News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 25, 2016, 09:04:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tips for occupying your mind - update #41  (Read 3316 times)

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
Re: Tips for occupying your mind
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2015, 04:17:51 PM »
Add me to the list of mental storytellers.   I make up stories all the time when I can't sleep, I'm in a no-tech zone, etc. 

I have to be careful, I have actually kept myself awake all night due to the twists & turns of the story that I was telling myself.  It had a time travel twist to it - much like Ground Hog Day, I kept ending up at the same point in time until I "found" the path that I was supposed to take instead of the multiple wrong ones.

Guilty. Well, not all night because I physically can't. But way too late.

dawnfire

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2015, 09:55:23 PM »
I do mental singing. I basically sing in my head, it may or may not involve using my larynx but I don't open my mouth. (so basically I'm singing without opening my mouth).

Whittlesea Victoria

FauxFoodist

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2015, 10:17:37 PM »
Mine is really boring, but I counted.  I once worked as at a job where I was a telephone operator and sat in front of a computer.  We weren't allowed to talk to our coworkers, we weren't allowed to read, write, etc.  Basically, all we were to do for the entirety of the time we were working was sit there and do nothing until the next call came in.  Given that the calls didn't come in that often, it was incredibly boring.  I found a way around the rules, brought up Notepad and typed the numbers as I counted.  People wondered what I was doing.  I simply said I was counting.  They gave me funny looks.  Boring but better than sitting there staring off into space until the next call came through.

Biscuitgirl

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2015, 12:20:12 AM »
I do this, too, but I play "A My Name Is Alice." (A my name is Alice, my husband's name is Adam, we live in Albany/Argentina and we drive an Acura/eat apples/have an Airedale ... B my name is Barbara, my husband's name is Brad. We live in Buffalo/Bolivia and we drive a Buick/eat broccoli/have a Boston terrier ...)

I like to keep it challenging by imposing strict rules on myself for a given go-round. If I'm doing cars, they must be all makes or all models, not both. Foods must all be produce or cereals or brand names, no mixing.

That's actually pretty cool.  I'm going to start doing that.

CakeEater

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2015, 07:13:34 AM »
I sometimes give a historical figure who has popped into our time a tour of modern life and try to explain how things work.

I do that! I never imagined that anyone else did. My favorite time travelers are Louisa May Alcott and Benjamin Franklin.

I sometimes give a historical figure who has popped into our time a tour of modern life and try to explain how things work.

I thought I was the only person who did that. :) My favorites are royal figures, since I like imagining the cultural and status changes that they'd be trying to understand.

Lots of us! I do royalty too. Mostly Tudor queens.

Betelnut

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
When I'm having a hard time getting to sleep and my mind is going over the events of the day, I find that obsessively thinking about the most recent competitive reality show really helps.  Thinking about Face Off and how I would have completed the challenge allows me to drift off to sleep without worrying about work.

Or, imagining what I would do with the money if I won the lottery...
Native Texan, Marylander currently

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2015, 03:40:01 PM »
I calculate something in the room or sing comedy songs if there is really nothing to calculate.  The holes in those white ceiling tiles are very useful and you can pretend you are looking at a negative of a photo of the sky and end up quoting '2001'.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 03:55:35 PM by zyrs »

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2015, 05:40:15 PM »
Add me to the list of mental storytellers.   I make up stories all the time when I can't sleep, I'm in a no-tech zone, etc. 

I have to be careful, I have actually kept myself awake all night due to the twists & turns of the story that I was telling myself.  It had a time travel twist to it - much like Ground Hog Day, I kept ending up at the same point in time until I "found" the path that I was supposed to take instead of the multiple wrong ones.

Guilty. Well, not all night because I physically can't. But way too late.

I finally realized as the sun was coming up that I really should get at least a short nap before the alarm went off.

But about once a year, I have a night when I cannot go to sleep.  At least my body seemed to agree - because it was about a year before the next time I couldn't go to sleep.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2015, 09:39:41 AM »

I do that! I never imagined that anyone else did. My favorite time travelers are Louisa May Alcott and Benjamin Franklin.

I thought I was the only person who did that. :) My favorites are royal figures, since I like imagining the cultural and status changes that they'd be trying to understand.

Lots of us! I do royalty too. Mostly Tudor queens.

I used to do that with Laura Ingalls Wilder when I was a kid.

MonteCristo

• My Esty Shop
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2015, 01:55:26 PM »
I write mental fan fiction too, although mine is usually in a tv format, so I'm really menally directing.  This can take up tons of time, and is honestly how I put myself to sleep at night. 

Another thing I do, which I should probably keep to myself ( :o ), is that I have long drawn out conversations with my imaginary therapist.  I know, I'm a total nutcase.  But it honestly helps me sort out tons of stuff.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2015, 02:38:15 PM »

Another thing I do, which I should probably keep to myself ( :o ), is that I have long drawn out conversations with my imaginary therapist.  I know, I'm a total nutcase.  But it honestly helps me sort out tons of stuff.

Growing up, Lil Sis & I shared a bed for years - Mom liked buying only full size sheets & they'd work for any bed in the house.  We talked things out at night before going to sleep.

Getting married, I found out that my new groom did not process his day the same way.  And I'm using the talking things over with myself at night to process the events of the day before going to sleep.

It's amazing how different a conversation sounds in your head from being spoken aloud - it sounds so much *less* sensible when spoken aloud.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

lorelai

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2015, 10:26:45 PM »
Everyone - thank you so much for all these tips! In the last month I've done the following:

- fan fiction (for now, Gilmore Girls and the Walking Dead)
- what I'd do with different amounts of lottery winnings
- mental geography (I was trying to list all of the countries that only have four letters in them, there are 10 I think)
- meal planning (I've been trying to expose my son to different ethnic foods in order to broaden his palate, so I've done this one the most)

... But then I realized, I actually can play podcasts from my phone as long as it's not in the contraption with me, and even though they can hear it outside the room, no one has given me troubles over it. So the last couple of times I've listed to my favorite podcast.

I'm not going to rely on the podcast all the time, as I find the above quite enjoyable too. Thank you again!

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Re: Tips for occupying your mind - update #41
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2015, 02:33:14 AM »
If you can play audio, what about downloading some guided mindfulness meditation audio files to listen to while you're waiting?

Just google "Guided Mindfulness meditation". There are plenty of free audio guides that you can download the audio files of and work through at your own pace. Some range from 5 minutes all the way up to 45 minutes and you can work your way through as many different kinds as you want. They can really help you de-stress and I find them incredibly relaxing to do last thing at night when I get into bed. I feel so relaxed and calm after I do them.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Yvaine

Re: Tips for occupying your mind - update #41
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2015, 07:57:00 AM »
Sometimes I think whole albums in my head. There are a few in my collection that I really do know that well--it's like I'm listening to it in my mind. Or I daydream about something fun I'm looking forward to or something fun I've done in the past.