General Etiquette > Family and Children

Declining Treat

(1/5) > >>

LadyR:
Today we were in a hurry so we stopped at Popular Fast Food chain for lunch. DS had just woken up from his nap, was hungry and was a little cranky. He was offered a balloon and refused it, freaking out, I took him to our table to try and calm him while DH got our food. DH showed up with our order, plus a small thing of ice cream that the woman behind the counter gave him as a treat for DS. I didn't want it to go to waste, so I gave him the ice cream, but I wasn't thrilled at rewarding him for having a temper tantrum (though as soon as the food arrived, he calmed right down, he was very hungry), especially after he had refused the balloon. I conveyed this to DH, who agreed with me, but didn't know what to say as the woman had already dished up the ice cream. How should we handle this next time?

NyaChan:
Were you at Culvers?  I ask because their kids meals automatically come with dessert, so in that case may not have been anything more than her just giving what she would have otherwise.

Sharnita:
She might have seen it as a peace offering for frightening him with the balloon.

LadyR:

--- Quote from: NyaChan on April 02, 2013, 06:47:43 PM ---Were you at Culvers?  I ask because their kids meals automatically come with dessert, so in that case may not have been anything more than her just giving what she would have otherwise.

--- End quote ---

Nope, never even heard of Culvers. Think Golden Arches, definitely not standard (we didn't even order him a kid's meal, he's 18 months, he stills shares our food).

Moray:
Hmm, sounds like the lady behind the counter did nothing wrong. If something like this ever happens again, the appropriate thing to do is dispose of the ice cream (into the trash, or into you or your husband). This sounds like it might also a good time to discuss with your husband that it's okay to say no, even to explain "he's not allowed treats if he throws a tantrum. Thanks, though!", or to just throw it in the trash.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version