Author Topic: UPDATE! on "How To make This Announcement"  (Read 6734 times)

Iris

Re: UPDATE! on "How To make This Announcement"
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2013, 07:29:27 PM »
My DD fractured her arm while in the care of others. However, they had made sure she received first aid, comforted her and stayed by her side until I arrived - and mark you it was impossible to tell that it was a fracture until the xray, all they knew was that she had hurt herself. They also fell over themselves apologising even though I had given full permission for the activity that led to the fracture.

THAT is how normal people behave. This woman is so far from normal that I, for one, would not be having her near my child again.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

misha412

« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2013, 07:47:34 PM »
Add my flabber to the already ghasted ones.  :o

Holy crud monkeys, Batman!! What person in his or her right mind would think it was fine to take an injured child to Urgent Care and basically dump her there? Especially one that is as young as the OP's DD.

If this were my child, there would be no more play dates. I know the girls are friends, but so many red flags.

The other mother (now known as evil woman EW) takes offense that the OP has her cousin living with her and OP did not ask for her explicit permission.
EW will not allow the OP to speak to the situation, she shuts her down.
The apparent safety of EW's home is not so safe since she does not watch the girls.
EW thinks its okay to dump a small child with an injury at an UC and leave her there.
EW does not think its important to inform the OP of the injury.

I would be reporting the situation to CPS. This woman has major problems and I would not trust her with her own child.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2013, 07:57:54 PM »
I would hesitate calling CPS saying that the child needs to be removed based on this incident.   Look into the situation maybe, but since the OM's child wasn't hurt, and might have left her with a neighbor or something, it might be tough to convince them there's a problem at this house worth looking into. 

Mind you, I think the woman's a few eggs short of a dozen with highly questionable ethics, but as we've heard plenty of toxic parent stories from various posters, unfortunately that's not always enough justification for a child to be removed from the home unless there's clearly visible neglect/abuse.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mmswm

« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2013, 08:01:11 PM »
I would hesitate calling CPS saying that the child needs to be removed based on this incident.   Look into the situation maybe, but since the OM's child wasn't hurt, and might have left her with a neighbor or something, it might be tough to convince them there's a problem at this house worth looking into. 

Mind you, I think the woman's a few eggs short of a dozen with highly questionable ethics, but as we've heard plenty of toxic parent stories from various posters, unfortunately that's not always enough justification for a child to be removed from the home unless there's clearly visible neglect/abuse.

I was a teacher for 10 years.  We had the mandated reporter rules pounded into our heads at every available opportunity.  This would have been a situation where I would have felt obligated to make that call.  I couldn't say that the other mother's daughter was in danger, but that isn't my call, it's the social worker's call.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

TheBardess

• I would not, could not with a goat...
    • Books in My Head
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2013, 08:08:34 PM »
Holy moley! That's one crazy update! That other mom is beyond belief- who just *leaves* a baby at Urgent Care like that?? What a horrible troll of a woman!
"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies DO divert me, I own- and I laugh at them whenever I can." -Jane Austen

Literary Adventures! http://thebooksinmyhead.blogspot.com

acicularis

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2013, 08:14:22 PM »
Such appalling behavior on the part of that mother. I would be furious if that were my child. Not because the injury happened --even when kids are well supervised, they can still manage to do dumb stuff and get hurt if you turn your back for a second. But what kind of person doesn't immediately call the child's mother or father when a serious injury happens?? And who dumps a poor child at an urgent care center? I cannot fathom such behavior. I hope Babymoss wasn't too scared.

snowdragon

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2013, 08:17:50 PM »
I am stunned, so hard to believe this level of callousness.

misha412

« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2013, 08:21:03 PM »

I am not saying that the other woman's child should be removed. I am saying that the OW was not watching the OP's daughter, attempted to leave her at the UC, and did not call OP when the accident first happened. That is a situation where the OP's daughter was not being cared for by the person who had charge of her. That is what I would report to CPS. It might not come to anything, but her actions are questionable.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2013, 08:34:54 PM »

I was a teacher for 10 years.  We had the mandated reporter rules pounded into our heads at every available opportunity.  This would have been a situation where I would have felt obligated to make that call.  I couldn't say that the other mother's daughter was in danger, but that isn't my call, it's the social worker's call.

Ah, okay. Having never been a mandated reporter, I don't know what the criteria are for a call.   I do think it's worth looking into, certainly, cause I won't deny that her behavior waved a few flags for me but didn't know if that warranted a call or not.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mmswm

« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2013, 08:44:30 PM »

Ah, okay. Having never been a mandated reporter, I don't know what the criteria are for a call.   I do think it's worth looking into, certainly, cause I won't deny that her behavior waved a few flags for me but didn't know if that warranted a call or not.

I don't want to get into too much detail because I don't want the thread locked for straying too far into legal territory, but I think it would be safe to say that the benchmark for making a call to CPS is far lower than the benchmark they would use to determine if there's an actual problem.  Since we, as teachers, aren't trained to actually make those decisions, so our job is just to pass along the information to somebody who is trained to make those calls. 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)