Author Topic: Hosting question. Can I pull a Sheldon and claim my favorite spot?  (Read 5107 times)

Ginger G

Re: Hosting question. Can I pull a Sheldon and claim my favorite spot?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 09:11:02 AM »
Have you got a cat? Just leave something on your prefered spot you know the cat will sleep on and nobody else will sit there because they'll have to move the cat and they can't move the cute little kitty. Then you move the cat and get your spot   Works in my house!

My DH and one of our cats constantly battle over who gets the ottoman.  I don't really understand why he (DH, not the cat) loves to sit on the ottoman so much, but he does.  However Clyde the cat loves it even more.  Every night, DH agonizes over whether to move Clyde or sit somewhere else.  My opinion is that a cat can sit anywhere, human choices are much more limited, so the cat needs to move.

To answer the OP's question, in this situation, I do think you have a right to your preferred seating since you are really doing your HBO-less friends a favor, not hosting in the traditional sense.  However, I think I would try to get to the seat first.  I would personally find it awkward to ask someone to move, although you would well be within your rights in my opinions.

Redsoil

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 09:22:39 AM »
Can't see a problem with "doing a Sheldon", but then I'm biased.  Anyone who knows me knows I have "my chair".

And yes, even at theatres and the like, I have a designated seat that I prefer.  :)
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 09:33:33 AM »
You are putting time/effort/money into hosting week after week so I think it is okay to say "Guys, I wanted to let you know I am going to pull a Sheldon Cooper and claim the right side of the sofa."

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2013, 09:34:33 AM »
The fact that you are the only one with HBO does make a difference to me.  Not only do you have a right to a comfy seat but I hope they help in bringing food to the "party." 

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2013, 10:12:28 AM »
I wouldn't think too highly of someone  who always claimed a prize seat. There are exceptions, of course, such as when a medical condition makes it necessary.

This thread reminds me of someone I used to know. No matter what the situation, she'd lay claim to the best chair, the best bedroom (sharing lodging), and always very loudly. You could see people looking at her with incredulous expressions that seemed to say, "This is an adult?!"

I defer to older people, or people with disabilities. At the moment, I'm temporarily disabled (fractured ankle), in a cast, and walking with a cane. In the past I had no problem with sitting on the floor, but I can't do that right now. I'd not demand a good seat, but I'd be quite put out if I was left with only the floor to sit on. In my case, I'd politely ask if I could please have a seat, that the floor wouldn't work.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 10:26:49 AM »
I'm the only one with HBO, so rotating isn't possible.

Essentially, you are actually doing the group a favor. As I suspected (and you discovered), it's not really a true "hosting" situation.

So I think that you are OK in "claiming" a chair by putting your book on it and your drink on it. And you can then be sure to not do this *every* week to assuage your conscience and keep people from feeling resentful.

You can *also* ask your "guests" (who aren't quite guests) to help you with the seating arrangements, by bringing some chairs or pillows each week.

Maybe suggest that a couple of people pitch in $5 each to buy one of these?

http://www.floorseating.com/catalog/catalog.asp?CID=124&CI=450

msulinski

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 10:30:32 AM »
I'm the only one with HBO, so rotating isn't possible.

Essentially, you are actually doing the group a favor. As I suspected (and you discovered), it's not really a true "hosting" situation.

So I think that you are OK in "claiming" a chair by putting your book on it and your drink on it. And you can then be sure to not do this *every* week to assuage your conscience and keep people from feeling resentful.

You can *also* ask your "guests" (who aren't quite guests) to help you with the seating arrangements, by bringing some chairs or pillows each week.

Maybe suggest that a couple of people pitch in $5 each to buy one of these?

http://www.floorseating.com/catalog/catalog.asp?CID=124&CI=450

I guess it depends on how it is presented. If the OP is inviting everyone over, then it is still a hosting situation, whether or not anyone else has HBO. If people are asking to come over to watch HBO, that is different.

OP, you don't have to host every week if you start to feel your guests are taking advantage of you. Maybe taking a week off here or there will prompt someone else to subscribe to HBO so that your group can start rotating.

I've found that some reciprocity in hosting is essential, otherwise, the constant host can start to feel resentful of the guests.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2013, 10:36:39 AM »
OK, someone has to ask: Who is Sheldon?

This thread makes me think how territorial my own family has gotten.  My son has "his" gaming chair.  Husband has a special chair for his hip issues (but the rest of us can sit on it when he's not there).  The cats have picked out their beds, their chairs, even their respective spots in the bathroom when they "guard" us  ;D.

As to the OP, I think the best solution is to invite a smaller group so that noone has a "bad" seat, or ask if anyone can bring fold-up chairs.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2013, 10:48:54 AM »
Game of Thrones? You could have your own every week. It would be thematic.

Sheldon is a character from The Big Bang Theory who doesn't let anyone sit in his corner of the couch.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2013, 11:02:21 AM »
OK, someone has to ask: Who is Sheldon?

This thread makes me think how territorial my own family has gotten.  My son has "his" gaming chair.  Husband has a special chair for his hip issues (but the rest of us can sit on it when he's not there).  The cats have picked out their beds, their chairs, even their respective spots in the bathroom when they "guard" us  ;D.

As to the OP, I think the best solution is to invite a smaller group so that noone has a "bad" seat, or ask if anyone can bring fold-up chairs.

He's the best character on TV, on The Big Bang Theory. Bazinga!

dearabby

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2013, 11:11:15 AM »
guihong, Sheldon is a character on the show "Big Bang Theory" who has "his" spot on the couch.  Nobody is allowed to sit in his spot ;)

Margo, there are 2 people who end up on the floor on low lawn chairs, so as plush as the floor can get.  ;)  (this one, exactly: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002H40IQS/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) One friend prefers to lay on pillows/blankets, another to sit on a dining chair.

At this point, I think inviting fewer people would cause more friction than any other solution.  These people have been coming for 2 years, are into the story line, and we all know each other, so it would be awkward to suddenly not invite somebody. (I could see that becoming a "why don't you like so & so anymore" type thing) While I am inviting them over, it's kind of a standing invitation, too.

I'm thinking of just announcing before we sit down, that there's a limited amount of couch/chair space, so each of us will need to rotate onto the floor or other chair at some point & don't feel like you have an assigned seat.  I was just looking at it, and we'd each only need to sit on the floor once or twice, which makes me think we simply got in a rut of sitting in the same spot. I'll leave my knitting & drink by my chair this time, but plan on rotating to the floor at some point, too. Does that sound like a good solution?

CoryanderX

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2013, 11:59:46 AM »
When I saw the thread title, my immediate thought was "Nope," but on reading the situation I agree with others who say this is not the same as hosting a party. You're doing your friends a favor by letting them come and watch every week; they should be the ones showing their appreciation to you by letting you pick your seat, or at the very least not leaving you with the worst spot all the time.

I think your solution sounds good.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2013, 12:00:44 PM »
I think you might also do the group a service if you say, "You know what? I've just realized, I'm always sitting on the floor. I'd like a chair tonight."

Then they can do the thinking *themselves* about how that's uncomfortable; about  how it's easy to get into a rut; etc.

turnip

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2013, 12:38:53 PM »
I wouldn't think too highly of someone  who always claimed a prize seat. There are exceptions, of course, such as when a medical condition makes it necessary.

This thread reminds me of someone I used to know. No matter what the situation, she'd lay claim to the best chair, the best bedroom (sharing lodging), and always very loudly. You could see people looking at her with incredulous expressions that seemed to say, "This is an adult?!"

I defer to older people, or people with disabilities. At the moment, I'm temporarily disabled (fractured ankle), in a cast, and walking with a cane. In the past I had no problem with sitting on the floor, but I can't do that right now. I'd not demand a good seat, but I'd be quite put out if I was left with only the floor to sit on. In my case, I'd politely ask if I could please have a seat, that the floor wouldn't work.

Yea, I mean - I understand the sympathetic responses you are getting.   I understand that hosting week after week can get to be a burden.   But I can't help but feel that if in a couple of weeks, one of your guests started a topic with "I went to a friend's house and she announced that she was sitting in the big chair, while I had to settle for the floor" there would be a lot of declarations of "Breathtakingly rude!" without pausing for other details.   

It's a risk. 

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2013, 02:03:10 PM »
OP, it is important that you realize this truly isn't hosting in the true sense of the word.  You are doing your friends a favor by providing the location for HBO.  They, in turn, should show gratitude by helping to supply food and drinks and at the very least, give you a good seat instead of taking it for themselves.