News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 25, 2015, 03:49:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 875530 times)

Idlewildstudios

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #4215 on: May 22, 2015, 12:13:40 PM »
Coworker is a bit of mooch.

She is very social and is always pimping her latest MLM scheme during her free time.

She knows my DH is in construction.  When I first got to know her, she had a bench that needed repair and could my DH just pop round and mend it?  She was sure it would only take just a moment.  I told her his hourly rate for side work and she suddenly managed to get her DH to fix the bench.

Then her son takes a construction class in school and upon completion is award some sort of card that says he completed the class.  CW is hinting that now summer is coming her son could really use a summer job.  And he has this card that shows he can be a contractor.  If only she could find someone in construction who was hiring...

After several days of her hinting, she finally flat out asked my if my DH would hire her 16 year old son as a contractor.  I had to explain that a real contractor owned their own business and tended to specialize in a trade, like dirt work or cabinetry.  She insisted her son was qualified based on this high school class and would be an asset to any construction crew.  I then told her my DH worked for a Union company and they only hired out of the local Hall.  But I was happy to get her apprenticeship info.  Her best bet was to find a small local handyman type business looking for strong, unskilled summer labor.

Suddenly she is saying that construction workers tend to be crude and obnoxious and she's not sure she wants her son working in that sort of environment.

Two days later she asking me that if my DH has any nice cabinets he comes across in his work, her DH would happily take them for his garage.  You know, so my DH didn't have to just throw away good cabinets.

I told her that since the current job was just breaking ground and new construction, there was no remodeling and no cabinets to be had.  What I didn't tell her is that *everyone* wants cabinets and DH keeps a naughty and nice list and any cabinets  go to the nice list.

She is always hitting up people whose husbands do mechanic work or home repair to "just pop round and have a look" at whatever she needs done at that time, "as a favor, I'm sure it's something so simple and easy to fix!"

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4216 on: May 22, 2015, 01:14:43 PM »
My wife has had a number of appointments with new doctors preparing for surgery, and about half of them call you up the day before to confirm the appointment. [GOOD IDEA!] However, these are robo-calls ("press 1 to confirm") and none of them begin with "This is Dr. XXX's office calling for Barbara". Nooooo, they start with "This is a recorded message concerning your healthcare" (or something like that) and so are not immediately perceived as legitimate messages instead of sales calls. [BAD IDEA!] I have hung up on a number of them before I caught on.

Interesting. I wonder what the actual HIPPA requirements are, since i get calls from my docs either a recording, or a live person leaving a message, reminding me of my appt with dr. so and so, on such and such a date. Using my name. I wonder if they have your phone number of record, if they are then allowed to leave a message like they do. Since they will sometimes say "this message is for siamesecat..."

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4217 on: May 22, 2015, 01:24:53 PM »
I seem to be getting more and more calls daily. It's almost a game, to see where the latest one is from, when I get home and check my caller ID. The latest was the Yukon Territory! and i will have voicemails, which I know are just hangups, but still have to listen to so i can delete them! So very annoying.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4218 on: May 22, 2015, 01:26:34 PM »
Fake charities really, really, bother me. We received a call last night from Breast Cancer Research. I have no way of knowing if this is legitimate or not, but I don't have time to look it up and I don't even have to tell them I donate through other campaigns that I know are real.

Lucas answered the phone, even though I would have just let it go and blocked the number. He started to explain we do not want to be on their calling list (charities don't have to look at the National Do Not Call List) and that we are more well than aware of the disease and that the call was cruel because it was the anniversary of my mother's death from it. Caller got all huffy and hung up. No apology, no promise to put us on their list, or a thank you for listening. This is why I think it was a one of those that gives very little to the real charity, just enough to stay within the law.

I'm really mad. I don't really need a hug. Mom would probably would be gone by now (101) and I know where she is. I just not need to be constantly reminded of those lost years.

And I get really angry for people who are duped by fake charities into donating, thus denying the ones who can really do good the money people think they are giving.

Recently, a number of cancer "charities" came under fire for scamming people, and having names similar to legitimate ones. I think this may have been one, but it was a family affair; and they raked in millions, almost none of which actually went for the purpose they were solicted for.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #4219 on: May 22, 2015, 05:24:37 PM »
My wife has had a number of appointments with new doctors preparing for surgery, and about half of them call you up the day before to confirm the appointment. [GOOD IDEA!] However, these are robo-calls ("press 1 to confirm") and none of them begin with "This is Dr. XXX's office calling for Barbara". Nooooo, they start with "This is a recorded message concerning your healthcare" (or something like that) and so are not immediately perceived as legitimate messages instead of sales calls. [BAD IDEA!] I have hung up on a number of them before I caught on.

