News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 01, 2015, 05:24:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any Dog Groomers Here?  (Read 425 times)

Syfygeek

Any Dog Groomers Here?
« on: March 11, 2015, 11:42:16 AM »
I have become more and more disillusioned with my job, my boss, my organization. So I've decided after almost 9 years it's time to move on. When booking doggie daycare for a donor, I discovered the company, locally owned, offers a dog grooming course and apprenticeship. The more I've thought about it, the more I want to do this.

The thought of working with dogs all day makes me smile. I know it's hard work, and I'd like to ask any groomers out there to let me know if, you had it all to do over again, would you still become a groomer?

Thanks!

Syfygeek
That's my purse! I don't know you!

SiotehCat

Re: Any Dog Groomers Here?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 12:40:38 PM »
Hi there! I've been a dog/cat groomer for 11 years now. Most of the time, I wouldn't change a thing. I'm happy to go to work and I have fun while I'm there. With that being said, it took a while to get to that point.

The dogs are not easy to work with sometimes and the bites aren't even the worst of it. I've only been bitten about 6 times, but I've been scratched like crazy. I've had dogs back kick me, drag me and knock me down.

And the clients can be even worse! Pet people are very special. I've been screamed at, cursed at and threatened. People love to call us incompetent when we won't do whatever they want us to do.

I have learned to leave most of my feelings at home.

I don't want to scare you, because after you get past that, it's very rewarding. Once you get going, the pay is good. Mostly it's by commission, so there are slow times like Bad weather days and all of September.

Syfygeek

Re: Any Dog Groomers Here?
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 08:39:38 PM »
Thank you.  I've worked with brides, prom girls, truck drivers and donors. And volunteered at dog rescues. I hope those have toughened me up enough  to play nice with pet parents.
That's my purse! I don't know you!