Author Topic: Dressing for a Less-Formal Interview  (Read 2075 times)

CakeBeret

Dressing for a Less-Formal Interview
« on: April 08, 2013, 10:34:37 AM »
I have an interview with a smallish company this week and need advice on what to wear.

I had a phone interview with the owner, and he told me not to worry about dressing formally, they are a pretty casual office. He said he usually wears khakis and a pullover.

I'm kind of unfamiliar to wear to a less formal interview. I was thinking gray slacks and black pumps.

For a blouse, I don't have a lot of great options. The one I was thinking of wearing is a pinkish red, short sleeve, empire waist (does not make me look pregnant), with a collar, three buttons at the bust, and ruffles vertically at the bustline. The cut is similar to this, but it is woven cotton rather than satin (and the sleeves are not puffy):

Does that sound okay? Is there something that would work better?
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Giraffe, Esq

Re: Dressing for a Less-Formal Interview
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 10:45:39 AM »
Sounds fine to me.  Before I was in a position to be interviewing in suits, most of my interview clothes were along those lines.  It sounds formal enough to show interest/respect, but not so formal that you look stuffy or like you didn't pay attention to what he said.

The only question I have on the blouse is whether you're comfortable wearing it.  You don't want to be self-conscious about gaping, wrinkling, underarm sweat showing excessively, etc.  As long as you're comfortable in it, it sounds like it'll look great.

CakeBeret

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 10:47:27 AM »
The blouse is incredibly comfortable. It's also quite flattering which gives me a nice confidence boost.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 11:16:48 AM »
Congrats on the interview.

This top looks great.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 12:20:52 PM »
I think the top is fine.  If you have them, pair it with either a pair of khaki or black pants.  That always looks sharp.

sweetonsno

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 03:32:23 AM »
If it stays put and it's comfy and breathable, I think it's just fine. Do you have something you can put on over it if the office is cold?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 10:13:29 AM »
The blouse is incredibly comfortable. It's also quite flattering which gives me a nice confidence boost.

There ya go!

And you're right to give the "casual" element some thought--you want to look like you'll fit in.

And shoes are a great way to lift your clothes from "okay" to "slightly spiffy," so I love the black pumps idea.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 11:59:19 AM »
The blouse sounds good- I'd add a jacket/cardigan on top.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 01:51:01 PM »
Another vote for wearing the blouse.  I do like the idea of adding a cardigan, if you have one, in case the room is particularly cold.  You don't want to be worried about your teeth chattering while you are trying to answer questions.   :)

If the room is warmer, you can take the cardigan off.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Foureyesonemouth

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 10:41:50 PM »
I agree totally with Outdoor Girl. :)

Good luck!

Library Dragon

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 11:09:13 PM »
Where's the like button for this outfit.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 11:21:31 AM »
You know the company better than I do but I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here.

It's a lovely top but, to my mind, it may be a little too 'girly' for an interview.  A camp shirt or a polo shirt might be a better choice.

Regardless, good luck on the interview.  let us know when you get the job and I'll happily toast your success. 

CakeBeret

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 11:25:20 AM »
Thanks folks. The interview went great and I am seriously crossing my fingers that I got the job. It's only 4 minutes away from home!! and seems to be a great environment.

Thipu, I was worried about that. Thanks to my body shape polo shirts and button-downs tend to look sloppy on me. Still, I was very happy with how I looked for the interview.