Author Topic: Manual or automatic transmission: What do you drive?  (Read 6144 times)

daen

Re: Manual or automatic transmission: What do you drive?
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2013, 12:20:59 AM »
I can drive standard. My younger sister is a standard-driver.

By this, I mean that, given a bit of time to psych myself up to it (and some practice) I can manage okay with a manual transmission. I spent six weeks driving one daily, and got to the point of being almost comfortable with it. Then I went back to my own automatic vehicle (I was using my parents' car while they were away, because I needed practice with a manual transmission), and in a week, I had lost any comfort I'd gained. Whenever I drove the Smart (which was a standard with automatic mode) I made sure it was in auto mode.

My sister, on the other hand, insisted on learning to drive in a standard (I wouldn't have considered it), and hasn't owned an automatic in her driving life. She politely opted out of driving a manual when she was in England (didn't want to deal with wrong side of the road plus wrong-hand shifting plus narrow twisty lanes plus trying to impress boyfriend), but otherwise loves driving standard.

She is a standard-driver. I can (if I must) drive standard.

mmswm

« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2013, 09:50:33 AM »

Both boys want to learn to drive a manual, so I need to figure out how to borrow (or rent) one to teach them; renting's a problem since they're both under 25. Anybody got a manual transmission car in SoCal that they'd be willing to loan for a day?  ;D

If I was in SoCal I'd let you use mine.  It's taught a lot of people to drive stick.  It's an older car with a reasonably easy clutch and I'm comfortable repairing it myself, so any damage to the clutch or gears isn't a big deal, so I never mind when people ask to use my car to learn.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2013, 10:18:38 AM »
There was an article in the Toronto Star today.  Young Drivers of Canada (one of our biggest driving schools) is now down to only one standard transmission car in their fleet of student cars.  I guess I can understand it; Toronto is a big city with lots of stop and go traffic so it would be difficult to learn stick but it is still kind of sad that fewer and fewer people will know how to drive a manual transmission car.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2013, 10:20:19 AM »
There was an article in the Toronto Star today.  Young Drivers of Canada (one of our biggest driving schools) is now down to only one standard transmission car in their fleet of student cars.  I guess I can understand it; Toronto is a big city with lots of stop and go traffic so it would be difficult to learn stick but it is still kind of sad that fewer and fewer people will know how to drive a manual transmission car.

My dad's from Toronto, and I can understand the irritation of manual transmission in that stop-start-stop environment.