Author Topic: Surprise deliveries  (Read 1507 times)

robobecky

Surprise deliveries
« on: April 03, 2013, 10:10:29 AM »
Had my doorbell ring today before 9am.  I do work from home starting at 8:30am, but I'm not a morning person, and at this point I was still trying to get my brain awake and into work mode.  It was a woman who pushed 4 different types of bread into my arms saying she was making a delivery from the senior center.  Also something else about being on the job for only 3 days.  I gave her a very confused look saying "But I'm the only one who lives here and I'm not a senior..." and I don't look like one either, I'm only 34! ;D  She said that she knows I live alone and its a delivery FROM the senior center, and then turned away to leave.  I just said, "um, ok, thanks" and was still very confused. My thought was "what just happened?" I've lived here 2 years now, and have never had this happen before.  Still not sure what to make of this, or what I'm going to do with all this bread.

Anyone else have anything like this happen? 

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
Re: Surprise deliveries
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 10:35:10 AM »
or what I'm going to do with all this bread.

If it's more bread than you're likely to eat, you could always make breadcrumbs with some of it and freeze them - I like to use breadcrumbs as part of the topping for things like Macceroni cheese to help give it a bit of crispness so I often do batches of bread crumbs if I've got spare bread going.

Come to that, you could also just freeze a loaf whole and have it ready for emergencies.

Though I'd probably do none of the above JUST yet - just in case someone else turns up and asks for it back!

Hillia

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 10:38:27 AM »
Can you identify 'the senior center'?  I would probably call and ask them what's up.  If this is some sort of fundraiser, or an outreach program to homebound seniors, someone is looking for their bread.  The center needs to educate the delivery person on where the delivery is supposed to be going.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

reflection5

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 10:42:44 AM »
It was probably a mistake.  I doubt anyone will take it back, I'd freeze it.  But I wouldn't worry.  OTOH, if you know what organization she was from you could call and find out what happened.  If you got someone else's bread you can put it at doorstep for them to pick up.

lowspark

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 10:50:05 AM »
I wouldn't have taken it from her in the first place. I would have assumed she had the wrong person/wrong address and would have let her know that. At this point, I don't think I would eat that bread. I'd just toss it. I would be pretty wary of eating something some stranger like that just thrust at me.

reflection5

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 10:59:42 AM »
lowspark, that's a better answer.  Should have not accepted it and nicely told her she must have the wrong address.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 11:07:04 AM »
This is all sorts of strange.

How did she know you lived alone? And even if a legitimate reason for knowing that (your neighbor volunteers at senior center) why would they send 3 loaves of bread to a home with one occupant?

If there is a way for you to find out the senior center, I'd give them a call. If the delivery person is new, no telling how many delivery mistakes she's made. If you don't want to go to that much effort, I'd be feeding a lot of ducks with that bread.

GreenBird

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 11:57:51 AM »
This is very odd!  It could be a mistake, but I also wonder if it's the beginning of some kind of scam where the person comes back in a few days demanding payment for the bread since you "accepted delivery" of it.  Don't be tempted for one second to pay anyone anything for this bread no matter how sad their story. 

In fact, I think I wouldn't open the door to anyone you're not expecting for a little while.  Remember, just because the bell rings doesn't mean you have to answer it.

reflection5

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 12:08:52 PM »
why would they send 3 loaves of bread to a home with one occupant?

it was 4

It was a woman who pushed 4 different types of bread into my arms

A stranger pushing anything into my arms is too wierd.  I agree with not poening the door if you don't know the person on the other side.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 12:41:47 PM »
...She said that she knows I live alone and its a delivery FROM the senior center, and then turned away to leave...

While I never hid the fact that lived alone when I did, but that right there would freak me out! A total stranger coming to my door and announcing that!

Honestly I would call the non-emergency police number and let them know what happened and ask for advice. I am not a particularly paranoid person, but the idea of strangers keeping tabs on which homes have single dwellers is downright scary.

robobecky

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 01:09:17 PM »
Hmm, you guys brought up some points I hadn't thought of.  It was an older lady, I suspect she uses the senior center herself, so she didn't particularly worry me.  The bread is from the local grocery stores-they are wrapped in plastic with bar codes and labels.  I hadn't even thought to be concerned about eating it.   And yeah, it was strange that she said she knew I lived alone.  It was a very quick encounter, probably happened in under a minute.  I don't know which senior center, there are several in this city although I did try to do a quick search to see if I could figure out what this was about.  I didn't get anywhere, but I also didn't try very hard.  I'll do another search.  Oh, and if anyone tries to claim payment from me, they're just going to get an "I don't think so" and possibly a call to the police if they persist.  I didn't order it, so will not be paying for it!

robobecky

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 01:19:28 PM »
Well, just for the heck of it I called and left a msg at the senior center closest to my house.  We'll see if they call me back and what they say.

magician5

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 04:30:16 PM »
Tomorrow your doorbell will ring again before 9am. In the door will come a dozen gray-haired seniors, who will all sit at your dining room table. The last one will ask you if the bread is toasted and buttered yet.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

robobecky

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
*Snerk*  Now I'm definitly not answering my door anymore if I don't know who it is! ;D

Hillia

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 04:57:58 PM »
Here's my totally hypothetical explanation: the senior center has a program where they receive bread (and maybe other food) from a grocery store, food bank, or other donor.  They enlist volunteers to deliver the food to people who live alone/have no transportation - maybe a form of Meals on Wheels.

Your caller is a new volunteer; she understands that she is delivering food to people who live alone, but she has her addresses confused somehow.  That's why she said 'I know' when you told her you live alone - even though you don't look like a senior citizen, she's assuming you qualify for the program somehow, maybe because of disability.

I'll be interested to hear if the senior center you called is the right one, and what the solution to the mystery is!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools