Author Topic: How do you pronounce words?  (Read 17130 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: How do you pronounce words?
« Reply #135 on: April 10, 2013, 07:54:30 PM »
My DH is always poking fun at me for the way that I pronounce some words.

Floor is more like fleur.
Three has a rolling r. In fact, any word that starts with "thr" has a rolling r.
Wolf is wool f.
Accept is assept.

There was a Family Guy episode where Stewie is driving Brian crazy with the way he pronounces some "wh" words like whip, what, when, etc... He puts emphasis on the H. That episode was particularly funny to us because I do the exact same thing. Nobody has called me out on it except DH.

Also, a poster in a previous thread mentioned emphasizing the r in February and the p in raspberry. Thats the way I pronounce both of those words.

So do I, but about what the poster in the other thread was making a point is that the offender OVER pronounced them, not just pronounced them, drawing attention to the fact that she was pronouncing them because it made her feel superior.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #136 on: April 10, 2013, 08:05:13 PM »
Back to Mary-merry-marry.

Somebody on a language forum helped me find sound files of people saying "Mary dear, make me merry, say youll marry me."

Speaker pronounces all differently. The difference between "Mary" and "merry" is subtle, but "marry" is clearly not the same. Wikipedia describes it as "Mary has the a sound of mare, marry has the a sound of mat and merry has the e sound of met."

Speaker pronounces them identically

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2013, 08:57:03 PM »
How do you say 'pasta'?

past-a or pahst-a

Pah-sta  :)

Bluenomi

« Reply #138 on: April 10, 2013, 09:12:22 PM »
Haven't had the chance to read all the way through, but I'm always stumped when I watch those cooking shows and they insist that the "Southern" way to say "pecans" is "Pee-cans." Which just sounds gross to me. My mother, born and raised in rural Alabama, has always said "peh-cahns," and so do I. It's a much softer variation on the word that I think sounds much prettier.

Why in the world would anyone want a "pee-can" pie?

I say pee-can as do most Aussies. I had no idea what a peh-cahn pie was when I first heard about it.

It took me ages to link Craigslist as a word with how people in the US say it. We say Craig completely differently as do the UK. I still don't know how the US gets an e sound in Craig.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #139 on: April 10, 2013, 09:20:10 PM »
Haven't had the chance to read all the way through, but I'm always stumped when I watch those cooking shows and they insist that the "Southern" way to say "pecans" is "Pee-cans." Which just sounds gross to me. My mother, born and raised in rural Alabama, has always said "peh-cahns," and so do I. It's a much softer variation on the word that I think sounds much prettier.

I say pee-can as do most Aussies. I had no idea what a peh-cahn pie was when I first heard about it.

It took me ages to link Craigslist as a word with how people in the US say it. We say Craig completely differently as do the UK. I still don't know how the US gets an e sound in Craig.

I pronounce Craig "Crayg"... that's different than you guys?

Bluenomi

« Reply #140 on: April 10, 2013, 09:42:20 PM »

I say Crayg but every person fro the US and all their tv shows etc I've seen say Creg. It took me years to work out it was Craig!

bloo

« Reply #141 on: April 10, 2013, 09:45:35 PM »
Funny! Here in SC I've never heard it pronounced any other way than "pee can." My northern relatives all say it the other way.

I just remembered! My DH and I were in a Mexican restaurant one day and a young mom was talking to her toddler, explaining that, "This is a tortilla." Except she was pronouncing it "tor-till-yuh." DH and I have been joking about that ever since!

Ha! I love the part in the movie Napoleon Dynamite, where Napoleon asked his Grandma how he was going to feed himself since she was leaving for a few days:

Napoleon: Well, what is there to eat?
Grandma: Knock it off, Napoleon! Make yourself a dang quesadilla! [pronounces it "case-a-dill-a"]
Napoleon: Fine!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #142 on: April 10, 2013, 09:46:58 PM »

I say Crayg but every person fro the US and all their tv shows etc I've seen say Creg. It took me years to work out it was Craig!

