General Etiquette > Family and Children

Declining Treat

<< < (2/5) > >>

JenJay:
I think it was a nice gesture. It may have been her way of trying to make up for accidentally upsetting him with the balloon, or maybe she thought an ice cream would cheer him up and that would be nice for you. I can understand not wanting to reward a tantrum though. I probably would have told him "If you calm down and eat your lunch you can have this." and if he didn't I'd eat it myself.  :)

thedudeabides:
Your husband should have said no if you didn't want him to have the ice cream.  I don't see where the woman at the counter was in any way at fault for trying to provide you with a positive customer service experience.

Docslady21:

--- Quote from: LadyR on April 02, 2013, 06:45:15 PM ---Today we were in a hurry so we stopped at Popular Fast Food chain for lunch. DS had just woken up from his nap, was hungry and was a little cranky. He was offered a balloon and refused it, freaking out, I took him to our table to try and calm him while DH got our food. DH showed up with our order, plus a small thing of ice cream that the woman behind the counter gave him as a treat for DS. I didn't want it to go to waste, so I gave him the ice cream, but I wasn't thrilled at rewarding him for having a temper tantrum (though as soon as the food arrived, he calmed right down, he was very hungry), especially after he had refused the balloon. I conveyed this to DH, who agreed with me, but didn't know what to say as the woman had already dished up the ice cream. How should we handle this next time?

--- End quote ---

Since your kid is young and was tired, and there was a delay between the behavior and the "reward," I doubt he made any connections between tantrums and ice cream. In the future, I think you're within your right to toss it when she's not looking or take it back and tell her you can't have it. You don't have to tell her why, just politely refuse. She was probably trying to make your day easier and it's nice she cared. =) As for your kiddo, well, he must have been really tired--who refuses a free balloon?  ;D

Hmmmmm:
If you didn't want your child to have the treat your DH could have politely said "Oh, thanks, but unfortunately, he can't have that."  Sure it implies the kid is lactose intollerent, but so what.

Otherwise, you could have just put it on the table for later, thrown it away discreetly, or eaten yourself (my choice because I would have considered it my treat for dealing with a cranky kid).

Auntie Mame:

--- Quote from: thedudeabides on April 02, 2013, 06:59:30 PM ---Your husband should have said no if you didn't want him to have the ice cream.  I don't see where the woman at the counter was in any way at fault for trying to provide you with a positive customer service experience.

--- End quote ---

This!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version