News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 05, 2015, 04:16:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Life's Little Luxuries AKA What do you splurge on?  (Read 7355 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Life's Little Luxuries AKA What do you splurge on?
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2015, 12:07:20 PM »
Mine is less about splurging, more about quality. I would rather have one set of jewelry made of sterling silver with gemstones than tons of costume jewelry. I am always surprised at the prices of costume jewelry. Same with purses, one good bag for around $100 vs 5 cheap ones that won't last a year.

I got a hair cut, pedicure and manicure last week and to make up for the expense, I brought leftovers for lunch every day.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2015, 01:39:15 PM »
Mine is less about splurging, more about quality. I would rather have one set of jewelry made of sterling silver with gemstones than tons of costume jewelry. I am always surprised at the prices of costume jewelry. Same with purses, one good bag for around $100 vs 5 cheap ones that won't last a year.

I got a hair cut, pedicure and manicure last week and to make up for the expense, I brought leftovers for lunch every day.

I'm like you! I'll splurge on certain things, then do others to make up for it. I just got my hair cut and highlighted last week to the tune of $120, and now need a mani/pedi as I'm in a wedding this weekend. Being that normal manis don't last long for me, I'm splurging and getting a gel mani. But will cut back on otehr things.

Benni

« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2015, 03:13:06 PM »

This is exactly how I feel.  I cannot wear anything but silver or gold in my ears, they will become infected, so I avoid costume jewelry.  I buy one or two great pieces a year rather than a few every now and then.  I may actually save money, knowing my spending tendencies.

Same with sheets and towels.  I am hard on sheets because my feet move all night and wear a hole in the sheet at that spot after about a year or so.  I am down to a couple of sets and am trying to find another that DH and I both like.

Vacation - we like food and will not go cheap on food.  In the past we have purchased groceries and lived on sandwiches while we travel, but now we will stop and check out the local dining.  We have favorite restaurants that we might decide to take a couple of days off and travel hours, just to eat.  But that is okay, because it gives us one of our many small vacations we love to take each year.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2015, 03:39:59 PM »

Vacation - we like food and will not go cheap on food.  In the past we have purchased groceries and lived on sandwiches while we travel, but now we will stop and check out the local dining.  We have favorite restaurants that we might decide to take a couple of days off and travel hours, just to eat.  But that is okay, because it gives us one of our many small vacations we love to take each year.

I just have to say, i despise when people "cheap" out on certain aspects of vacations. When I go away, I don't want to have to pinch pennies on everything. My feeling is, for me anyway, if i can't afford to do it right, I'm not. It drives me nuts when I've traveled in the past with different people, and they complain about how much everything costs! for me, its sucks all the fun out of it. Especially when we've already discused what we plan on doing, and then they want to change there mind once we get there.

For me, the example is Disney. I've never been, but I know its pricy, and when I go, I want to stay somewhere on Disney property, and not worry about spending money on eating out, etc. Sure, I could stay elsewhere, cheaper, but then ahve to worry about driving there adn back each day, and so on. I'd much rather wait until I can afford to do it the way I want, then do it halfway. I know I won't enjoy myself if i do.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2015, 04:01:08 PM »
My MIL won't make hotel/motel reservations and won't eat at restaurants when they travel. She makes sandwiches and puts them in a cooler with dry ice. They are frozen hard, no one can eat them! The hotel/motel no reservation policy has hurt them many times, with them having to drive for hours to find somewhere decent to stay. Not my idea of a vacation, but to each their own.

Snooks

« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2015, 05:04:26 PM »
My splurges are on things that mean I don't have to make decisions so Graze boxes for work snacks and subscription to a coffee club that sends me a different coffee every month.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2015, 11:09:36 AM »
My MIL won't make hotel/motel reservations and won't eat at restaurants when they travel. She makes sandwiches and puts them in a cooler with dry ice. They are frozen hard, no one can eat them! The hotel/motel no reservation policy has hurt them many times, with them having to drive for hours to find somewhere decent to stay. Not my idea of a vacation, but to each their own.

I drove cross country 10+ years ago with two friends. Both of whom are in the "let's just wing it" camp. Me, I'm a planner, and I told them, in no uncertain terms, we would not be doing that, as I was not going to run the risk of having to drive miles to find a place to stay.

So I did all the planning, made all the reservations, and then told them, when they had the nerve to grumble at me on our next to last day coming home, when the drive was so very long, that since neither of them had any interest in the planning aspect, they would have to deal with what I'd done.

They did thank me that night, since it was a holiday weekend, and as we checked in, we saw a number of folks being turned away who hadn't thought to make reservations.

greencat

« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2015, 05:06:10 PM »
A conversation with a friend today reminded us of this one:  we splurge on buying real leather shoes, because they last for years and years and still look nice.  I still cry a little bit inside over a certain pair high heels I used to own that I loved because they were comfortable and so very sexy, but the fake leather fell apart after two years.  Conversely, I owned a pair of real leather boots for the better part of 5 years before I managed to inflict enough damage on them to render them irreparable. 

AnnaT

« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2015, 02:27:20 AM »
I am about to embark on my 'bucket list' trip of a lifetime.  I had a budget for my accommodation (a certain amount per night) and stuck to it, apart from one night, where I splurged.  I'm a little bit nervous about it because I've never paid so much for one night's accommodation before, but I'm away for two months and this is my only extravagant hotel purchase so I think I'm good. :)

Peppergirl

« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2015, 05:59:23 AM »
I get my hair highlighted professionally.  In the two years I've been here, this is the 4th stylist I've found and I finally have a winner!  I'm not a difficult customer, but I have difficult hair in a small town so it's been hard to find someone who did a good job.  She's the most expensive in town, which means she's about the same as what I paid back in my home town for an average-priced stylist.

I have acrylic nails because mine are awful.

I get pedicures, but I keep it to only 3 or 4 times a year due to cost.

Coffee - I bought a cappuccino/latte maker for home and it's paid for itself.  I still occasionally buy it when I'm out, but it's always on-the-run.

Publix, a southern grocery store chain.  I used to shop there exclusively, but now that my son is back home with me I've had to cut back a bit and start shopping at Super Store for the bulk of my stuff. :(

Charmin bath tissue.

Lawn service.  I detest lawn care and I haven't owned a mower since I moved here.  That's how I justify the cost of the lawn care.   ;D  Yes, I know this is ridiculous and that I'm delusional. 

Purses, although I've cut back considerably.  I have a Michael Kors I've been carrying for well over a year, with a matching wallet.  When I was married and had more disposable income I used to drive him nuts with a new (expensive) purse every month or so.   >:D

Bras.  I can only seem to fit well in certain models of Vics Secret.

That's all for now.  I'm having to cut back a bit, due to accepting a new job that offers less overtime..so I'll be pruning my list. 

Edited to add - soy candles, bought from a local maker.  They aren't much more expensive than the lesser quality in stores.  They are better for the environment, don't cause headaches, and I am supporting local business.  I'm really good at justifying! lol

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 06:21:09 AM by Peppergirl »

NFPwife

« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2015, 09:33:40 AM »
.....so I'll be pruning my list. 

But not your shrubs! (Couldn't resist :)  )

Your post reminded me that I've splurged on purses recently. I have a Michael Kors and two D&Bs. I have zero justification for any of them. I think the MK was the first purse I've ever spent over $100 on. It was the gateway purse.