorrie78

Re: How Can I Politely Decline a Lunch Meeting?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 02:27:31 PM »
The problem is that Ginger G already agreed to meet with her and she should honor that part at least. A person's word is important. She also represents her company and shouldn't do anything that would give them a bad reputation. In my experience, I'm always careful of the toes I step on today, as they might be connected to the a** I have to kiss tomorrow. Situations like that happen quite a bit in business -- the person/business in a position of power can quickly turn into the one needing a favor.
I disagree that the OP needs to meet with this person. There is a big difference between business and social etiquette and as long as the OP is polite in saying that her company does not need these services at this time but that she would be sure to contact her if that changed (or something like that), there is no reason why that should give her company a black eye.

Ginger G

Re: How Can I Politely Decline a Lunch Meeting?
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 03:42:22 PM »
I met with her once a couple of months ago, right after I got promoted and hired a new assistant.  I thought it would be good taining exercise for my assistant in how to respond to some of the questions we get from these agencies.  I just don't see the need for another meeting, especially on my lunch time, so soon after the first one.  I did respond to her earlier today and simply said my lunch times are tied up for the foreseeable future, but we could possibly schedule another brief meeting at the office even though our hiring situation has not changed.  I'm also giving this lady a little more leeway than I do most staffing agency reps due to her father's relationship with my company.  I would not want him to go complaining to upper management here that I ignored or was rude to his daughter.  In the community I live and work in, that kind of thing happens all the time so it's better to err on the side of caution.