Author Topic: How do you pronounce words?  (Read 12437 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
How do you pronounce words?
« on: April 07, 2013, 05:42:07 PM »
Clique...
'Click' or 'Kleek'?
I say click.  My husband says kleek.  As it turns out, either is correct.  Kleek used to be the correct pronunciation, but over time click is so common that it has become the norm, at least in the USA.

Any other words?
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
Re: How do you pronounce words?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 05:48:31 PM »
Queue, I say Cue, and I know someone who INSISTED it was pronounced cwayway, no matter how much I said, no, it's CUE! Then again, she was a piece of work in general  ::)

unnalee

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 06:07:22 PM »
The word sauna drives me batty.  It's a Finnish word, and Finnish always has the emphasis on the first syllable.  It also pronounces every letter in a word.  So the correct way would be along the lines of SOU-na (like the first syllable of the word 'south').  I know the most common way to pronouce it in the States is SAW-na.  If you say it like that in the part of Michigan I'm originally from, it definitely marks you as an outsider.

Jones

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 06:15:43 PM »
Coupon.

Coo-pon vs. cue-pon.

I've used both depending on to whom I am speaking.

rosegirl

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 07:15:45 PM »
Tuesday. People who say Chewsday drive me batty!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 07:25:53 PM »
The word sauna drives me batty.  It's a Finnish word, and Finnish always has the emphasis on the first syllable.  It also pronounces every letter in a word.  So the correct way would be along the lines of SOU-na (like the first syllable of the word 'south').  I know the most common way to pronouce it in the States is SAW-na.  If you say it like that in the part of Michigan I'm originally from, it definitely marks you as an outsider.

There is an insurance commercial where they actually say it the "right" way - the first way you describe.  It always cracks me up and makes me wonder if somebody from Michigan was working on the commercial and insisted on that pronunciation.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
Yes, on the sauna.  I'm a Finnish-Portuguese and it bothers me to have the sah in sauna.  It seems that new pronunciation came about with the popularity of spas. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 08:26:20 PM »

There is an insurance commercial where they actually say it the "right" way - the first way you describe.  It always cracks me up and makes me wonder if somebody from Michigan was working on the commercial and insisted on that pronunciation.
I love that!  I saw it, too, and had to go back and look again and draw it to my husband's attention. 

Library Dragon

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 08:29:29 PM »
Tuesday. People who say Chewsday drive me batty!

I'll ax you about it again on Chewsday.   ;)

Really! It's A-S-K!  Not a difficult word.

DS1 hates when people text K.  He asks them how much time they saved by not texting OK.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 08:50:16 PM »
Usually so it rhymes with birds.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 08:53:30 PM »
Okay, now a not-so-smartbutt answer.  :P

Living in Philly, the stuff that comes out of the tap is either "wooder", or "wadder".  That t in the middle?  Hallucination, it's really a d.

Also, I pronounce sauna as "sawh-nah", but that's because in American English, at least, the "au" is pronounced like the word "awe".  Fauna.  Auburn.  Maul.  Cauliflower.  (Although I've also heard "call-i-flower" for that)

CakeBeret

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 09:53:36 PM »
I grew up in Missouri, and the number of people who pronounce it Missour-uh are un.be.lievable.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

JustEstelle

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 11:19:28 PM »
The pronunciation of a couple of towns here in north Texas has been known to make people's heads explode:  Joshua and Rio Vista.  Natives pronounce them "Josh-uh-way" and "Rye-o-vista."  Kid you not.  And the town up the road from me, Italy, is pronounced "Itt-lee."

Then there's also Bexar County (sounds like Bayer) and Mexia (Muh-HAY-yuh).  Oh, and the Brazos (brazz-us) River.

doodlemor

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 11:48:03 PM »
For a small stream, some people say creek, and others say crick. 

For the word lilacs I know people who say li-lacks, and others say li-locks.  Either way - the li-lack leaves are starting to bud at my house, and the little flowers will sure smell good in a few weeks.

Promise

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 12:16:15 AM »

I knew you had to be from Michigan. I learned to say it there and when I went elsewhere, I wondered why they didn't know how to say it!