Author Topic: How do you pronounce words?  (Read 15025 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: How do you pronounce words?
« Reply #180 on: April 11, 2013, 11:31:19 PM »
More often, quarters.  But sometimes fourths.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #181 on: April 12, 2013, 01:40:38 AM »
My mother was in college, reading something aloud in a class, when much to her embarrassment she learned that she'd been pronouncing the word "mislead" incorrectly her entire life. She pronounced it "missled" (like "missle" with a "d" on the end).
That's quite a common mistake, I believe; so is pronouncing it "mizzled". I think the latter (with z sound) actually comes across as quite a good synonym for the "proper" word -- it has overtones of being confused and astray.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #182 on: April 12, 2013, 01:48:17 AM »
I noticed earlier in the thread that some-one said they pronounce Tuesday like the number, so "Toosday". I haven't heard this before so it surprised me a little. Is this common for others and if so, where is it pronounced this way? I would say "Tewsday" (like ewes or few), or if you have a very strong ocker accent you may say "Chewsday" (*shudders*).

My other question is over how people say the fraction 3/4. I always say three-quarters. I don't think I've ever heard anyone in Australia say anything other that "quarter" in reference to all n/4 fractions (happy to be corrected, could be regional). I think that I have seen one or two American posters write three-fourths. Is this common? Which would you say?

We always learned "Tewsday" for singing in some styles of music, but I would say "Toosday" most of the time.

The 3/4 thing depends on the context - I'd say "three quarters of a cup of flour" but "three fourths of the class."  In the case of 1/4 I think I'd almost always say "a quarter."  For time it's "a quarderda five"  :P

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #183 on: April 12, 2013, 04:24:06 PM »
Here in the Midwest, it seems everyone will 'warsh' their clothes. I say 'wash'.

I've gotten in the habit of saying 'Wed-nes-day' so I could help my kids and DH learn how to spell it.

When someone says 'let me ax you a question,' I usually respond with, 'You're going to hatchet me a question?' :)

I was confused by 'crick' at first but everyone up here says it. It was always 'creek' to me.

I used to say 'segue' by pronouncing it 'seeg' until my brother said it's pronounced 'segway'. How was I to know, I'd only seen it in books. Same with the word 'dearth'. I thought it was pronounced 'darth' but he informed me it's 'durth'. Whoops.

I say 'cumin' either 'kuh-min' or 'kyoo-min' and have been corrected both ways.

Bloo, are you in Ohio?  My husband's Cincinnati born and raised family all said "warsh" and "crick".

My late godmother was born and bred in Canada and said the same, plus terlet, etc......

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #184 on: April 12, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »
Okay, how do you say that it is 7:15 when asked the time? I will say quarter after 7.  I didn't even think anything of it until a friend teased me and said she just stated it as 7:15.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #185 on: April 12, 2013, 05:22:58 PM »
Okay, how do you say that it is 7:15 when asked the time? I will say quarter after 7.  I didn't even think anything of it until a friend teased me and said she just stated it as 7:15.

Again, really just depends.  No rhyme or reason, sometimes I say 7:15 and sometimes I say a quarter after 7.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Cami

« Reply #186 on: April 12, 2013, 05:26:07 PM »
I just had someone cal in some information and she repeatedly pronounced the number 2 as "ter".  Is that an accent anyone recognizes?

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #187 on: April 12, 2013, 05:41:03 PM »

I never say "quarter" when speaking about time. 7:15 is seven fifteen. 45 minutes is forty five minutes not three quarters of a hour, etc. For that matter 7:30 to me is seven thirty not "half past". And don't even get me started on "of" when used with time! I have no idea if "ten of seven" means 6:50 or 7:10 because I don't understand the grammatic of the usage of "of" in the phrase!

kckgirl

« Reply #188 on: April 12, 2013, 05:44:30 PM »
And don't even get me started on "of" when used with time! I have no idea if "ten of seven" means 6:50 or 7:10 because I don't understand the grammatic of the usage of "of" in the phrase!

I never used that phrase until I moved to the Mid-Atlantic region. Ten of seven means 6:50.
Maryland

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
« Reply #189 on: April 12, 2013, 05:58:36 PM »
Thank you, although I'm sure I'll forget again, as like I said I don't understand how that grammar works at all.

I think I just vehemently dislike requiring a person to do math when telling them a time  ;D

"Quarter past" means they have take a moment and mentally figure out 25% of 60, saying "ten of" means they have to figure out what "of" means and then calculate (apparently) seven minus ten minutes. To me time is too important a thing (just think of all the threads about people being late, or early or taking too long, or shorting time, etc) to be futzing around with not being perfectly without a doubt clear.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #190 on: April 12, 2013, 06:02:31 PM »
Thank you, although I'm sure I'll forget again, as like I said I don't understand how that grammar works at all.

I think I just vehemently dislike requiring a person to do math when telling them a time  ;D

"Quarter past" means they have take a moment and mentally figure out 25% of 60, saying "ten of" means they have to figure out what "of" means and then calculate (apparently) seven minus ten minutes. To me time is too important a thing (just think of all the threads about people being late, or early or taking too long, or shorting time, etc) to be futzing around with not being perfectly without a doubt clear.

I don't do math when told time. I automatically know, regarding time, that quarter = 15, not quarter = 25% of 60.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #191 on: April 12, 2013, 06:07:30 PM »

I don't do math when told time. I automatically know, regarding time, that quarter = 15, not quarter = 25% of 60.

Same here. 

I never used that phrase until I moved to the Mid-Atlantic region. Ten of seven means 6:50.

Well that's where I am, and friend who teased me about it said it must be a regional thing, as she's in the Midwest.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
« Reply #192 on: April 12, 2013, 06:08:47 PM »

But just because you know it, doesn't mean the person you are saying it to thinks that way. If saying "quarter" isn't the norm for them (and I'm wondering with digital clocks becoming so much more standard then analogs if this is the case for many people) then they have to take that extra second to think "quarter, in relation to time, equals 15."

I admit for me, by now its not even a full second of thought, but its definitely a mental conversion for me.

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #193 on: April 13, 2013, 01:30:09 AM »

7.15.   Quarter past seven

7.30.    Half past seven

7.45.    Quarter to eight

UK here.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #194 on: April 13, 2013, 05:26:36 AM »
So how do Americans tell if the person they have just been introduced to is "Craig" or "Greg"?