News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 05, 2015, 12:45:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O - "File Under... The Technology Questions that don't deserve a whole thread  (Read 1682 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for those pesky little tech problems.

I'll bite with a new question:

Does the weather have anything to do with internet (WiFi) connection?

I sit outside on my screened-in porch whenever I use my laptop. Normally the connection is speedy fast, no lag in videos and a full 4 bars on my connection icon.

Sometimes, when it storms or is overcast for a few days, my connection gets reeeally slooooow and may show 1-3 bars on the icon. Occasionally I'll get a "You're not connected to the internet" prompt. On days like this I'll have to go inside, restart Chrome, get a full 4 bars then go back outside and sometimes it will last for quite a while and sometimes it will immediately go back down to 1-2 bars.

So I'm thinking the answer is "Yes." Weather does affect internet connection, but I've been told that I'm wrong.

Can anybody explain this? Or give me some help on how to fix this problem?

For what it's worth, my modem is in my basement at the front of my house. I'm sitting ground level at the back of my house. I've looked into moving my modem to ground level, but they want $50 to do that and say that I should not do it myself. At the same time, on sunny days the connection is great so why move it?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
My best wild eyed guess is that more water in the soil around the basement might be making a difference in how much wireless signal gets through to the back of the house on the porch/patio?

Sunny days with dry soil - less interference.

Rainy or cloudy days with damp or even soggy soil - more interference & less signal getting through.

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Unless you have satellite internet I would say no.  However, your providers internet connection may be slowing down due to the weather.  If their equipment is a bit older, dampness can affect the wiring.

however, your wifi is up to you.  You can set up a multiple wifi extenders all over the house to grab the signal and boost it.  Most of them just plug into the wall.  So no wires or connection to the modem needed. 

Giraffe, Esq

I've noticed the same problem, jpcher!  Except my modem and my wifi router are both in the living room with me when I have these problems.  And I've noticed they often happen after a heavy rain.  My connection will show full, but nothing will load.  Then it will decide to inform me it's a "limited" connection. 

Restarting the modem or the router can help -- for about 3 minutes.  Drives me bonkers!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
If you have satellite internet, it might be that less signal is getting through the clouds & any rain in the air. 

If you have cable internet, it might be that some equipment is having issues with moisture...or we lost service for several hours more than once after flooding.  I started to wonder where the equipment had been sited, as it seemed to be very susceptible to water damage.  That hasn't happened lately, so I have to give the cable company credit for either fixing the existing location or moving the equipment to a higher & drier spot - whichever turned out to be cheaper & easier, I'm sure.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

LadyDyani

I've noticed the same problem, jpcher!  Except my modem and my wifi router are both in the living room with me when I have these problems.  And I've noticed they often happen after a heavy rain.  My connection will show full, but nothing will load.  Then it will decide to inform me it's a "limited" connection. 

Restarting the modem or the router can help -- for about 3 minutes.  Drives me bonkers!

We had that problem. Turns out the box outside wasn't as waterproof as it should have been, it would get wet and then cycle constantly. At one point the tech said it cycles 20,000 times inside of 10 minutes. TWC had to replace it, it's been working fine ever since.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
The cable inlet for our building was full of leaves and insect debris. The speed of the internet and the quality of the video greatly improved once they cleaned it out.

Carotte

I've actually never used PowerPoint, I have no idea of what can or can't be done on it and I don't have it to try it (I use libreoffice) but I've been commissioned for a bunch of graphic design things, including PowerPoint slides (well graphic items for a PP presentation).
So if anyone knows of a website who would be clear on how to use PP, but like a "custom" use of it (presentations that need to be in a strict predefined structure compliant with the graphic identity - type of use and how it works) that would be great!

I'm trying the library tomorrow but in the meanwhile :)

LadyDyani

There are tons of PP lessons online, both written and videos.

I gotta say, I work in IT and 50% of my job is googling the issue to figure out what the problem is. The other 50% is asking if they tried turning it off and on again.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
http://www.lynda.com/

Is a very good site for graphics training of all kinds . . . search for PowerPoint to get an idea of the courses offered (from essentials on up)

Of course, you have to pay for it ;) BUT! for $25 you can get a 1-month subscription and go into any/all of their training videos -- might be worth it if you're looking into some design training as well.

There's also a free-trial option. You can access all their training videos for 10 days, but you have to cancel or the subscription will kick in.

jpcher

• Super Hero!

Does the weather have anything to do with internet (WiFi) connection?

Just a minor updatish -- After I posted here I called my internet company to have them refresh my signal. They did detect some interference. Refreshing the signal worked wonderfully and I was going zoom-fast again.

Until yesterday when we had some pretty good storms. My computer was oh-so-slow! I called them back, they refreshed my signal again and commented "Because you recently called for the same issue, I'll put this down in your notes. Please call us back if it happens again and we'll send out a technician right away."

So, next time it rains? Maybe I'll get an answer.

P.S. cicero -- did your problem ever get solved?