Author Topic: When people misuse words  (Read 5909 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: When people misuse words
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 09:00:44 PM »
Disorientated is not a word. I'm also quite weary of everything being "awesome." Ice cream is awesome. That TV show last night was awesome. Getting a "B" on a test is awesome. Look at my awesome new jeans! And isn't my new haircut just awesome?

No. No. No. No. No.

Not everything is awesome. Some things are nice, some things are funny. Some things are good news. Not everything is awesome!!!!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2013, 09:22:18 PM »
I was watching the local news tonight. They had a substitute anchorwoman. She said "nucular" twice. This is a major market - NYC.  :o

Micah

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2013, 09:22:59 PM »
I have a friend who says emancipated instead of emaciated. We're both involved in horse rescue, so unfortunately I hear it a lot. She's a lovely woman, but she takes everything to heart, so I haven't been able to think of a way to correct her without making her upset. It makes me twitch.

It seems to be a regional thing, a lot of people in my area say counseled instead of cancelled. My other half and his father do this. Again with the twitching.
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2013, 09:34:21 PM »
Another that bothers me a ton is "and I," so very many people smugly misuse these words! Sometimes "and me" is actually the correct phrasing! Correcting someone "don't you mean 'and I'?" just makes you sound like a fool when you are wrong!

Mary gave the concert tickets to Chris and me.
Chris and I will attend the concert.

(The trick is, drop the other person - would you say "me" or would you say "I"? It doesn't change when you add another person: Mary gave the concert tickets to me./I will attend the concert.)

This is like the misuse of "myself." People think they sound formal and educated when they overuse it. I've been watching Star Trek Next Generation episodes lately. The captain often says things like "Riker, Geordi and myself will head in this direction."

Here's another thing I hear fairly often and when I've asked people why they say it that way, if it's regional to them or if I've somehow missed the memo and it's an ok way to speak, they deny having ever said it.

Instead of saying "That car needs to be washed" they'll say "that car needs washed." Are they saving syllables? Is the verb "to be" so boring that it's not necessary to include?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2013, 09:34:47 PM »
When someone asks me to 'borrow' a consumable that they obviously have no intention of replacing.  'Can I borrow a tea bag?'  Ummm... No.  But you can have one.  I really don't want it back when you are finished with it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

reflection5

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2013, 09:36:12 PM »
She said "nucular" twice.
Pres GWB never did learn to say "nuclear".

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2013, 09:37:06 PM »
Another that bothers me a ton is "and I," so very many people smugly misuse these words! Sometimes "and me" is actually the correct phrasing! Correcting someone "don't you mean 'and I'?" just makes you sound like a fool when you are wrong!

Mary gave the concert tickets to Chris and me.
Chris and I will attend the concert.

(The trick is, drop the other person - would you say "me" or would you say "I"? It doesn't change when you add another person: Mary gave the concert tickets to me./I will attend the concert.)

This is like the misuse of "myself." People think they sound formal and educated when they overuse it. I've been watching Star Trek Next Generation episodes lately. The captain often says things like "Riker, Geordi and myself will head in this direction."

Here's another thing I hear fairly often and when I've asked people why they say it that way, if it's regional to them or if I've somehow missed the memo and it's an ok way to speak, they deny having ever said it.

Instead of saying "That car needs to be washed" they'll say "that car needs washed." Are they saving syllables? Is the verb "to be" so boring that it's not necessary to include?

D'ya really want your ears to hurt?  "That car needs washing."
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Minmom3

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2013, 09:44:48 PM »
My best friend can spectacularly mangle certain names and words:

Album =/= alblum
McCaffrey (the author) =/= McCaferty

There are dozens of others, but I can't recall them at this moment.  Those two above are the ones that make me foam at the mouth, because she'll tell you that she's SAYING it CORRECTLY, or that everybody says them that way....  I have to bite holes in my tongue and just be deaf to it.  She doesn't care that saying things that poorly reflects poorly on her as a well educated woman, who COULD manage your office well, you just can't stand to listen to her!  (Horribly run on sentence, but, you know what I mean!).  Sadly enough, she has hideous table manners, too. 

Sweet woman, great friend, but there's a lot to get past sometimes.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Danika

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2013, 09:48:54 PM »
What's frustrating is that I want to learn to speak more properly instead of unlearning what I used to know. But when you're surrounded by many people who say things like "if I would have saw it, I would have took it" you start questioning yourself.

caroled

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2013, 10:02:08 PM »
Some years ago Our warehouse sent a memo about pumpkin pies we had ordered for the upcoming holiday (  I work in retail grocery ) 

blahblahblahblah... "pumpkin pies are unavilable until further notice.We are sorry for any incontinence this my cause." :o

I still get a laugh when I think of that. ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 10:04:05 PM by caroled »

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2013, 10:28:56 PM »
"All of the sudden..."

Stabby McStabby wants to emerge whenever that one comes up... It's enough to make me close out of an otherwise entertaining piece of fanfic.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2013, 11:01:31 PM »
"All of the sudden..."

Stabby McStabby wants to emerge whenever that one comes up... It's enough to make me close out of an otherwise entertaining piece of fanfic.

I always thought this was a relatively modern mangling of words, but it dated back to at least Shakespeare!

/END etymology-esque lesson of the day.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Danika

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2013, 11:16:34 PM »
"We are sorry for any incontinence this my cause." :o

LOL!!!

I am soooooo going to slip this into conversation. Intentionally being funny though.

reflection5

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2013, 11:22:58 PM »
We are sorry for any incontinence this my cause."
   ;D

There was a popular comedian (Norm Crosby) who said things like that.  (malapropisms - ?)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 11:25:02 PM by reflection5 »

snowdragon

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2013, 11:24:21 PM »
I often get nagged at for using snitch when I jokingly ask, "could I snitch a french fry?"  Apparently, snitch can't be used as a verb, but I think it can?  Someone care to help me?

(We're pretty lax about food.  French fries tend to be everyone's fair game ;) )

According to Webster's two of three definitions of the word are verbs
this is the closest to your usage:

3snitch
transitive verb
Definition of SNITCH
: to take by stealth : pilfer
Origin of SNITCH
probably alteration of snatch
First Known Use: 1904

And where I come from it is common to use it that was.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/snitch