Author Topic: How do you pronounce words?  (Read 12599 times)

perpetua

Re: How do you pronounce words?
« Reply #210 on: April 14, 2013, 08:46:53 AM »
Communal.

I said it one way today and was corrected by 2 or 3 others.  I wonder if it is regional differences.

I pronounce it like "comm-youn-ull"  same as I pronounce community, commune, and communion
I've lived all over the US, and I can't for the life of me think of any other ways to pronounce it.

There are two ways of pronouncing it in the UK and I've no idea which is correct or if both are; it's all in the emphasis. Either COMM-un-al or com-UNE-al. A bit like the 'CONtroversy/conTROVersy' debate.

katycoo

« Reply #211 on: April 14, 2013, 10:17:33 PM »
Okay, how do you say that it is 7:15 when asked the time? I will say quarter after 7.  I didn't even think anything of it until a friend teased me and said she just stated it as 7:15.

I never say "quarter" when speaking about time. 7:15 is seven fifteen. 45 minutes is forty five minutes not three quarters of a hour, etc. For that matter 7:30 to me is seven thirty not "half past". And don't even get me started on "of" when used with time! I have no idea if "ten of seven" means 6:50 or 7:10 because I don't understand the grammatic of the usage of "of" in the phrase!

I say quarter past or quarter to.  Or half past.  I never say "quarter of".  That would actually confuse me.  I also don't say "after" but at least that makes sense.

Thank you, although I'm sure I'll forget again, as like I said I don't understand how that grammar works at all.

I think I just vehemently dislike requiring a person to do math when telling them a time  ;D

"Quarter past" means they have take a moment and mentally figure out 25% of 60, saying "ten of" means they have to figure out what "of" means and then calculate (apparently) seven minus ten minutes. To me time is too important a thing (just think of all the threads about people being late, or early or taking too long, or shorting time, etc) to be futzing around with not being perfectly without a doubt clear.

I don't do math when told time. I automatically know, regarding time, that quarter = 15, not quarter = 25% of 60.

But just because you know it, doesn't mean the person you are saying it to thinks that way. If saying "quarter" isn't the norm for them (and I'm wondering with digital clocks becoming so much more standard then analogs if this is the case for many people) then they have to take that extra second to think "quarter, in relation to time, equals 15."

I admit for me, by now its not even a full second of thought, but its definitely a mental conversion for me.

I don't think of it as requiring maths to calculate because I just know.  I wouldn't use any other time-related fractions.

And while I appreciate that in different regions people state the time differently, it honestly would never occur to me that someone would need to do a mental calculation to understand me.

Or, frankly, that there are people who can't tell analog time.  Surely they still teach that in school?

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #212 on: April 14, 2013, 10:40:44 PM »
This is going to be a stupid question, but what is analog time?  :-[

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #213 on: April 14, 2013, 10:53:36 PM »
Analog is a clock face

Digital is numbers

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #214 on: April 14, 2013, 11:14:04 PM »
I learned analog time, and even have a few analog clocks in my life. I just never grew up with, or currently associate with, anyone who used "quarter" or "half" as verbiage when talking about time. Its like when someone says "freeway" to me (around here its the "highway"). Its not even a full second, but it is a moment in my head where I need to translate what they they mean. Everyone I know -socially, academically, professionally, etc tends to verbalize time in numbers seven fifteen, seven forty five, etc.

Bluenomi

« Reply #215 on: April 14, 2013, 11:28:05 PM »
When I moved to the UK it took me a while to work out what time half 8 was. Apparently it is 8:30 or half past 8. It makes sense when you think about it but wasn't what I was used to!

I vary what I say Sometimes it's quarter past or quarter to, other times its x:15/45. I work in 24 hour time so sometimes it will be 20:15 just to make life fun.

When I worked in TV we worked on a 30 hour clock so 2 am was 26:00. That's not at all confusing!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #216 on: April 15, 2013, 12:11:06 AM »
I had to disable the clock on my computer screen at my library because so many of the teens would lean over my desk to read the time (signing in to use the computers) instead of looking at the analog wall clock.  I tried my best to teach them how to read it, but the ones with cell phones just started checking the time on their phones instead.  (The ones without would just yell at full volume across the library to ask their friends the time . . .  Grrrr!)

Nikko-chan

« Reply #217 on: April 15, 2013, 12:13:19 AM »
I had to disable the clock on my computer screen at my library because so many of the teens would lean over my desk to read the time (signing in to use the computers) instead of looking at the analog wall clock.  I tried my best to teach them how to read it, but the ones with cell phones just started checking the time on their phones instead.  (The ones without would just yell at full volume across the library to ask their friends the time . . .  Grrrr!)

Do they not teach children how to read clocks today?

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #218 on: April 15, 2013, 07:18:39 AM »
I just had someone cal in some information and she repeatedly pronounced the number 2 as "ter".  Is that an accent anyone recognizes?

I've heard 2 pronounced "ter" in some really rural parts of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and some parts of Northern Florida.  Occasionally, I'll meet someone from Ohio that says it that way as well.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

bloo

« Reply #219 on: April 15, 2013, 10:26:26 AM »
I don't think of it as requiring maths to calculate because I just know.  I wouldn't use any other time-related fractions.

And while I appreciate that in different regions people state the time differently, it honestly would never occur to me that someone would need to do a mental calculation to understand me.

Or, frankly, that there are people who can't tell analog time.  Surely they still teach that in school?

Raising my hand as one 'requiring maths'. I remember my mom getting very frustrated with me when trying to teach me how to tell time when I was little, whereas my brother taught himself.

I always wear a watch and got sick of 'doing math' to figure out the time, so when I took up running, I invested in a nice digital sport watch and haven't looked back. I wear it with everything, even my dressy clothes because I'm too lazy to switch out accessories that way. Maybe I'll invest in a pretty, bracelet-type digital (if such a thing exists).  :)

We have analogs and digital clocks all over the house and I can tell time on the analogs, but I've come to accept that I'll always be slower at deducing the time on those.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #220 on: April 15, 2013, 11:49:52 AM »
When I moved to the UK it took me a while to work out what time half 8 was. Apparently it is 8:30 or half past 8. It makes sense when you think about it but wasn't what I was used to!

I vary what I say Sometimes it's quarter past or quarter to, other times its x:15/45. I work in 24 hour time so sometimes it will be 20:15 just to make life fun.

When I worked in TV we worked on a 30 hour clock so 2 am was 26:00. That's not at all confusing!

The 30 hour clock sounds a bit odd.  Was that done to accommodate different time zones?  How did it get reset?

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #221 on: April 15, 2013, 12:33:49 PM »
Communal.

I said it one way today and was corrected by 2 or 3 others.  I wonder if it is regional differences.

I pronounce it like "comm-youn-ull"  same as I pronounce community, commune, and communion
I've lived all over the US, and I can't for the life of me think of any other ways to pronounce it.

There are two ways of pronouncing it in the UK and I've no idea which is correct or if both are; it's all in the emphasis. Either COMM-un-al or com-UNE-al. A bit like the 'CONtroversy/conTROVersy' debate.

I said the first, they insisted the latter.  I told them it was regional and they dropped it.  What I didn't like, though, was their presumption to correct me.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #222 on: April 15, 2013, 12:36:05 PM »

The 30 hour clock sounds a bit odd.  Was that done to accommodate different time zones?  How did it get reset?

I'm going to take a guess here.  Since early morning is actually considered late night by TV, I'm going to guess that 00:00 to 06:00 simply don't exist, and the rest is as a normal 24-hour clock.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #223 on: April 15, 2013, 12:41:24 PM »
My older two boys, when learning to tell time in early elementary, were given worksheets with pictures of analog clocks on them, so I assume it's still being taught that way.

I remember shortly after moving back east after living in S. California, someone told me "You sound Californian".  Which surprised me as I didn't really notice any significant accent from the few native Californians I knew. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #224 on: April 19, 2013, 05:35:49 PM »
My son came home from school yesterday and told me he was learning about the philosophers SO-crates (Socrates), Pla-TEAU (Plato), and Hair-o-DOTE-us, not to mention air-u-STOTE-lee (Aristotle)  ::)  ::) ;D

Edited to change Herod's daughter to the philosopher  ::)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:42:01 PM by guihong »