Author Topic: I can't say, "The crazy was too much" Help me with something else!  (Read 3989 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: I can't say, "The crazy was too much" Help me with something else!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 07:07:57 PM »
I like dlws92's response very much.  It's gentle and it's honest. It's also respectful to all concerned. 

The problem with any belief system, whether it be purple, green or Robin's egg blue, is that believers will often put their own spin on things.

I've yet to find a religion that I think is inherently bad but, since religion must be administered by humans, a great deal of damage can be done when people start believing things that the religion doesn't actually teach. 

dlws92

• My Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 10:47:41 PM »
Sharnita,

Thanks so much for your insight.  I completely think her purple diety friends are feeling frustrated by her lack of western medical treatment and requests for healing prayer!  And her church doesn't believe there is anything wrong with seeing a doctor.   My friend has been finding support for this extreme healing position online and went to healings/conferences she found.

It's funny you mention that story because I told that story to her back years ago when she was first diagnosed.  And I know her pastor doesn't approve entirely.   My friend's church hired me (I was raised  Orthodox ) tutor their pastor in some biblical Hebrew classes he was taking to get an advanced degree.  The pastor tried to get me to talk about it...along the lines of “Have you ever said anything to her?” and I mentioned I told her the “I sent a boat” story.  Many of the purple diety people go to the same church...and the ones that don't attend churches of the same flavor.  I LOVE the idea of speaking with their pastor.  If nothing else maybe he can offer them some comfort.  That email will go to him Monday AM.  Would it be wrong of me to mention names in that email?

I will be honest.  My friend is an Evangelical Christian and I was raised an in an Orthodox Jewish family.   For the last 20 years I've been more of a spiritual secular Jewish person.  Many of our friends, Jewish and Christian, are surprised that we are such close friends for so many years.  Our teenage boys are best friends.  And I am heartbroken that I'm going to lose her..so much of my emotional energy is going there I just can't deal with the other friends. 

Thanks for letting me whine :)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 10:53:34 PM »
No, I don't think it is wrong to mention their names.  They are obviously sad, angry, frustrated, hurt - and more.  They aren't handling the emotions right but that isn't to say those emotions are invalid.  Hopefully he can help them and at the same time create a healthier coping strategy for everyone.  I will keep all of you in my prayers.

elephantschild

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 09:59:41 AM »
I just wanted to say this.

You are not whining. You're attempting to deal with a difficult, heartbreaking situation with a great deal of grace, and I admire you for it.

Best wishes to all of you.
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling