Author Topic: Traveling with picky eaters  (Read 15313 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Traveling with picky eaters
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 10:13:35 AM »
There's a big difference between picky eaters and people who have medical, religious or ethical needs.  These requirements have to be thoroughly discussed when travel plans are made.  We can easily travel with people who are vegan, who keep Kosher or who are diabetic. We can't travel with people who demand familiar North American food in Spain, Iceland or even England. After all, sampling local specialties are a major factor in travel. 

Also, picky eaters who don't have special dietary needs should not dictate the food choices of omnivores. 

BuffaloFang

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 10:22:34 AM »
There's a big difference between picky eaters and people who have medical, religious or ethical needs.  These requirements have to be thoroughly discussed when travel plans are made.  We can easily travel with people who are vegan, who keep Kosher or who are diabetic. We can't travel with people who demand familiar North American food in Spain, Iceland or even England. After all, sampling local specialties are a major factor in travel. 

Also, picky eaters who don't have special dietary needs should not dictate the food choices of omnivores. 

This was part of the problem.  If Picky Eater A didn't like a food, she would proclaim that she "couldn't eat it."  The problem was she "couldn't eat" fish, chicken if it wasn't in tender/shredded form, beef if it wasn't served in hamburger form instead of steak, vegetables today because she had them yesterday, etc.  What's worse is that Picky Eater B, if we went to a restaurant with food he didn't like, would loudly proclaim "This is disgusting! Get it away from me!" and then make a big show of having to eat other food afterwards, which was a bit embarassing.

I do like the plan of alternating picking restaurants, and opting out if the restaurant picked doesn't have anything for you.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 10:30:42 AM »
As a reforming picky eater, that makes me just crazy. 

I can always find something to eat somewhere.  Granted, I eat a lot of caprese sandwiches sometimes!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:42:07 AM by Lorelei_Evil »

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 10:38:45 AM »
She 'couldn't eat vegetables today because she ate them yesterday?'  :o

Most people eat some sort of vegetable every day. 

Cami

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 10:45:44 AM »
My dd is a picky eater and we have schooled her on not thinking her pickiness gets to dictate the food choices in a group.  We also taught her to order "off menu" -- by asking for plain chicken, etc. She also has been taught better than to make comments on other people's food or to sulk if she ends up not liking her food.  She just doesn't eat it.

Even with those rules in place, traveling with her (or my even more picky sister) causes problems. Neither of them can skip a meal because (like me), skipping a meal means a serious drop in blood sugar,  which then leads to negative behaviors and having to spend additional unplanned time finding food she does like. At the very least, we  have to check every menu and deal with the anxiety of their food not being to their liking. Basically, traveling with the picky eaters I know -- who I love and otherwise enjoy traveling with -- leads to a lot of time spent dealing with their food issues.

This was part of the problem.  If Picky Eater A didn't like a food, she would proclaim that she "couldn't eat it."  The problem was she "couldn't eat" fish, chicken if it wasn't in tender/shredded form, beef if it wasn't served in hamburger form instead of steak, vegetables today because she had them yesterday, etc.  What's worse is that Picky Eater B, if we went to a restaurant with food he didn't like, would loudly proclaim "This is disgusting! Get it away from me!" and then make a big show of having to eat other food afterwards, which was a bit embarassing.

I do like the plan of alternating picking restaurants, and opting out if the restaurant picked doesn't have anything for you.
Wow. I wouldn't travel with those particular picky eaters again. The issue with them is not being picky, it's being entitled and immature.

BuffaloFang

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 10:53:07 AM »
She 'couldn't eat vegetables today because she ate them yesterday?'  :o

Most people eat some sort of vegetable every day.

I don't even think she has anything against vegetables.  That day I was pretty sure she was just being difficult, but I don't know!  I know a lot of picky eaters have some serious and legitimate problems with food.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 11:00:20 AM »
They refuse to split up? Well, that doesn't have to have anything to do with YOU. They are YOUR feet. Walk over to the restaurant you want to go to.

Tell them you'll meet them at X place at Y time. And just close your ear flaps as they talk, and walk off.

And w/ the guy who made comments, I'd say something to him quietly afterward.
"Your comments made the whole meal unpleasant for me. Next time just shut up, or go somewhere else to eat."

And i don't know why one can't announce, "If you get to announce where you will or won't eat, and we all have to cater to you, then I have my own list. And I won't eat with the two of you. I'll see you back here at X time."

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 11:05:28 AM »
They refuse to split up? Well, that doesn't have to have anything to do with YOU. They are YOUR feet. Walk over to the restaurant you want to go to.

Tell them you'll meet them at X place at Y time. And just close your ear flaps as they talk, and walk off.

