Author Topic: You can't comment on food choices for children, right? Right.  (Read 4797 times)

lisastitch

Re: You can't comment on food choices for children, right? Right.
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2013, 06:15:12 PM »
As others have commented, coaches don't necessarily have the background in sports nutrition.
Doctors also have generally not gotten much background on nutrition, and many doctors' appointments are so quick that the doctor might not pick up on it if the parents are bringing it up.
I like the idea of blathering about it to see what sense you get--and if you're close enough to the family to be able to bring it up as an area of concern, not in an "I know better than you way", I might.

Iris

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2013, 06:32:19 PM »
Thanks guys. I do know I shouldn't really say anything but I like some of  the suggestions here. I think she'd appreciate the magazine subscription.

Ironically the parents in question have NO scruples whatsoever commenting on what my children eat, so next time they do that I may say something like "yes, it can be hard when they're growing so fast and active. You must find it difficult to keep xx up to speed on protein etc now that she's doing yy so much"or something similar.

Other than that I shall be a good Iris and zip my lips firmly.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Calypso

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2013, 06:44:15 PM »
Oooooh, that is so annoying, Iris! Here you're trying to do the polite thing but they don't have any problem being buttinski's.....sigh.

Here's something I'm totally ignorant about and I hope eHellions who are parents/former teen athletes can enlighten me: if you don't have an eating disorder, don't you get hungry when your body needs food? (Seriously, I don't know the answer to this!)

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 06:52:39 PM »
Oooooh, that is so annoying, Iris! Here you're trying to do the polite thing but they don't have any problem being buttinski's.....sigh.

Here's something I'm totally ignorant about and I hope eHellions who are parents/former teen athletes can enlighten me: if you don't have an eating disorder, don't you get hungry when your body needs food? (Seriously, I don't know the answer to this!)

Of course you do. Even now, when I'm running more than usual, I will eat a lot more food. A lot.

My usual way of eating is, if I'm hungry, I eat. When I'm full, I stop eating. When I've just put in 15 miles, I'm really hungry, so I eat a lot more than usual, and I'll probably be hungry again in a couple of hours, so I'll eat again.  I don't count calories, so I couldn't give a figure, but I'll bet I eat at least twice as much as my husband does when I'm in training mode.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 11:15:58 PM »
I think it's ok to casually mention things that worked for you, or friends of yours in the same situation. Eg "My friend Mary did cross-country running when she was your age. She found that eating a big bowl of pasta the night before a race really gave her that extra edge."