Author Topic: How do you pronounce words?  (Read 12676 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: How do you pronounce words?
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2013, 09:58:41 PM »
The word sauna drives me batty.  It's a Finnish word, and Finnish always has the emphasis on the first syllable.  It also pronounces every letter in a word.  So the correct way would be along the lines of SOU-na (like the first syllable of the word 'south').  I know the most common way to pronouce it in the States is SAW-na.  If you say it like that in the part of Michigan I'm originally from, it definitely marks you as an outsider.

LOL!

I went to school in Marquette and was schooled on the correct way to pronounce that word.  And now...everyone looks at me funny when I do.   ;D
But, scall-ops is also correct.  Isn't it?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 10:10:25 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

bo

« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2013, 10:08:56 PM »
I never thought I pronounced words weird, until I moved to Pacific Northwest State from East Coast State.

They loved how I said "water"..waahter? Coffee. Cawfee? But they also said things like Ruff for roof and crick for creek.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2013, 10:09:06 PM »
Today I caught myself saying "Om in ah" as in "Om in uh go wash my hands before we leave."  I wonder why my husband knew it meant 'I'm gonna..."  (or I'm going to)
It's like "Wudda ya mean?" .  As in "What do you mean?"
What a lazy tongue!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2013, 10:26:03 PM »
"Mary, merry, marry"is one of the standard dialect differential things. There are all sorts of variations.

One survey of Americans found that

•all 3 are the same (56.88%)
•all 3 are different (17.34%)
•Mary and merry are the same; marry is different (8.97%)
•merry and marry are the same; Mary is different (0.96%)
•Mary and marry are the same; merry is different (15.84%)

Here is one suggestion of how it sounds when you pronounce them differently

Marry: Harry, carry. (Short vowel as in fat, cat.)
Merry: berry, Terry (Short vowel as in get, wet.)
Mary: hairy, fairy (Long vowel as in air, bear.)

All those words sound the same to me.  8)

Me too (Great Lakes native)

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2013, 10:58:48 PM »
"Mary, merry, marry"is one of the standard dialect differential things. There are all sorts of variations.

Me too (Great Lakes native)

Ditto, northwest PA native.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2013, 05:12:43 AM »

I don't understand why Americans don't pronounced the "L" is solder (ie I'm soldering this bit of metal). 

For the same reason the British don't pronounce the "n" in Cholmondeley?  ;)

We British don't pronounce the 'olmonde' in Cholmondeley, not just the 'n' and we put in an 'um' that's not even there.  It's pronounced Chumley.

But getting into odd, counter-intuitive pronunciations of placenames and surnames here in the UK would be a massive thread all of its own.

Mary, marry and merry are so completely different, I can't get my head around them sounding the same!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:44:17 AM by starry diadem »
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2013, 09:10:32 AM »

Yep, they all rhyme with dairy, scary, Larry....!

I'm having a hard time understanding the above pronounciation guide - how in the world do you put a short 'a' sound in Marry?? I'm saying it over and over to myself and can't figure it out!

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2013, 09:16:36 AM »
My Dad's minister was an opera singer here in Canada.  She was taking some classes in London, England on diction.  The instructor went around the room, asking everyone to introduce themselves.  She introduced herself as Dawn, pronounced Don.  The instructor corrected her to something like Dahwn.  She just couldn't get it 'right'.  When the did the same exercise the next time they met and they got to her, she said her name was Elizabeth.

Interesting. I say Don and Dawn differently. Dawn has a deeper sound and is a bit more drawn out.

Again...yep. Dawn and Don do not sound the same at all.

Regional accents are so bizarre and fascinating - DH and I grew up only 100 miles from each other (in the same state, even!) and he says Dawn and Don the same. He also says caught and cot the same, which sounds so strange to my ears.

But then, he teases me for saying melk instead of milk ;)

Mental Magpie

« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2013, 09:17:12 AM »

Yep, they all rhyme with dairy, scary, Larry....!

I'm having a hard time understanding the above pronounciation guide - how in the world do you put a short 'a' sound in Marry?? I'm saying it over and over to myself and can't figure it out!

It's difficult for me, and I had to stutter my way through it, but I got it (I think).

For Marry, begin like you're saying the word "mad" but quick take out the "d" and say "rry".

Then try "met" for "merry".
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Micah

« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2013, 09:38:52 AM »
This is a cool topic!

Aussies say the L in soldier. I just tried saying it out loud without the L and it sounded like the start of a question to me. "so d'ya know what ya doin' this weekend?"

Merry, Mary and Marry all have distinctly different sounds. Mental Magpie got it spot on with how to pronounce them.

We say and spell aluminium the British way.

I work in a restaurant that is a very popular tourist destination. We get people from all over the world. The majority speak quite good english, but there are often puzzling issues with pronunciation. How Asian people pronounce Deluxe was, to start with, completely incomprehensible. The same with some of the European countries.

Sometimes when I say something, the customer looks at me blankly, so they obviously have a similar problem in return, lol.
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2013, 09:43:43 AM »
How do Australians pronounce "lieutenant"?

bloo

« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2013, 09:50:59 AM »
Here in the Midwest, it seems everyone will 'warsh' their clothes. I say 'wash'.

I've gotten in the habit of saying 'Wed-nes-day' so I could help my kids and DH learn how to spell it.

When someone says 'let me ax you a question,' I usually respond with, 'You're going to hatchet me a question?' :)

I was confused by 'crick' at first but everyone up here says it. It was always 'creek' to me.

I used to say 'segue' by pronouncing it 'seeg' until my brother said it's pronounced 'segway'. How was I to know, I'd only seen it in books. Same with the word 'dearth'. I thought it was pronounced 'darth' but he informed me it's 'durth'. Whoops.

I say 'cumin' either 'kuh-min' or 'kyoo-min' and have been corrected both ways.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2013, 09:52:50 AM »
Here in the Midwest, it seems everyone will 'warsh' their clothes. I say 'wash'.

I've gotten in the habit of saying 'Wed-nes-day' so I could help my kids and DH learn how to spell it.

When someone says 'let me ax you a question,' I usually respond with, 'You're going to hatchet me a question?' :)

I was confused by 'crick' at first but everyone up here says it. It was always 'creek' to me.

I used to say 'segue' by pronouncing it 'seeg' until my brother said it's pronounced 'segway'. How was I to know, I'd only seen it in books. Same with the word 'dearth'. I thought it was pronounced 'darth' but he informed me it's 'durth'. Whoops.

I say 'cumin' either 'kuh-min' or 'kyoo-min' and have been corrected both ways.

I think the "warsh" thing may be generational.  My aunts, uncles, and mother say it; they all grew up in PA.  My FMIL says it; she grew up in Texas.  They're all about the same age.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2013, 09:55:52 AM »
Scallops - scall rhymes with all and hall not Hal.  Hearing it wrong makes my ears itch.

Where we live, 'scoll-ups' are decorations on clothing as in 'a scalloped hem'.  'Skall-ups' are the delicious things you eat with shallots and butter. 

This brings up the pronunciation of 'gingham'.  Is the second 'g' pronounced as soft or hard?  Here, it's usually soft. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2013, 10:04:53 AM »
Marry:  should sound similar to the first syllable of carriage
Mary: Should rhyme with dairy
Merry: should rhyme with sherry

None of these should rhyme with each other.  :)