Author Topic: Hair help - split ends  (Read 509 times)

goldilocks

Hair help - split ends
« on: December 23, 2014, 03:40:46 PM »
My conditioner  actually seems to be making my split ends work.  Any suggestions for a   good shampoo and conditioner, that also smells good?

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: Hair help - split ends
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 03:50:58 PM »
I don't know about split ends, but my problem is losing hair when I wash. I tried a sample of L'oreal shampoo and conditioner that's suppose to prevent that and it worked. I still lose hair, but way less. Maybe you can check some of their products for split ends. Here's the website (sounds like I work for them, but I don't ;D):

http://www.lorealparisusa.com/en/Products/Hair/Hair-Care.aspx

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 03:57:18 PM »
I have fine hair that I color at home.  Used to be oily, but it has dried out with time.  I use Biosilk silk therapy after washing, just on the last 2" (shoulder-length) hair. It costs a BOMB (like $10 US for a small bottle) but you use just a tiny bit, about 1/2 teaspoon or so, so it lasts.  Really helps for me.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 03:59:10 PM »
Well, if your conditioner makes your split ends work, I'm thinking you're using the right brand. ;)

I asked my DD#2 (hair stylist) for recommendations. She said "A hair cut. There's really nothing that will glue the split ends together, the split ends will just keep splitting more."

That being said, a few months ago DD#2 brought home shampoo and conditioner from Pureology. It is quite pricey, but it is by far the best product I've ever used on my hair. Once my split ends were trimmed -- for the first time ever, no more split ends for me between trimmings.

http://www.pureology.com/?cm_mmc=LabeliumSearch-_-Google-_-Pureology+Brand-_-pureology&gclid=Cj0KEQiAwuSkBRC7qKq8rr7796sBEiQA5VnSuGGC1Dt4kgQ_fdlj75CvdBn5xAc9s6o0kzVYxoooPPsaAiua8P8HAQ
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 04:45:50 PM by jpcher »

Mergatroyd

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 05:31:54 PM »
Split ends do keep on splitting, there is no way to bond them together again. Your best bet is to cut them off, and figure out why you are getting them... Hair elastics with metal bits, the same hairstyle everyday, the wrong hairbrush for your hair type, too much heat styling.. All cause split ends. I don't have a favourite S/C, but they are definately not all created equal.

andi

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 06:45:40 PM »
I too was going to say a haircut to get rid of them. But I use matrix insecure to help prevent them. Works great for fine hair

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 08:32:32 PM »
Concur with the others who say you have to cut the extant ones off.

I braid my hair each night before bed, to reduce the amount of friction it copes with overnight.
I also love to use Biosilk silk therapy (when I can afford it, cause it is pricey but SOOO worth it).
Never use a brush on wet hair, only use a wide toothed comb.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 08:35:25 PM »
Satin/Sateen pillow cases.  It seriously reduces the breakage.

The split ends you already have probably just need to be cut off.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:49:46 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

mrkitty

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 08:44:13 PM »
I have had good luck with John Frieda Smooth Start shampoo/conditioner and serum.  I have terrible frizzy hair and split ends (dry, dry, dry!!! and falling out) but since switching and using every day (I used to shampoo only three times per week thinking that was supposed to be better) it seems to work.

greencat

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 08:47:54 PM »
If your hair is breaking a lot, first take a look at your diet - many dietary deficiencies can cause hair weakness or loss.  Ask your doctor to recommend a dietician, and start keeping a food diary now since the dietician will probably ask you to keep one anyway.

Definitely get a haircut to remove the damaged ends to help keep the existing splits from traveling farther up the hair shaft.  You might have to get it cut shorter than you really want in order to remove the damaged ends.

Use a thermal protection spray when you heat style.

I really like John Frieda brand "Secret Weapon" which isn't very expensive and does really amazing things controlling my hair.

Check your shampoo and conditioner - sulfates or protein or silicone can all cause damage to hair.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 09:02:13 PM »
I was going to suggest what greencat just did.  Look for a sulphate free shampoo.  I use a L'Oreal one.  I also avoid silicone in conditioners and other hair products.

No brush unless my hair is dry and I'm just pulling it back for a ponytail and rarely use a blow dryer.  Pretty much wash, comb out and go for me.  Since the switch, I don't get many split ends.  I only get my hair cut every 4 or so months now.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 10:02:54 PM »
I can feel the strands of my hair breaking whenever I try to get tangles out when it's dry, and I hardly ever use a brush at all anymore. At this point, I only brush my hair to straighten it (with a blow dryer and round brush) or when it is already straight. When I wear it curly, I don't even like to finger comb it because I start to feel hair breaking all over the place.

One thing that I have realized is that dry hair is frizzy hair, but so is well-brushed hair (if it's not straight). A lot of the products out there meant to combat frizz are basically just silicone, which makes your hair look smooth in the short term, but dries it out in the long term. Silicones coat the hair shaft and are almost impossible to remove (even with sulfate shampoo, which is itself very drying). The coated hair shaft can't absorb more moisture, so it ends up getting even more dry, and more frizzy. Brushing hair that isn't straight just separates the natural wave or curl, which makes your hair look bushy and frizzy. Not brushing wavy or curly hair once you get out of the shower helps the hair clump together, which is what allows it to avoid looking frizzy. My hair, when I wear it curly, still has a lot of little fly-aways and a bit of frizziness, because that's just what my hair does. But leaving the locks of hair alone and letting them clump together into ringlets means that the frizzies aren't the dominant feature of my hair. I'm pretty sure nobody really notices them but me at this point.

Not all shampoos and conditioners are created equal, but I've become very skeptical of a lot of the claims that some brands make about what their products can do. In part because I've seen a ton of "moisturizing" shampoos that have as their first ingredient some form of a sulfate, and in part because none of them ever seem to live up to their claims. For me, using shampoo as infrequently as I can get away with (about twice a week at the moment) and using generous amounts of conditioner is what keeps my hair healthy. I use conditioner first to detangle (by loading my hair up with conditioner, then rinsing it out while I comb out tangles with a wide toothed comb), then to actually condition while I do other shower stuff, and after rinsing that out to get my hair set up for its ultimate style, I add a teeny bit back in that I don't rinse out.

I also think that avoiding unnecessary heat styling is key. I blow dry my bangs straight every morning, and they have way more fly-aways and split ends than the rest of my hair. I'm willing to live with it on my bangs, because my hair grows quickly and they need to be trimmed regularly, but it would be horrible to have the rest of my hair in the same condition. I only straighten the rest of my hair maybe once a month, because it takes awhile and is boring, but I otherwise let it mostly air dry. Finding a style that you like that doesn't require regular heat styling really helps keep your hair in good shape.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 10:12:19 PM »
I use Aphogee 2-step protein treatment to prevent split ends.  It's basically pure keratin that you bake into your hair shaft.  After I use it I do a deep conditioning treatment to add moisture back into my hair.  I then seal my hair with mix of various oils I've put together.

I used to use Nexus Emergency hair reconstructor, but they changed the formula and it doesn't have as much keratin anymore.  I get the Aphogee from my local Sally Beauty supply or off of amazon

MrsVandy

• Formally futurelillady
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 11:41:44 PM »
I'm a hairstylist. I agree with jpcher's dd you will have to cut the splits. But if you find that your conditioner is making it worse try switching it up. Pureology is a great brand, especially if your hair is fine. Mine's thick like a beast and I colour frequently, so I use Paul Mitchel's Awapuhi wild ginger shampoo and conditioner. Added bonus it smells amazing! Although it is on the pricey side.