Author Topic: I know you're not supposed to burn bridges, but.... UPDATE p.2 post #26  (Read 7026 times)

Reika

Re: I know you're not supposed to burn bridges, but.... UPDATE p.2 post #26
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2013, 03:11:40 PM »
I would take it to the Department of Labor. Mom had to do that when her boss royally screwed up her payroll and said that nothing was wrong. They called the main HR of the company, it was fixed that afternoon.

Possibly unrelated, but that supervisor was soon removed.

zainabzks

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 04:58:45 PM »
The Dpartment of Labor is your best friend. By law, your employer is required to pay you three times the amou t die if be is late by x numbe of days.

Call DoL and tell us what happens. We were in a similar situation. Hubby got some money back when the company he worked for went out if business.

Arrynne

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 05:15:03 PM »
I would send in a response that simply states "Dear Boss,  I cannot accept the new terms of employment.  Please accept my resignation effective April 21st, 2013. "

If your existing contract has an end date, you could also offer to work under the terms of the existing contract until the end date contained in that document.

reflection5

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2013, 05:51:56 PM »
reflection5 is right on the money. The next contact you have with them should either be the delivery of your paycheck from them, a letter from your attorney, or you sending them a copy of your complaint to the DOL.

Why thank you , jedikaiti.  :)  But I've learned from others.

SingMeAway, I assume you want to get paid - that's why you started the thread.  So, stop with the emails.  They can alwaus sau they didn't get them or didn't read them, and already they are using stall tactics.

It's time for a certified letter, return receipt.

WARNING:  do NOT send them a copy of your complaint to Dept. of Labor!!!!!!!!!   NO, NO, NO!!!!!  Do not help them with their defense!!!!!

Telling them you are going to file a complaint is noe thing, but once you file let DOL handle it.  You do not need an attorney.   Do not have any more contact.  Do not send any more emails, do not respond to any emails.  Stop with the emails.  And no phone calls. 

Several people have told you what DOL can and will do.  I really don't understand what you are waiting on.   ???
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 05:54:07 PM by reflection5 »

MrTango

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2013, 07:09:28 PM »
At this point, I think the OP has requested/demanded payment sufficiently as far as etiquette is concerned.  In the OP's position, I wouldn't make "one last demand."  I'd file the complaint now, no warning given to the deadbeat employer.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2013, 07:21:23 PM »
You're right about not telling them about filing a complaint. I thought it might induce a nice panic to comply and pay up, but I wasn't being suspicious enough.

I think we have sufficiently advised OP on the etiquette of the initial situation, and may be straying a little too close to legal territory, so I shall await an update, and stand ready with polite ways to tell employer no if & when they do something else stupid.

OP, please update? :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

reflection5

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2013, 09:43:18 PM »
You're right about not telling them about filing a complaint. I thought it might induce a nice panic to comply and pay up, but I wasn't being suspicious enough.

I think we have sufficiently advised OP on the etiquette of the initial situation, and may be straying a little too close to legal territory, so I shall await an update, and stand ready with polite ways to tell employer no if & when they do something else stupid.

OP, please update? :-)

Hi,
What I objected to was sending them a copy pf the complaint.  That will only give them time to develop a strategy.  That's not OP's responsibility and it's a very bad move.  Let DOL deal with the shady employer.  Better for employer to be surprised.

Politeness went out the window in this situation.  It no longer applies.

OP - forget about what you know about what they have done to others and what you think they might do to others in the future.  That is not your concern.  Stop trying to get into employer's head; you're just spinning your wheels.  Your goal should be to get.your.money.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 09:49:02 PM by reflection5 »

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 11:44:22 PM »
OP here. Just some additional clarification. I'm in Canada, so I could contact the provincial Ministry of Labour, but I don't think that they would be able to help much...well, I don't know actually because the owner treated this position as freelance with the promise of a salaried position after a few months.... yet another fib on his part. Sorry I didn't clarify that much, much earlier. I can call into the Ministry's hotline, but haven't thought it would make a difference. I will certainly try though to find out if I have any protection through them on Monday.

Additionally, I don't have a lot of paper proof. I feel like a complete idiot for not following one of the things I recommend to people which is to follow up conversations with a clarifying email i.e. "Just to review what we discussed today....". I have been kicking myself over for being trusting. I always assume people will do the right thing. Anyway, part of my anger at the owner is also anger at myself for not having done more to protect myself.

Anyway, DH will speak to a lawyer we know to ask if there is any point to sending a letter and I will call the Ministry on Monday to see if they can do anything. Honestly, I just don't get how people can behave like this.

Thanks again everyone!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2013, 01:32:35 AM »
Go for the call. At worst, you waste a little time!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture