Author Topic: How do you pronounce words?  (Read 18188 times)

CakeBeret

Re: How do you pronounce words?
« Reply #240 on: June 13, 2013, 10:26:26 AM »
I know this thread is a bit old, but I found a really cool infographic on variants in pronunciations. (Just click on it to make it bigger)

"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #241 on: June 13, 2013, 04:16:48 PM »
This is astoundingly accurate, when you take into account that on several of these I live on a red/blue border.  :)  The only one I found that I disagree with is "been".  I say it with a long E, and the map says this area is solidly "bin"... but other than that, it's surprisingly true.  I also found it bizarre how small the "Mary/Merry/Marry pronounced differently"area is.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #242 on: June 13, 2013, 04:20:52 PM »
I have often heard, and myself joked about, Florida being considered the "sixth boro" meaning Florida might as well be NYC. Its cute to see how for many of these maps, indeed southern Florida often does pronounce things like they do in the NYC area.

cwm

« Reply #243 on: June 13, 2013, 04:29:49 PM »
My accent is very fluid. I'm from right on the edge of the red/blue divide, my best friend's dad is from England and I grew up watching a great deal of BBC to the point where I can sometimes hear regional dialects from England, plus I can note different accents from other countries that usually get grouped in with "British" accents. Aussies, Kiwis, I'm listening to you...

When I spend time in the Ozarks, I sound like I'm from there. When I spend time with my Canadian friends, I sound like I'm from there. Speed, cadence, emphasis, and word choice. So about half of these arguments I say either way depending on where I've been (prounounced like bean, in this case, because I'm not feeling lazy).

As far as the merry/marry/Mary, they all sound the same to me. I say them as the same thing. I can think about how other people might say it and hear it differently, but to me it's all in context. I used to be confused as a young child at Merry Christmas because I had an aunt Mary and at one point asked if she would share Christmas with the rest of us.

I'm in the Tyoos-day camp, not Toos-day. And usually Feb-you-airy. It's a creek that sounds like a creak, unless it's a tiny little trickle, then it's a crick. Yes, to me there is a difference, and it's all a matter of size. But it's always a root like boot, never like foot.

My friend's dad always gets me with VIT-uh-mins and the GARE-age. I say VITE-uh-mins and guh-RAJ. I had never seen the alternate spelling of aluminum until now, so now his pronounciation of that makes much more sense.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #244 on: June 13, 2013, 06:54:28 PM »
I only disagreed with 3, but when I looked harder, I realized that's because my mom is from an area that pronounces those two differently than the area from where I and my father are from.  Funny thing is, they're only 2 hours apart in PA.  Also, I grew up in PA and never heard it called a traffic circle; it was always a roundabout.  Not sure why that one is different.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #245 on: June 13, 2013, 09:48:06 PM »
I only disagreed with 3, but when I looked harder, I realized that's because my mom is from an area that pronounces those two differently than the area from where I and my father are from.  Funny thing is, they're only 2 hours apart in PA.  Also, I grew up in PA and never heard it called a traffic circle; it was always a roundabout.  Not sure why that one is different.

I also live in PA, and my experiences are exactly the opposite.  :)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #246 on: June 14, 2013, 01:42:40 PM »

I also live in PA, and my experiences are exactly the opposite.  :)

I think you and I have talked about this before...you're from the eastern part of the state and I'm from the western.  My mom is from the DuBois/Clarion area and my dad is from where I'm from.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #247 on: June 14, 2013, 08:52:47 PM »
Here in the Midwest, it seems everyone will 'warsh' their clothes. I say 'wash'.

I've gotten in the habit of saying 'Wed-nes-day' so I could help my kids and DH learn how to spell it.

When someone says 'let me ax you a question,' I usually respond with, 'You're going to hatchet me a question?' :)

I was confused by 'crick' at first but everyone up here says it. It was always 'creek' to me.

I used to say 'segue' by pronouncing it 'seeg' until my brother said it's pronounced 'segway'. How was I to know, I'd only seen it in books. Same with the word 'dearth'. I thought it was pronounced 'darth' but he informed me it's 'durth'. Whoops.

I say 'cumin' either 'kuh-min' or 'kyoo-min' and have been corrected both ways.

I think the "warsh" thing may be generational.  My aunts, uncles, and mother say it; they all grew up in PA.  My FMIL says it; she grew up in Texas.  They're all about the same age.
My grandmother, Iowa born (1906) and raised, warshed her dishes and clothes, too.  And after she warshed them, she wrenched them.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #248 on: June 14, 2013, 09:04:08 PM »
Also? Deaf does not equal death. It does not have a th at the end. it has an f sound.

example:
Person: Oh so she's death?
Me: No she's deaf, you know, she can't hear.
Person: That's what I said, death.
Me: *bashes head on wall*
Here in the Balmore region, I hear a lot of the other way around.  "He got shot to deaf" does not mean as it sounds, as if the victim has lost his hearing, but that he has involuntarily discorporated.
into books first.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #249 on: June 14, 2013, 09:17:55 PM »
I had to disable the clock on my computer screen at my library because so many of the teens would lean over my desk to read the time (signing in to use the computers) instead of looking at the analog wall clock.  I tried my best to teach them how to read it, but the ones with cell phones just started checking the time on their phones instead.  (The ones without would just yell at full volume across the library to ask their friends the time . . .  Grrrr!)

Do they not teach children how to read clocks today?
No.  Not in school, not (sometimes) at home.  I know that DD2 won't -- she can only read an analog clock if it has numbers; she can't look at the relative position of the hands and know that < is either 2:20 or 4:10.
into books first.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #250 on: June 14, 2013, 09:43:51 PM »
Here in the Midwest, it seems everyone will 'warsh' their clothes. I say 'wash'.

I've gotten in the habit of saying 'Wed-nes-day' so I could help my kids and DH learn how to spell it.

When someone says 'let me ax you a question,' I usually respond with, 'You're going to hatchet me a question?' :)

I was confused by 'crick' at first but everyone up here says it. It was always 'creek' to me.

I used to say 'segue' by pronouncing it 'seeg' until my brother said it's pronounced 'segway'. How was I to know, I'd only seen it in books. Same with the word 'dearth'. I thought it was pronounced 'darth' but he informed me it's 'durth'. Whoops.

I think the "warsh" thing may be generational.  My aunts, uncles, and mother say it; they all grew up in PA.  My FMIL says it; she grew up in Texas.  They're all about the same age.
My grandmother, Iowa born (1906) and raised, warshed her dishes and clothes, too.  And after she warshed them, she wrenched them.

I can't ask my grandparents...but I will ask my mom what her parents said and get back to you.  Grandma M was born in PA in 1928 and Grandpa M was also born in PA I think in 1924.

Library Dragon

« Reply #251 on: June 14, 2013, 10:34:55 PM »
Wow! That map is impressive. 

I grew up in S. California when everyone I knew moved there from somewhere else.  In my home my grandmother was fom S. Missouri, my grandfather from N. Carolina, and my mothe grew up in Buffalo, NY until she was 13.  We spent a lot of time in school learning "the correct way" to pronounce words. 

DH is from NYC and this is pretty spot on too.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

cwm

« Reply #252 on: June 18, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »

I had a band teacher who would always tell us to get out the "Warshington Post March". I raised my hand one day and asked him where the R was in Washington. The entire class (including the teacher) had a laugh about it.