Author Topic: How do you pronounce words?  (Read 16738 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: How do you pronounce words?
« Reply #195 on: April 13, 2013, 07:31:48 AM »
So how do Americans tell if the person they have just been introduced to is "Craig" or "Greg"?

They can hear the difference between a "C" and a "G"

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #196 on: April 13, 2013, 08:44:43 AM »
So how do Americans tell if the person they have just been introduced to is "Craig" or "Greg"?

Also, "Greg" has a short e sound, while "Craig" has a long a.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #197 on: April 13, 2013, 09:01:25 AM »

I think that's what we were just debating ;).  Some say "Crayg" and others say "Creg" and "Greg" the same.

bloo

« Reply #198 on: April 13, 2013, 09:45:01 AM »
I just had someone cal in some information and she repeatedly pronounced the number 2 as "ter".  Is that an accent anyone recognizes?

No. I don't recognize that one. I'm still scratching my head at what I heard when we lived in Western North Carolina, USA:

too-buh-fer

Repeated several times DH finally understood the native:

2 x 4

DH to native (working for him): "Here's your piece of wood, now speak English!" ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 09:48:49 AM by bloo »

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #199 on: April 13, 2013, 09:54:51 AM »

I think that's what we were just debating ;).  Some say "Crayg" and others say "Creg" and "Greg" the same.

My point is "how do Americans" pronounce it is about as relevant as "how do western Europeans pronounce it" sometimes.  The United States has a LOT of different dialects.  In my neck of the woods, Craig is definitely different from Greg.  In others, a girl with a name like Merry would have to constantly tell people "No, not Mary... MERRY!"

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #200 on: April 13, 2013, 09:56:07 AM »
Canadian, not American but I work with a Craig and a Greg.  I don't have any problem, even though they rhyme.  The hard C is a little less emphasized and the hard G is a little more emphasized so the G comes through really clearly.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #201 on: April 13, 2013, 10:30:02 AM »
Thank you, although I'm sure I'll forget again, as like I said I don't understand how that grammar works at all.

I think I just vehemently dislike requiring a person to do math when telling them a time  ;D

"Quarter past" means they have take a moment and mentally figure out 25% of 60, saying "ten of" means they have to figure out what "of" means and then calculate (apparently) seven minus ten minutes. To me time is too important a thing (just think of all the threads about people being late, or early or taking too long, or shorting time, etc) to be futzing around with not being perfectly without a doubt clear.

I don't do math when told time. I automatically know, regarding time, that quarter = 15, not quarter = 25% of 60.

But just because you know it, doesn't mean the person you are saying it to thinks that way. If saying "quarter" isn't the norm for them (and I'm wondering with digital clocks becoming so much more standard then analogs if this is the case for many people) then they have to take that extra second to think "quarter, in relation to time, equals 15."

I admit for me, by now its not even a full second of thought, but its definitely a mental conversion for me.

I'm curious about why saying ten of seven requires more math than saying 6:50. If you say 6:50 I still have to do some math in my head to get "I have 10 min before it's 7a.m"

I guess it all depends on why you want to know the time. If someone is timing something I'd probably say it's 6:50. But if we are leaving the house at 7am and my daughter asks the time, I just as likely to say its ten till 7 or ten of 7. I can understand being confused if you don't understand that "of" is being used in place of "till", but once you know the term, I don't understand the math issue.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #202 on: April 13, 2013, 10:41:21 AM »
No, I think most people autmatically know that when you are talking about time quarter = 15 minutes.  I mean if you've ever seen the face of a clock it is obvious that every quarter has 15 minutes/3 hours represented.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #203 on: April 13, 2013, 11:36:18 AM »
No, I think most people autmatically know that when you are talking about time quarter = 15 minutes.  I mean if you've ever seen the face of a clock it is obvious that every quarter has 15 minutes/3 hours represented.
I think there is a generational thing developing here, as many younger people are much more familiar with digital time than analog (clock face) time, so they don't automatically think in terms of quarters. I was able to find some forum discussions where people said that they had trouble using analog clocks or knew an adult who could not tell time on an analog clock.

I remember having trouble when I learned German--had to remember that "half neun" (half nine) was 8:30. Halfway to nine, not half past nine.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Leafy

« Reply #204 on: April 13, 2013, 09:32:20 PM »
Okay, how do you say that it is 7:15 when asked the time? I will say quarter after 7.  I didn't even think anything of it until a friend teased me and said she just stated it as 7:15.

7.15.   Quarter past seven

7.30.    Half past seven

7.45.    Quarter to eight

UK here.

This is what I would say too, but I will also say seven fifteen, and seven forty-five. No particular rhyme or reason. (Australian)

I have a Scottish friend who will say "the back of 8" which I think means just before 8.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #205 on: April 13, 2013, 10:08:48 PM »
Communal.

I said it one way today and was corrected by 2 or 3 others.  I wonder if it is regional differences.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Rohanna

« Reply #206 on: April 13, 2013, 11:56:53 PM »
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0QUPGfgyHWz

In case anyone is *that* curious about how a semi mid-atlantic accent*  would read most of the words from this thread  ;) Excuse the terrible mic and slight sinus cold...

(Northern Canuck blended with formative/teen years in Britain)

I added "about" to the list because apparently people think Canadians say this huuuugely differently from the rest of the planet, but I simply don't hear the difference.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 11:59:02 PM by Rohanna »
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

123sandy

« Reply #207 on: April 14, 2013, 03:37:22 AM »
Okay, how do you say that it is 7:15 when asked the time? I will say quarter after 7.  I didn't even think anything of it until a friend teased me and said she just stated it as 7:15.

7.15.   Quarter past seven

7.30.    Half past seven

7.45.    Quarter to eight

UK here.

This is what I would say too, but I will also say seven fifteen, and seven forty-five. No particular rhyme or reason. (Australian)

I have a Scottish friend who will say "the back of 8" which I think means just before 8.

The back of 8 is just after the hour.

reflection5

« Reply #208 on: April 14, 2013, 04:54:31 AM »
I say:
7:15
7:30 (have never said half past, but some of my relatives did/do)
7:45 (sometimes quarter till 8)

that_one_girl

« Reply #209 on: April 14, 2013, 08:27:29 AM »
Communal.

I said it one way today and was corrected by 2 or 3 others.  I wonder if it is regional differences.

I pronounce it like "comm-youn-ull"  same as I pronounce community, commune, and communion
I've lived all over the US, and I can't for the life of me think of any other ways to pronounce it.