And w/ the guy who made comments, I'd say something to him quietly afterward.
"Your comments made the whole meal unpleasant for me. Next time just shut up, or go somewhere else to eat."

And i don't know why one can't announce, "If you get to announce where you will or won't eat, and we all have to cater to you, then I have my own list. And I won't eat with the two of you. I'll see you back here at X time."

I agree with Toots.  BuffaloFang, they sound extremely unpleasant to travel with.  I have traveled with some picky eaters, but we all take turns and no one makes a scene about having to eat certain things or eat at different times.

White Lotus

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 11:47:09 AM »
I am a vegetarian and now gluten-free.  Within my restrictions, I am an adventurous eater.  Vegetarian is easy.  Adding the gluten free makes it much harder.  I am now the most boring person in the world to eat with unless I am cooking.  But I haul around protein supplements and as long as there is something I can eat, and I am not expected to eat all meals at places where all I can eat is a tiny side salad, I keep my mouth shut.  I think that is polite -- as long as there is something on the menu for everyone, that should be enough.  However, there are great vegetarian restaurants and cuisines all over the world, and it would be nice if we could go to one of those restaurants at least once.  I mean, since I am eating side salads at Chez Meat the rest of the time and chugging protein shakes in my room. Courtesy goes both ways, IMO.  In OP's position, I would have called the discussion very quickly and said, "I am going to Chez Fried Rice.  Join me if you like.  Otherwise, I will see you at Place, at Time."  Nothing impolite about that.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
I agree they sound unpleasent to travel with. I like trying new food and places. Nothing annoys me more when in a new city, state, or country and going to a chain restaurant that I can eat at in my own city if I chose to.

If traveling for pleasure, eating locally is a huge part of the pleasure for me. Even when traveling for business I want to eat locally but am more willing to compromise if we have a large group.

If you find yourself in a similar position, you might try rotating who gets to select the restaurant. Vacationer A picks place for Lunch on Day 1 and Dinner on day 3, Vacationer B gets to pick Lunch for Day 2 and Dinner Day 4, Vacationer C gets to choose Lunch Day 3 Dinner Day 2, and Vacationer C gets Lunch Day 4 and Dinner Day 1. And if anyone objects to the selection, then can choose to eat independently. 

And learn to head off their refusal.

Vacationer A: Let's have lunch at XXX
Vacationer B: I don't want to eat there.
Vacationer A:  OK, we'll meet you back at the hotel at 9. Come on guys.

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 12:36:10 PM »

I'm a picky eater but on vacation I do like to try different foods (as long as it's not looking back at me LOL). That attitude would annoy me to no end. Either alternate restaurants or don't travel with them!

snowdragon

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 12:36:47 PM »

I don't think any of that should be dictating the choices of others.  I won't go into a place where I *know* there will be smells that can set off my allergies, but I have no business saying that I won't split off so that you can try it.   Same with any other choice/restriction/need/ whatever -they don't get ti say " I refuse to go where you want to go, but I also refuse to allow you to go by yourself. You have to live around my choice/restriction/need or I will make your regret it/embarrass you."  Which is essentially what insisting on staying together and making a scene about other people's choices is.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 12:44:42 PM »
this. I think that *everyone* has to give a little - the very picky eaters (or people with allergies or other dietary requirements), have to sometimes be willing to eat at a more adventurous place (or at least be willing to *sit* there), and people who are adventurous might have to sit at the Gold Arches a few times.

Not me. On vacation, I don't eat what I can get at home.
Words mean things.

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 12:56:12 PM »
I just don't think I would have been able to put up with it.  For me, a big part of traveling is sampling the local cuisine (plus I'm a foodie), so traveling with someone that refused to eat just about everything and wouldn't even be willing to split up for meals would have driven me batty.

Trying new foods, dining out, and cooking are a big part of my life and I tend to automatically not form close relationships with people who make it difficult for me to enjoy those things.  The picky eaters I have known just tend to fade out of my life, because I can't share something that I enjoy a lot with them.  If I somehow did end up traveling with a picky eater, I'd have to put my food down.  It's fine for them to decide that they are unwilling to try something, but that shouldn't hinder everyone else from enjoying what they want.  In other words, they can't have it both ways...insist on eating what they want and insist that everyone else eat with them.  It's just as rude for them to refuse to let you (the non-picky eater) eat where you desire as it would be for you to force them to eat where they won't find anything they like.    I would have said something like "I understand that you don't want to eat at any of these available restaurants.  That's your prerogative.  I'll be dining at this restaurant.  You're welcome to join me but I understand if you don't.  Enjoy your evening and I'll meet up with you after dinner."

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 12:59:48 PM »
I'm of the opinion that if they are going to be miserable regardless of where they go, then go where you want to eat.  You might as well be happy.   :D
I'll get there.  Eventually.