News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 26, 2015, 03:53:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need help with a resume  (Read 148 times)

djinnidjream

Need help with a resume
« on: April 17, 2015, 04:56:12 PM »
I don't think this is really an etiquette question, so I put it here instead. 

I'm in the process of applying to be on a committee in the field I work in.  Basically, my work is governed by a set of standards, which are put together by a certain type of committee.  I am applying to be on this committee for certain portions of the standard.  This is not a job application- it's something on the side that would definitely be supported by my company.

Questions:

I do have a college degree- but it as absolutely nothing to do with what I do now.  Do I still include it on the resume?  It would be like applying to be a bus driver, and having a degree to be a librarian- completely unrelated.

I have a ton of working experience, but no real "accomplishments"- no awards, honors, patents, etc.  The experience that I have is mostly self-learned, with input with some people in the industry.  However, I have remarkable retention- one of the committee members called me a "walking encyclopedia".  So my experience is knowledge, plus a lot of hands on experience.  I'm just not sure how to word that.

Can anyone help?
Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Need help with a resume
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 05:32:56 PM »
First -- most definitely list your degree. A degree of any kind is quite an accomplishment. There are a lot of people working in a field different than what their degree is for.

For accomplishments you can list projects where you improved the process, tasks that were completed ahead of schedule. Talk about on-the-job training where you started at entry level and were quickly promoted (or somesuch thing.) List the training you received via self-taught (did you use an on-line tutorial? Read specific books/manuals?)

Others will probably give you better advice, but that's my 2cents worth.

Good Luck!