Author Topic: Street Fairs...  (Read 525 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Street Fairs...
« on: April 08, 2013, 10:50:07 AM »
...do you have them where you live?  Do you like them?

The season is beginning here.  We will have Fabulous Fifth, Seventh Heaven, and Brooklyn Pride.  In the autumn, there will be Atlantic Antic. 

We used to greatly enjoy these events because each had a special character.  Seventh Heaven offered lots of good arts and crafts from local workshops.  Because of where it was located, Atlantic Antic was Caribbean at the eastern end and Middle Eastern at the western end.  The stage featuring music by Eddie Kolshak and the Shieks was always a big hit because of the belly dancers.

Now, it seems that almost every block has the same stalls of funnel cakes, sausage sandwiches, bouncing castles, and cheap underwear. 

For us, street fairs have lost most of their charm. There are still neat things to be found but they
have to be sought out.

What are your experiences with street fairs?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 11:00:58 AM by Thipu1 »

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: Street Fairs...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 10:58:21 AM »
There are street fairs all over SoCal -- they come and go. Several in the style of "A Taste of <location>", like "A Taste of San Pedro." Those are nice because you get local vendors so there's some variety. There's a very big classic car/hot rod show that takes over several streets in Culver City. There's also the Fiesta La Ballona. We went to that one once but it was nothing special, so we won't go back.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 11:40:11 AM »
One Thursday a month, we have "Museum Night", which technically isn't a street fair but an evening when the museums (all within a few blocks of each other in the downtown) are open late and free!  It's very popular, there are a lot of people going from one place to the next, and I'm sure the restaurants and shops benefit, too.

Memorial Day weekend, there is a gigantic street festival that is actually down on the riverfront (not surprisingly, called Riverfest).   If you watch your pennies and buy the tickets early, it's a good deal.  There's also a shuttle system to the downtown area.

Little Rock just doesn't seem to have a lot of ethnic neighborhoods, being a smaller city, but there are fun festivals in the Hillcrest area (what passes for a non-straight neighborhood here).

There's also events in Wildwood, which is a pretty park near my home.  That's more for classical concerts, opera, and ballet and of course, the flowers.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 02:00:21 PM »
One of the reasons I like living in NJ is the street fairs. I love them! Some are better than others, but they're usually fun. If you're lucky, you see some interesting stuff.

A few years ago, during election season, I saw our then-present gov (Corzine) at a street fair shaking hands, being followed by Christie and his fans, who were heckling Corzine. That's entertainment!

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 02:01:34 PM »
My town is famous for its street festivals in the summer time!  We have the Street Performers' Festival, the Taste of *my city* festival, the Food and Wine festival, the Fringe Theatre Festival...they are all fun and unique.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

nowhere

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 03:29:23 PM »

Now, it seems that almost every block has the same stalls of funnel cakes, sausage sandwiches, bouncing castles, and cheap underwear. 

When we lived in Manhattan, I used to drive my husband crazy dragging him to street fairs. I liked them, because I could walk for blocks without breaking a sweat when I normally couldn't drag myself to do the same on a day without endless persian rugs for sale.

nuit93

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 03:36:21 PM »
We used to live within walking distance of the Issaquah Salmon Days festival.  Lots of local vendors, yummy/fattening fair food, musicians, etc.