Author Topic: How do you pronounce words?  (Read 12399 times)

katycoo

Re: How do you pronounce words?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 12:20:27 AM »
Clique - both interchangably
Queue is cue
SAW-na
COO-pon
Li-lack
Creek
Col-E-flower

Tuesday. People who say Chewsday drive me batty!

TEWSday not TOOSday

I don't understand why Americans don't pronounced the "L" is solder (ie I'm soldering this bit of metal).  Why do you say sawder?

Also - Aluminium.  Do you spell it differently?  I never hear the second "I" pronounced.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 12:27:40 AM »
Queue is cue
SAW-na
COO-pon
Li-lack
Creek
Col-E-flower

TEWSday not TOOSday

I don't understand why Americans don't pronounced the "L" is solder (ie I'm soldering this bit of metal).  Why do you say sawder?

Also - Aluminium.  Do you spell it differently?  I never hear the second "I" pronounced.

Actually, I usually hear solder pronounced "sodder".  And we do indeed spell Aluminum... uh, aluminum.  Heck, my spell check thinks your way is wrong...

katycoo

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 12:38:41 AM »
Queue is cue
SAW-na
COO-pon
Li-lack
Creek
Col-E-flower

TEWSday not TOOSday

I don't understand why Americans don't pronounce the "L" in solder (ie I'm soldering this bit of metal).  Why do you say sawder?

Actually, I usually hear solder pronounced "sodder".  And we do indeed spell Aluminum... uh, aluminum.  Heck, my spell check thinks your way is wrong...

Well, there's still no "L" in sodder.  Anyone know why?

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 01:18:47 AM »
Queue is cue
SAW-na
COO-pon
Li-lack
Creek
Col-E-flower

TEWSday not TOOSday

I don't understand why Americans don't pronounce the "L" in solder (ie I'm soldering this bit of metal).  Why do you say sawder?

Because if it rhymed with folder and colder it would sound odd?  :)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 01:38:44 AM »
My first instinct is to say don't ask me.  I just realized after 55 years that I was pronouncing 'opaque' incorrectly.  Looking at it it doesn't have a 'g' anywhere ...

katycoo

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 02:11:38 AM »

Oh but it doesn't!  It sounds RIGHT!  Trust me.  The "L" is pronounced here :)

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 02:23:02 AM »

So is it "sahl-der" or "sole-der"?  Because both sound bizarre to my ears.  Sole-der sounds like a mispronunciation of soldier, and sahl-der sounds like a bad impression of a Southern drawl saying Saudi.

katycoo

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 02:28:16 AM »

So is it "sahl-der" or "sole-der"?  Because both sound bizarre to my ears.  Sole-der sounds like a mispronunciation of soldier, and sahl-der sounds like a bad impression of a Southern drawl saying Saudi.

SOLE-der.  It really does rhyme with folder and colder.

Soldier comes out more like Sole-Ja.  So, similar but distinguishable.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 02:38:56 AM »

Ah, but here, soldier is pronounced sole-jer.  So sole-der would be very, *very* similar.

And what's up with advertisement being "ad-ver-tiz-ment"?

katycoo

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 02:57:37 AM »

Ah, but here, soldier is pronounced sole-jer.  So sole-der would be very, *very* similar.

And what's up with advertisement being "ad-ver-tiz-ment"?

Well, solder could also be Sole-da, depending on how ocker the speaker is.

I would say Ad-VER-tis-ment.  Not AD-vert-TIZE-ment.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 03:04:41 AM »
What the heck is an acai and how do you pronounce its berries?  I assumed it was "uh-KAY" until I saw some commercial calling it "ah-sah-EE" and now I'm wondering whether I just made up my own pronunciation or whether there's more than one.  I'm pretty sure all the contestants on "RuPaul's Drag Race" a few seasons ago pronounced it my way  :P

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 06:49:08 AM »

So we don't pronounce the "l" for the same reason you don't seem to pronounce the "r" in soldier

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 07:32:05 AM »
In the US, Aluminium is spelled without the second 'i' so our pronunciation matches our spelling. 

HoneyBee42

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 08:15:02 AM »
Clique --- click (never heard it pronounced any other way)
Queue -- cue
Coupon -- cue-pon
Lilac -- lie-lack
Tuesday ---- twos-day (like the number pluralized)
advertisement --- ad-ver-TIZE-ment (but usually, just "ad")

One of the ones that used to bug me--portrait.  In the city I used to live in, there was this photo finishing place that ran ads on TV for their "portrait service".  Now, I have always pronounced and heard it pronounced as "POOR-trit"  According to the dictionary, there is also a correct pronunciation that sounds more like "POOR-trait" (note that the emphasis stays on that first syllable?).  This fellow, however, pronounced it "poor-TRAIT" about seven times in thirty seconds.

On pronunciations of place names that might want to make your head explode--not too terribly far from where I live, there are towns named Cairo and Vienna--KAY-ro (like the corn syrup brand) and VIE-an-na (like vie and the name Anna put together), respectively.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 08:28:29 AM »
What the heck is an acai and how do you pronounce its berries?  I assumed it was "uh-KAY" until I saw some commercial calling it "ah-sah-EE" and now I'm wondering whether I just made up my own pronunciation or whether there's more than one.  I'm pretty sure all the contestants on "RuPaul's Drag Race" a few seasons ago pronounced it my way  :P

It's a kind of palm tree, pronounced "uh-sigh-EE".  I too thought it was "uh-KAY".

And Honeybee, the city in Egypt is "KIE-ro", the city in Illinois (btw, "ill-in-OY") is KAY-roe ;).

What is Chipotle?  I now say "chi-POTE-lay", but that doesn't seem right.  You don't want to  know how long I thought it was "chi-POTTLE".

I call the white broccoli-like food "COW-uh-flower", but I guess I'm wrong there, too .

I've not heard "POOR-trit", but always "POUR-tret".

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 08:31:22 AM by guihong »