Saying Crayg very fast shortens it to Creg, that's all.

Not everyone from the US does it.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #143 on: April 10, 2013, 10:39:28 PM »
Oh, I have so many that I would need 10-20 posts just to name them all.  I'll keep to local (NEPA) mispronunciations.

axe - ask
dahg - dog (sounds like a Boston accent with a more nasal tone)
chimbley - chimney (although chi-min-ee is running a close second)
dis, dat, dem, dese, dose, dere - this, that, them, these, those, there (PLEASE people!  There is a "th" in there)
gooms - gums (as in the things that hold your teeth in your mouth)
Doverman Pincher - Doberman Pinscher
drownded - drowned
torTILLa - tortilla
kwehsahDILLa - quesadilla
fillum - film
tanks - thanks
Sayerday - Saturday
Eyetalian - Italian
skettie or pahsketti - spaghetti (I don't mind when small children do this; but grown ups?  ::))

A personal pet peeve is when people pronounce the abbreviation for avenue (Ave.).  It just irritates the ehell out of me!

This. So much this. My uncle taught me how to pronounce Italian this way (he's 100% Italian): "I'm from Italy (pronounced Ih-taly) , not from Italy (pronounced Eyetaly)!"

Also? Deaf does not equal death. It does not have a th at the end. it has an f sound.

example:
Person: Oh so she's death?
Me: No she's deaf, you know, she can't hear.
Person: That's what I said, death.
Me: *bashes head on wall*

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #144 on: April 11, 2013, 12:31:14 AM »
A friend of mine used to pronounce the phone company Vonage like a French word -- "Voh-NAHJ." It's "VONN-edge." He finally got over that but still thinks "futon" is a French word (he says "foo-TOH" with that last syllable pronounced like the French "bon").

There was a Family Guy episode where Stewie is driving Brian crazy with the way he pronounces some "wh" words like whip, what, when, etc... He puts emphasis on the H.

Aha! So that's what that Wheat Thins commercial was about.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Nikko-chan

« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2013, 02:02:09 AM »
A friend of mine used to pronounce the phone company Vonage like a French word -- "Voh-NAHJ." It's "VONN-edge." He finally got over that but still thinks "futon" is a French word (he says "foo-TOH" with that last syllable pronounced like the French "bon").

There was a Family Guy episode where Stewie is driving Brian crazy with the way he pronounces some "wh" words like whip, what, when, etc... He puts emphasis on the H.

I might pronounce futon like your friend does. I prounounce it like Foo-tawn... how is he pronouncing it?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2013, 07:01:10 AM »
How do you say 'pasta'?

past-a or pahst-a

Past-a

I once worked with a girl who told us that for Halloween her son was going to be the Hawk.   When we looked confused (hawk, sure but we were unable to recall "The" Hawk.  She said "You know, the Incredible Hawk."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2013, 08:31:44 AM »
I had a relative who never had a 'snack'.  She always had a 'smack'.  She also complained that a child was not 'destructive'. He was 'distructful'.  We never quite understood this because she had the same education as everyone else in the family and nobody else talked that way. 

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #148 on: April 11, 2013, 09:38:53 AM »

I might pronounce futon like your friend does. I prounounce it like Foo-tawn... how is he pronouncing it?

He pronounces it with the second syllable emphasized and pronounced with that nasally french "ohn" sound. Everyone else I know, including me, says FOO-tawn.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #149 on: April 11, 2013, 09:55:03 AM »

He pronounces it with the second syllable emphasized and pronounced with that nasally french "ohn" sound. Everyone else I know, including me, says FOO-tawn.

Futon sounds like baton the last sound is "on" (like I put the pillow on the futon), the first half is foo like the Foo Fighters, rhymes is moo or stew or brew. Then chuck a soft "t" sound in the middle. I have never heard foo-tawn rhymes with yawn or lawn.