Author Topic: How do you pronounce words?  (Read 18322 times)

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
Re: How do you pronounce words?
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2013, 02:08:11 PM »
I live near NYC, and my friends here have a good laugh over how I say words. A good example is: Mary, marry, merry. I say them all the same. They say them differently.

Mary, marry and merry all sound exactly the same to me. They rhyme with Kerrie, hairy and bury. :)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2013, 02:55:44 PM »
I live near NYC, and my friends here have a good laugh over how I say words. A good example is: Mary, marry, merry. I say them all the same. They say them differently.

Mary, marry and merry all sound exactly the same to me. They rhyme with Kerrie, hairy and bury. :)

Mary and marry sound slightly similar to me, but neither could be confused with merry.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2013, 03:06:50 PM »

Yep.  :)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2013, 03:16:39 PM »
Re chipotle:

It's chip-POTE-lay.  "chip-poh-dull" drives me crazy.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

NestHolder

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2013, 04:03:53 PM »
A lot of Harry Potter fanfic makes play with the idea that 'Sirius' and 'serious' are pronounced the same way.

They aren't!

I remember reading Mir jokes a few years ago, and finding them baffling, because I (a southern English woman) had never until that time heard anyone pronounce 'mirror' as 'meer'.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2013, 04:28:29 PM »
A lot of Harry Potter fanfic makes play with the idea that 'Sirius' and 'serious' are pronounced the same way.

They aren't!

I remember reading Mir jokes a few years ago, and finding them baffling, because I (a southern English woman) had never until that time heard anyone pronounce 'mirror' as 'meer'.

I've never heard either serious or Sirius pronounced as anything other than "seer-ee-us"  Even from astronomers on The Science Chanel.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2013, 04:35:55 PM »
Mary/Marry are the same, with a long a, but merry has a soft e sound (schwa, if I remember.)
Clique is Click
Solder is Sodder, not SOL-da
Pin and Pen are separate
Tuesday is pronounced TOOZ-day, with TOOZ sounding like Sues.
Mirror, with emphasis on the second R.
Soldier, like SOLE-djer.
Cot is vaguely different from caught, the latter having a stronger emphasis on the vowel.
Axe/Ask are definitely separate words!

It fascinates me that California is undergoing a vowel shift, and that, though I live in Kern, I live in the High Desert and pronounce pen/pin as separate words.  Apparently, the merger is complete elsewhere in the county.

I can also see where she's coming from with Sirius and Serious.  I think Sirius for me has a softer I pronunciation (S-ii-REE-us) rather than serious (Seeryus)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2013, 04:49:11 PM »
I could probably cause this thread to collapse under its own weight, so I'll attempt to use some restraint.  :D

My husband pronounces the word "sure" like "shore" and it drives me bonkers.

"Jalapeņo" is not pronounced "hal-a-PEE-no." That's a tilde over that n.

The names of the days of the week end with -day, not -dy. So Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, not Mundy, Toosdy, Wensdy.

Maysure instead of mehsure for "measure" sets my teeth on edge as do licorish and grosheries.

There is a certain regional US accent that turns short "a" and "e" sounds into "ay" so "bag" becomes "bayg," "leg" becomes "layg," etc. A woman with this accent was once trying to ask me something about "rayg" rug and I honestly had no clue what she was talking about.

Birfday...ugh!
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2013, 04:57:50 PM »
Mary/Marry are the same, with a long a, but merry has a soft e sound (schwa, if I remember.)
Clique is Click
Solder is Sodder, not SOL-da
Pin and Pen are separate
Tuesday is pronounced TOOZ-day, with TOOZ sounding like Sues.
Mirror, with emphasis on the second R.
Soldier, like SOLE-djer.
Cot is vaguely different from caught, the latter having a stronger emphasis on the vowel.
Axe/Ask are definitely separate words!

