Author Topic: Recommendations for a hotel near Disneyland?  (Read 482 times)

Hurricane Marathon

Recommendations for a hotel near Disneyland?
« on: December 08, 2014, 04:23:17 PM »
I'm doing the Star Wars Rebel Challenge race at Disneyland in January and I've already got a room booked at the Days Inn Anaheim, which looks to be right behind Disneyland, but after reading the recent reviews I'm wondering if I should spend a longer dollar and get a room at a nicer hotel.  I booked the room when I thought I was going alone but now (if all goes well) I'm bringing a friend with me so we'll be splitting the room cost.  I'm looking at around $100 per night on Hotels.com (no cancellation fee in case of flight issues - we fly standby) or up to $130 with the hotel directly.  We also are not going to rent a car at LAX, we're going to grab the Disneyland Express bus, but if the hotel has a shuttle to and from LAX that would be even better. 

I need the hotel to be super close because I'll be walking to the start line of the race alone at like 3:30 am.  (No worries about safety, thousands of other people will be walking to the start line too.)

Any suggestions for inexpensive yet non-sketchy hotels?

leeleesmommy

Re: Recommendations for a hotel near Disneyland?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 04:36:24 PM »
We stayed at the Hilton Anaheim and loved it!  It was an easy walk to Disneyland and the hotel itself was lovely.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 04:37:49 PM »
Unfortunately no. Not in Anaheim. Hotels are terribly overpriced near the park. When you say $100 - $130 do you mean each person if you split the room, or total? Disneyland has their own "Good Neighbor Hotels" list on their website: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/hotels/good-neighbor/
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 04:50:05 PM »
When you say $100 - $130 do you mean each person if you split the room, or total?

Total for each night. I'm not fussy.  ;D

Lynnv

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 05:04:14 PM »
I have stayed at all three of these hotels for business.  I can't vouch for exactly how far they are from Disney, as that wasn't why I was there.  But I seem to recall each being pretty close:

Homewood Suites:  I think it is about 2 miles from Disney, and I do remember seeing a shuttle of some sort when I was there-though it might not be running that early.  Upside: they serve breakfast every day and a hot dinner Monday through Thursday (including beer/wine for the adults).  And they have a kitchenette in the room if you prefer to cook something.  They are generally more than the other two.

Hilton Garden Inn:  It is, IIRC, closer to Disney.  And they also serve breakfast.  It was free for me-but that might be because I have loads and loads of status with the chain.  Again, I am pretty sure I saw a Disney shuttle there.

Hampton Inn:  Also pretty close to Disney.  And they serve breakfast too (not the morning of the run as you will be gone before it starts). 

All three are pretty nice.  You would need to check to see what rooms they had available for you.  All three have free wi-fi IIRC (again, I have enough status that I never pay at this chain).  And all three are pretty close to Disney, though not right next door obviously.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Snooks

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 05:16:38 PM »
We stayed in the Holiday Inn Express. It's walking distance and was nice, clean and quiet. Not sure how much we paid because it was a while ago we went.

Runningstar

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 06:40:59 PM »
Just a thought, have you priced out actually staying in one of Disney's "value" resorts?  We found that we actually saved money by staying there and it was so nice to gain the extra guest only hours at the park.

Frog24

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 06:25:20 PM »
You could also call the hotels and ask if they're willing to match the on-line price.  Some hotels will do this as it means they actually make more money.  It's worth checking.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 08:10:36 PM »
My favorite is the Best Western Park Place Inn. Literally across the street from Disneyland. Try the Tropicana too. Just two doors down from the BWPPI.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 10:18:43 PM »
It was a few years ago (2010), but I stayed at the Anaheim Fairfield Inn. It was clean, comfortable, and safe, though no frills. It was also across the street from Disneyland and I could watch the fireworks from the balcony. :)

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 02:58:19 PM »
Right now I'm looking at The Clarion, according to the map it's across the street and down a little.  Expedia has a good rate and the Disneyland Express goes right near it.  Someone I know who did the recent Avengers Half Marathon recommended The Annabella but it was a bit out of my price range.  Plus The Clarion is a hotel with inner hallways (as opposed to room doors that open right to the outside) which makes me feel safer.  It's just around the corner from The Annabella.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 10:42:36 PM »
Just a thought, have you priced out actually staying in one of Disney's "value" resorts?  We found that we actually saved money by staying there and it was so nice to gain the extra guest only hours at the park.

You're thinking of Walt Disney World. There aren't any "value" hotels at DL. The least expensive is Paradise Pier. The next most expensive is the Disneyland Hotel. The most expensive is Disney's Grand Californian. I can tell you that $265/night is a fantastic deal at the GC. You can call Disney and see id there any deals at any of the hotels, especially for the race.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 10:20:25 AM »
Thanks for your replies, everyone.  I booked us into The Clarion. Expedia had a great price and I could pay in Canadian $.   

I'm hoping to save up enough cash to stay at a Disney Hotel when I do The Dopey at Walt Disney World in 2016.  It depends on whether my friend and I bring our husbands - if so we'll rent a car and get a cheap condo (I've done that before) but if not we'll pay the long dollar and stay where we can get shuttles to the races.