Interesting. I wonder what the actual HIPPA requirements are, since i get calls from my docs either a recording, or a live person leaving a message, reminding me of my appt with dr. so and so, on such and such a date. Using my name. I wonder if they have your phone number of record, if they are then allowed to leave a message like they do. Since they will sometimes say "this message is for siamesecat..."

At my doctor's office, you can sign a form if you want them to be able to leave a message.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #4220 on: May 22, 2015, 06:05:44 PM »
This just happened yesterday. 

I was getting a grocery cart in the parking lot, and I was approached by a young woman carrying a baby who asked for a dollar.  I gave her 50 cents, and went into the store.  Once I was in the store, I was approached by someone from the store's loss prevention department, who had seen what happened, and told me that once I'd gone into the store this woman had gotten into a fairly new but very expensive car.  The loss prevention person said she'd been out in the parking lot because there had been lots of complaints about panhandlers in the parking lot.

MaryR

« Reply #4221 on: May 22, 2015, 08:28:21 PM »
We are selling a car. Someone came over to look at it and then offered $500 less than the agreed price because he didn't have enough money. When he was told NO, he got all offended and wanted us to give him money to pay for his wasted time and gas. That was another NO and he started screaming at us, so hubs pulled his phone out to take a video. Many bad words happened before he left, but at least he didn't do any property damage.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #4222 on: May 22, 2015, 09:03:37 PM »
We are selling a car. Someone came over to look at it and then offered $500 less than the agreed price because he didn't have enough money. When he was told NO, he got all offended and wanted us to give him money to pay for his wasted time and gas. That was another NO and he started screaming at us, so hubs pulled his phone out to take a video. Many bad words happened before he left, but at least he didn't do any property damage.

Had a couple of guys show up to pick up a vehicle that one of them had arranged to buy with VorGuy.  They told *me* that they were a bit short ($300 in 1994).  I patted baby VorSon on the back and told them that I could not sell them the car without them coming up with the money or talking to VorGuy about the change in price.

They managed to pull the money out of the other guy's pockets - apparently they were hoping to go to a local gun & knife show with a bit of extra spending money...

I understand the wish - I'd love to go to a quilt show with a few hundred extra dollars myself...

But the agreed on price was what we were willing to sell the car for - not $300 less. 

No screaming was involved...other than by the six month old...who understandably wasn't really talking yet.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

magician5

« Reply #4223 on: May 23, 2015, 06:54:12 AM »

For myself, I've been getting calls from a robot "This is [insurance company mailorder pharmacy] calling for Magician5 - if this is Magician5 say 'yes' or press '1'". I'm so glad no unauthorized person could possibly press '1' if I'm not there.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

JoW

« Reply #4224 on: May 23, 2015, 08:30:31 AM »
A variation of the Overdue Bill scam hit Omaha last weekend, and its almost funny. 

The scammers are calling Omaha restaurants right before the lunch or dinner rush demanding payment of an over-due power bill.  They want $2000 or more delivered to them immediately or the power will be shut of in an hour.  The caller is claiming to represent Omaha Public Power District (OPPD), the power company in Omaha and surrounding areas.   

That's Omaha, pronounced oh-ma-ha.  The scammer is pronouncing it oo-ma-ha.  OPPD has had over 100 calls asking about it.  Apparently the scam works better if you know how to pronounce the name of the company you are pretending to represent. 

MaryR

« Reply #4225 on: May 23, 2015, 08:34:45 PM »

Had a couple of guys show up to pick up a vehicle that one of them had arranged to buy with VorGuy.  They told *me* that they were a bit short ($300 in 1994).  I patted baby VorSon on the back and told them that I could not sell them the car without them coming up with the money or talking to VorGuy about the change in price.

They managed to pull the money out of the other guy's pockets - apparently they were hoping to go to a local gun & knife show with a bit of extra spending money...

I understand the wish - I'd love to go to a quilt show with a few hundred extra dollars myself...

But the agreed on price was what we were willing to sell the car for - not $300 less. 

No screaming was involved...other than by the six month old...who understandably wasn't really talking yet.

We talked about it after he left. We think that he thought that because we are older than dirt and because we live out in the sticks, he thought that he could intimidate us into selling the car cheaper or giving him money to make him go away. The thing he forgot about is that old people have learned from their past mistakes, or they wouldn't live long enough to get old.

Now someone wants to send a money order and have their agent come to get the car. That would be another NO! Cash in hand, and we have a money checking pen.