Author Topic: How do you pronounce words?  (Read 17011 times)

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
Re: How do you pronounce words?
« Reply #150 on: April 11, 2013, 10:04:56 AM »
A friend of mine used to pronounce the phone company Vonage like a French word -- "Voh-NAHJ." It's "VONN-edge." He finally got over that but still thinks "futon" is a French word (he says "foo-TOH" with that last syllable pronounced like the French "bon").

There was a Family Guy episode where Stewie is driving Brian crazy with the way he pronounces some "wh" words like whip, what, when, etc... He puts emphasis on the H.

Aha! So that's what that Wheat Thins commercial was about.

I might pronounce futon like your friend does. I prounounce it like Foo-tawn... how is he pronouncing it?

He pronounces it with the second syllable emphasized and pronounced with that nasally french "ohn" sound. Everyone else I know, including me, says FOO-tawn.

Futon sounds like baton the last sound is "on" (like I put the pillow on the futon), the first half is foo like the Foo Fighters, rhymes is moo or stew or brew. Then chuck a soft "t" sound in the middle. I have never heard foo-tawn rhymes with yawn or lawn.

This is so funny! To me, 'on' rhymes with lawn or yawn. The -on in futon rhymes with 'Don', not 'on'. So I guess we pronounce 'futon' the same way :)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #151 on: April 11, 2013, 10:21:08 AM »
A friend of mine used to pronounce the phone company Vonage like a French word -- "Voh-NAHJ." It's "VONN-edge." He finally got over that but still thinks "futon" is a French word (he says "foo-TOH" with that last syllable pronounced like the French "bon").

There was a Family Guy episode where Stewie is driving Brian crazy with the way he pronounces some "wh" words like whip, what, when, etc... He puts emphasis on the H.

I might pronounce futon like your friend does. I prounounce it like Foo-tawn... how is he pronouncing it?

He pronounces it with the second syllable emphasized and pronounced with that nasally french "ohn" sound. Everyone else I know, including me, says FOO-tawn.

Futon sounds like baton the last sound is "on" (like I put the pillow on the futon), the first half is foo like the Foo Fighters, rhymes is moo or stew or brew. Then chuck a soft "t" sound in the middle. I have never heard foo-tawn rhymes with yawn or lawn.

This is so funny! To me, 'on' rhymes with lawn or yawn. The -on in futon rhymes with 'Don', not 'on'. So I guess we pronounce 'futon' the same way :)

To me Don, on, baton, moron to me all have the same "ahn" sound, like the Jamaican "hey mon!" which is absolutely nothing like lawn, fawn, dawn or yawn which have an "awww" sound to them before the n, like the beginning of awning or awesome.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #152 on: April 11, 2013, 10:27:36 AM »

To me Don, on, baton, moron to me all have the same "ahn" sound, like the Jamaican "hey mon!" which is absolutely nothing like lawn, fawn, dawn or yawn which have an "awww" sound to them before the n, like the beginning of awning or awesome.

Don, baton and moron = yes, the -on rhymes with the Jamaican "hey mon!"  ;D

On = rhymes with the first syllable of awning

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #153 on: April 11, 2013, 10:28:41 AM »
Back to Mary-merry-marry.

Somebody on a language forum helped me find sound files of people saying "Mary dear, make me merry, say youll marry me."

Speaker pronounces all differently. The difference between "Mary" and "merry" is subtle, but "marry" is clearly not the same. Wikipedia describes it as "Mary has the a sound of mare, marry has the a sound of mat and merry has the e sound of met."

Speaker pronounces them identically

I was once in a class that focused on your mouth/jaw/tongue movements when saying the words. I clearly had different movements for each with my jaw dropping lower and the back of my throught closing some but my mouth widending with merry and going to a higher pitch. Marry was right in between both.

But when recorded, you could only hear a small difference between the way I said the words and really only if said back to back.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #154 on: April 11, 2013, 10:51:41 AM »

Don, baton and moron = yes, the -on rhymes with the Jamaican "hey mon!"  ;D

On = rhymes with the first syllable of awning

I can agree with this.  When I say the phrase "On Golden Pond", the first word and last word don't sound terribly alike.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #155 on: April 11, 2013, 11:11:48 AM »

When I say the phrase "On Golden Pond", the first word and last word don't sound terribly alike.

Their vowels are exactly alike when I say it.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #156 on: April 11, 2013, 11:13:22 AM »

When I say the phrase "On Golden Pond", the first word and last word don't sound terribly alike.

Their vowels are exactly alike when I say it.

Come to think of it, NONE of those Os sound alike...

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2013, 11:29:12 AM »
Both of my older boys have a problem in pronouncing enemy.  It's emeny, and one's nearly 12, the other's 10.   My oldest child has a tendency to pronounce short e's as short a's.  Drives his brother up the wall.

"We want to the US Callular store to get new call phones."

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #158 on: April 11, 2013, 11:35:17 AM »

Here we go again-all of those sound exactly the same to me ("on" group rhymes with "awn" group) ;D

I say "FOO-tawn" too.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #159 on: April 11, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
How do you say 'pasta'?

past-a or pahst-a

the second one.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #160 on: April 11, 2013, 12:51:31 PM »
Haven't had the chance to read all the way through, but I'm always stumped when I watch those cooking shows and they insist that the "Southern" way to say "pecans" is "Pee-cans." Which just sounds gross to me. My mother, born and raised in rural Alabama, has always said "peh-cahns," and so do I. It's a much softer variation on the word that I think sounds much prettier.

Why in the world would anyone want a "pee-can" pie?

I say pee-can as do most Aussies. I had no idea what a peh-cahn pie was when I first heard about it.

It took me ages to link Craigslist as a word with how people in the US say it. We say Craig completely differently as do the UK. I still don't know how the US gets an e sound in Craig.

My cousin Craig, who lives in Canada, is called Cray-g. My American friends with the same name say it with the soft e sound.

Edited to add that I'm not saying all Americans say it Creg, just that I knew several who did.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 04:05:10 PM by jaxsue »

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #161 on: April 11, 2013, 12:56:27 PM »
I have heard Americans say Craig both ways. 

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #162 on: April 11, 2013, 01:03:47 PM »
I have heard Americans say Craig both ways.

True. It's not universal.

that_one_girl

« Reply #163 on: April 11, 2013, 05:51:39 PM »
Haven't had the chance to read all the way through, but I'm always stumped when I watch those cooking shows and they insist that the "Southern" way to say "pecans" is "Pee-cans." Which just sounds gross to me. My mother, born and raised in rural Alabama, has always said "peh-cahns," and so do I. It's a much softer variation on the word that I think sounds much prettier.

I say pee-can as do most Aussies. I had no idea what a peh-cahn pie was when I first heard about it.

It took me ages to link Craigslist as a word with how people in the US say it. We say Craig completely differently as do the UK. I still don't know how the US gets an e sound in Craig.

My cousin Craig, who lives in Canada, is called Cray-g. My American friends with the same name say it with the soft e sound.

Edited to add that I'm not saying all Americans say it Creg, just that I knew several who did.

I think I tend to use Creg as a first name and Creyg as a last name.
As in:
"Mr. Creyg, the doctor will see you now."
"Creg, can you help me with my anatomy homework."

Here's my word pronunciation delimma for y'all to take a whack at!
The word is: hearth
Hubby insists it's pronounced like "earth"
I pronounce it like "heart"

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #164 on: April 11, 2013, 06:04:21 PM »

I think I tend to use Creg as a first name and Creyg as a last name.
As in:
"Mr. Creyg, the doctor will see you now."
"Creg, can you help me with my anatomy homework."

Here's my word pronunciation delimma for y'all to take a whack at!
The word is: hearth
Hubby insists it's pronounced like "earth"
I pronounce it like "heart"

Hearth like earth.