Author Topic: Best before dates... to eat or not to eat, that is the question  (Read 875 times)

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: Best before dates... to eat or not to eat, that is the question
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 04:20:40 PM »
I personally would toss it if past expiration or best by date... better safe than sorry and most canned goods are fairly inexpensive anyway... but to each his own! it will feel great to have that free space to fill with holiday groceries.

I may keep things for a week or two past the best by date, but this is how I feel too. My family has health issues and it's better safe than sorry for catastrophic illness that could have been prevented. Saving a few dollars is not worth it.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 04:22:17 PM »
Whoops!  From the title I thought this was going to be a discussion on whether or not to eat before going on a potential romantic outing date.  My vote for that was "Yes, it never hurts to have a little nosh in case things are delayed."  SylviaTexas -- you weren't alone!

My vote on expired food is the opposite -- I'd rather risk disposing of perfectly good food than risk getting sick.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

merryns

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 04:26:47 PM »
Whoops!  From the title I thought this was going to be a discussion on whether or not to eat before going on a potential romantic outing date.  My vote for that was "Yes, it never hurts to have a little nosh in case things are delayed."  SylviaTexas -- you weren't alone!

I thought that too.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 04:28:19 PM »

I thought that too.

Me too. I thought it was about wondering if you should eat just in case your date turns out to be a cheapskate or something like that.

lilfox

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 05:00:41 PM »
Pro-tip: do not eat tofu past the sell-by date.  Yikes.  (I didn't get to the eating part but I did get to the pan-frying it part and the smell was off-putting enough to cause me the pitch the whole thing.)

My DH has eaten canned fruit a decade (yes and against my advice) past the best before date, with no ill effects.  He probably would have eaten more canned/jarred food that was 5+ years past the stamped date, but those mysteriously disappeared.

He would also vote that half-empty bottles of salad dressing and other condiments last indefinitely in the fridge (some even in the pantry at room temp), based on his personal experience of not getting violently ill from them.  And I know a number of people who are not fussed about small but still visible amounts of mold on bread.  Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

My own rule is that a month or so after the stamped date is fine if the can or jar is intact and the contents smell and look normal when opened.  Most of our spices are in the year+ category and I haven't had any issues with them, although I will use more if the container is getting low and the potency is probably lower and have to remember to adjust to smaller amounts when using a fresh container.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 05:10:42 PM »
Pro-tip: do not eat tofu past the sell-by date.  Yikes.  (I didn't get to the eating part but I did get to the pan-frying it part and the smell was off-putting enough to cause me the pitch the whole thing.)

My DH has eaten canned fruit a decade (yes and against my advice) past the best before date, with no ill effects.  He probably would have eaten more canned/jarred food that was 5+ years past the stamped date, but those mysteriously disappeared.

He would also vote that half-empty bottles of salad dressing and other condiments last indefinitely in the fridge (some even in the pantry at room temp), based on his personal experience of not getting violently ill from them.  And I know a number of people who are not fussed about small but still visible amounts of mold on bread.  Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

I think I used to work with your husband.  My colleague once used a blow dryer to remove dampness from lettuce so he could eat it.  Erk!
Formerly Mrs.Bart

darling

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 05:57:24 PM »
For spices, I usually get rid of them shortly after the expiration date, because of one incident at my mom's house about 10 years ago…

I wanted to add dill to a dish, took out the container, poured some in my hand in order to crush it, and found the shed larval skins from some unknown insect in amongst the leaves… So, I've come to consider the expiration date on dry goods as the "hatching" date...

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 07:01:44 PM »

I thought that too.

Me too. I thought it was about wondering if you should eat just in case your date turns out to be a cheapskate or something like that.

I was all ready to start answering the question, too  ;D.  Fortunately, I just cleaned my pantry out in July when we moved.  The spices moved with us, though...

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 09:55:14 PM »
Well, I'm nuts:

I thought the title of this thread meant,
"Is it better to eat before a date, like Scarlett O'Hara before the barbeque, or is it better to refrain from eating before a date?"

(you may not want to know how I thought the Latin word "suberbum" in the name of a plant was pronounced.)

;D
That is exactly what I thought, too.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 09:58:40 PM »
I won't use it after any kind of 'ending' date.  My husband will and if he survives, I might eat it the next day....(that's our on going joke).
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

o_gal

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2014, 08:07:43 AM »
I guess we're the odd people here. We don't look at any dates. We don't buy many canned goods, so I make sure when buying that I don't get any that have any dents or rust. So unless the can is bulging, we'll eat it. We'll also sniff and look at consistency of foods before deciding whether to pitch it. We probably eat tons of stuff that all of the other people in this thread would pitch. Moldy bread is about the only thing we pitch automatically but if it's only a little bit of mold, we'll cut off that piece and a good amount surrounding it and eat the rest. Same with hard cheese.

Both DH and I tend to have cast-iron stomachs. In 2008 there was a massive windstorm in the Midwest that knocked out power for days or weeks for some people. We were able to hook our refrigerator up to a neighbor's generator within 24 hours (and did not open it between the time the power went out and getting temp power back to it.) So we did the sniff test and never pitched anything. Other people were pitching stuff because they had lost power for over 4 hours, because that was the official recommendation.

earthgirl

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2014, 09:39:42 AM »
Well, I'm nuts:

I thought the title of this thread meant,
"Is it better to eat before a date, like Scarlett O'Hara before the barbeque, or is it better to refrain from eating before a date?"

(you may not want to know how I thought the Latin word "suberbum" in the name of a plant was pronounced.)

;D

I thought that exact same thing!

Me three!

catwhiskers

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2014, 10:21:47 AM »
Thanks for the comments. I never thought the title of the thread would cause issues. ;D I'm going to eat it. If anything nasty happens, I'll let you know in the gross out thread.

crankycat

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2014, 11:54:52 AM »
I often use the eatbydate website for reference. I will eat something that fell on the floor (5 second rule!) but get a bit squeemy if something is past the printed date.
http://www.eatbydate.com/