It fascinates me that California is undergoing a vowel shift, and that, though I live in Kern, I live in the High Desert and pronounce pen/pin as separate words.  Apparently, the merger is complete elsewhere in the county.

I can also see where she's coming from with Sirius and Serious.  I think Sirius for me has a softer I pronunciation (S-ii-REE-us) rather than serious (Seeryus)

Sirius has the stress on the second syllable?  Are you serious?  (Please pardon that pun, I know of no other way to say that!)  I've never heard it as anything but SEER-ee-us, stress at the beginning.

My... my entire life has been a lie...

katycoo

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2013, 05:01:46 PM »
But we generally don't say a strong "R" on anything in the same way that Americans do.  Its not so much that the R not said, its just not as distinguishable due to our accent.

What you are talking about is whether your dialect of English is rhotic or non-rhotic. "Rhotic" comes from the Greek letter "rho" or R. Essentially, it has to do with how you treat "R" when it comes after a vowel. Do you pronounce it or do you use it as an indicator of how the vowel is sounded.

An easy way to tell if your accent is rhotic or non-rhotic is to say "father" and "farther." If you pronounced them the same, more or less like "fah-thah," then you are non-rhotic. If you say something like "fah-thurr" and "farr-thurr" you are rhotic.

Most Americans are rhotic; most speakers of British English are not.

This causes problems when people try to explain pronunciation when writing,  without using IPA (international phonetic alphabet) which many people don't know.

I once saw information on Mexican food, written by someone in the UK, that suggested pronunciations like tarco and salsar. Looked pretty startling to me, but for a non-rhotic accent, the extra R tells you to say "tah-co" and "sahl-sah."

There is a local radio broadcaster, originally from Ireland, who says that a sponsoring restaurant sells "tack-os."

Exactly.  Which is why its not quite the same as a silent letter.   I find it very interesting as most true silent letters are universal (ie "knife") but the L in solder obviously isn't. Are there any Brits online who can tell me how you guys say it?

perpetua

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2013, 05:05:38 PM »

Exactly.  Which is why its not quite the same as a silent letter.   I find it very interesting as most true silent letters are universal (ie "knife") but the L in solder obviously isn't. Are there any Brits online who can tell me how you guys say it?

Here's an audio pronunciation: http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/solder

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2013, 05:14:04 PM »
My Dad's minister was an opera singer here in Canada.  She was taking some classes in London, England on diction.  The instructor went around the room, asking everyone to introduce themselves.  She introduced herself as Dawn, pronounced Don.  The instructor corrected her to something like Dahwn.  She just couldn't get it 'right'.  When the did the same exercise the next time they met and they got to her, she said her name was Elizabeth.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

tiff019

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2013, 05:25:35 PM »
Re chipotle:

It's chip-POTE-lay.  "chip-poh-dull" drives me crazy.

I do know it's chi-POTE-lay (actually chee-POTE-lay in spanish pronunciation), but ever since that Jack in the Box commercial, I always say it a different way when talking about Chipotle with friends (I got there once sometimes twice a week for lunch). More often than not it's Chipoodle or Chipotople.  >:D

Cami

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2013, 05:30:11 PM »
My Dad's minister was an opera singer here in Canada.  She was taking some classes in London, England on diction.  The instructor went around the room, asking everyone to introduce themselves.  She introduced herself as Dawn, pronounced Don.  The instructor corrected her to something like Dahwn.  She just couldn't get it 'right'.  When the did the same exercise the next time they met and they got to her, she said her name was Elizabeth.
I live in the upper midwest and people say Dawn and Don exactly the same. Milk is pronounce as if it were spelled melk. Then there is the town of Shawano that is pronounced Shanno (silent W)!

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2013, 05:36:59 PM »

Here's an audio pronunciation: http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/solder

???   Yeah, about what I was expecting.  No offense meant, but you've got to understand, I've heard it as "sahd-der" all my life, and until today, I had no idea that anyone rhymed it with "colder".