Forum Administration > Forum Announcements

Parameters of "I Need a Hug"

(1/14) > >>

fountainsoflettuce:
Often I see posts asking for hugs for situations which do not involve the OP, the OP's friends or family, and  in fact, there is no connection between the OP and the situations whatsoever.   There may not even be a connection between any member or lurker of EHell and the situations.
For example, there was an earthquake in Instanbul and some people died and others were hurt. 

Is this an appropriate request?  Exactly who am I giving hugs to?  Yes, I feel sad for the victims of the situations but really, to ask for hugs or publically announcing a terrible situation has happened seems, well, just not right....drama-llama, if you will.   

And to the extent there is a connection between the OP and the situation, how strong must that connection be?  I understand extending hugs for 1 to 3 degrees of separation but, my ex-wife's husband's brother? ex-husband's cousin?   The roommate I had 20 years ago who I hadn't spoken to in 19 years but now we're facebook "friends"?

Finally, how serious must the situation be to warrant hugs?  I understand hugs for illness, death, just having a hard time in life but a hangnail?  poorly made latte?  parking ticket? wearing mismatched shoes or socks?  Aren't the latter more of the inconveniences of life vs. a serious issue requiring some comfort? Hugs for the latter seem to diminish the whole purpose of giving hugs in the first place.   

And yes, I can skip these posts.  But really, if a person keeps skipping various postings, what's actually left to read on this site?  The concern is dilution of this site's content and lowered membership numbers.

Giggity:
POD.

Cz. Burrito:
I do feel that sometimes situations that we're not connected to make us really sad.  I think giving hugs to people you don't know is a way of coping and the hugs are really for the poster.  I can definitely see how such posts might get excessive, but I don't think there should be an outright ban on them.

Lynn2000:
I must admit, I don't frequent the "hugs" folder much. But I thought there was a "small hugs" thread for minor upsets (parking ticket, maybe not so much the bad latte).

Regarding things that are more like natural disasters, I always thought of it kind of like prayer requests at church or something. Like, "Let's all have a moment of silence for the victims of the earthquake." Of course there is a difference between the pastor asking on behalf of the victims, and someone saying, "I need a hug because *I* feel bad about this." I guess if someone is posting the latter, it's a bit dodgy, and if people just don't respond that would send a message. But if it's more like, "This bad thing happened in the world, can we send some good vibes their way?" that seems fine to me.

I would feel a bit weird putting too many rules on the "hugs" folder (though of course, it's not up to me to determine the rules). If someone is suspected of trolling or being extremely overdramatic, I would think reporting it to the mods would be a good idea. But if one's reaction is more like ::) I think probably ignoring it is best. I think it would be hard to draw a line of what is really "bad enough" to post about, but if someone is just looking for attention, not getting any might dissuade them.

fountainsoflettuce:

--- Quote from: Cz. Burrito on April 05, 2013, 12:01:04 PM ---I do feel that sometimes situations that we're not connected to make us really sad.  I think giving hugs to people you don't know is a way of coping and the hugs are really for the poster.  I can definitely see how such posts might get excessive, but I don't think there should be an outright ban on them.

--- End quote ---

Even if the OP has no connection?  Again, I feel sad for those involved but to give hugs? This is where I really start to wonder how far should the comfort extend.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version