Author Topic: How do you pronounce words?  (Read 17306 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: How do you pronounce words?
« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2013, 06:05:16 PM »
Heart with an h on the end
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #166 on: April 11, 2013, 06:20:23 PM »

Both the Eagle and I say earth with an h at the beginning.

Merriam-Webster says it is pronounced like you pronounce it, Outdoor Girl.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #167 on: April 11, 2013, 07:00:33 PM »
I've always heard 'harth' and home.  I've never heard h-earth.

I've got one:  I had only ever read 'hyperbole'.  I thought it was pronounced hyper-bowl so when I heard hy-per-bo-lee, I had no idea it was the same word.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #168 on: April 11, 2013, 07:08:43 PM »

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #169 on: April 11, 2013, 07:33:50 PM »

This.

I used to pronounce it like harth but change at some point to earth with an "h". But as I'm typing this "harth" sounds better and I think I'll go back to it.

katycoo

« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2013, 07:42:37 PM »
I've always heard 'harth' and home.  I've never heard h-earth.

I've got one:  I had only ever read 'hyperbole'.  I thought it was pronounced hyper-bowl so when I heard hy-per-bo-lee, I had no idea it was the same word.

Epitome is the one that catches me.  I SAY Ep-PIT-oh-me, but when I read it, my brain says Epi-TOHM, despite knowing its wrong.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #171 on: April 11, 2013, 08:18:03 PM »

My mother was in college, reading something aloud in a class, when much to her embarrassment she learned that she'd been pronouncing the word "mislead" incorrectly her entire life. She pronounced it "missled" (like "missle" with a "d" on the end).
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2013, 08:50:34 PM »
"roof" and "root"--I pronounce them like "cook," not like "tooth"

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #173 on: April 11, 2013, 08:57:15 PM »
"roof" and "root"--I pronounce them like "cook," not like "tooth"

Both are like tooth to me.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Leafy

« Reply #174 on: April 11, 2013, 09:05:13 PM »
I noticed earlier in the thread that some-one said they pronounce Tuesday like the number, so "Toosday". I haven't heard this before so it surprised me a little. Is this common for others and if so, where is it pronounced this way? I would say "Tewsday" (like ewes or few), or if you have a very strong ocker accent you may say "Chewsday" (*shudders*).

My other question is over how people say the fraction 3/4. I always say three-quarters. I don't think I've ever heard anyone in Australia say anything other that "quarter" in reference to all n/4 fractions (happy to be corrected, could be regional). I think that I have seen one or two American posters write three-fourths. Is this common? Which would you say?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #175 on: April 11, 2013, 09:11:58 PM »
I noticed earlier in the thread that some-one said they pronounce Tuesday like the number, so "Toosday". I haven't heard this before so it surprised me a little. Is this common for others and if so, where is it pronounced this way? I would say "Tewsday" (like ewes or few), or if you have a very strong ocker accent you may say "Chewsday" (*shudders*).

My other question is over how people say the fraction 3/4. I always say three-quarters. I don't think I've ever heard anyone in Australia say anything other that "quarter" in reference to all n/4 fractions (happy to be corrected, could be regional). I think that I have seen one or two American posters write three-fourths. Is this common? Which would you say?

I say it Toosday, too.  I have lived all over the US, so I don't think it is specifically regional.

I say 3/4 both ways, same with 1/4.  I haven't noticed a pattern to when I say one or the other, but I will try to pay attention and report back.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #176 on: April 11, 2013, 09:50:59 PM »

Typically, for me, if it's something that's full or filled, I'll use quarter (like the quarter cup measure, my gas tank is three-quarters full).  If it's more counting/length measurement, it's fourth.  But measurements often end up as quarters (like "five feet seven and three quarters inches tall")

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #177 on: April 11, 2013, 10:38:44 PM »

100% interchangeable - I say both with no rhyme nor reason for which I choose at any particular time.

reflection5

« Reply #178 on: April 11, 2013, 11:02:49 PM »
I've always said three-fourths.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #179 on: April 11, 2013, 11:28:12 PM »

100% interchangeable - I say both with no rhyme nor reason for which I choose at any particular time.

same here