Author Topic: When people misuse words  (Read 6035 times)

reflection5

Re: When people misuse words
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2013, 04:14:18 PM »
2.  Her newborn nephew had just had a circumcision.  She said "His poor little intestines were all swollen."  Anyone want to guess what she meant?

Oh my goodness.  ???  :-[  (scratching my head)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
In honour of Toby Keith, was she referring to his 'vegetables'?   :D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Barney girl

« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2013, 05:40:47 PM »
What I do dislike is the announcements "The next station stop will be ..." I know they're excluding unexpected stops by saying this, but credit the passengers (sorry, customers) with a little common sense please  ::)

I don't understand this. What do you mean by common sense? Not every passenger has a train map in front of them or has memorized the line. They need to know when their stop is next so they can gather up their stuff (put in their coat, put their book into their bag, etc) to get off promptly.

I don't think Barney Girl was complaining about the announcements in general but the additional word "Station" rather than "The next stop is..." as, presumably barring emergencies, all stops are necessarily at stations so the "station" appears rather superfluous.

Thanks. Yes, that's what I meant. Either say "the next station is..." or "the next stop is...".  To combine them seems to suggest the think we're going to try climbing out of the train when it stops at a signal on red.