Author Topic: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread  (Read 55776 times)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
Re: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2013, 05:22:09 PM »
I've never referred to myself as an "American", I'm a New Yorker - everywhere I've ever traveled to (England, the Netherlands, Japan, Ireland, Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico, other states in the USA, etc, everyone knew what I meant when I said "New York". And if someone called me "American" I would clarify (not correct necessarily, but definitely clarify) "actually a New Yorker" because honestly while me and a person from California, or Oregon, or Iowa might all be from the same official country, we are from vastly different places and cultures.

However, it should be noted that very few states or cities have the kind of fervor that New York does.  I think you can just about wrap up that list with Texas and California.  I would never introduce myself as "a Pennsylvanian" because, honestly, living in Pennsylvania isn't that different from living in Florida.  I know, as I lived there for three months.  Other than climate and food/drinks, there's not much different.

Add Idaho to the list.  People around here are very proud to be Idahoans.  Although that might just be the south-east section, where there is a strong undercurrent of, "Heck no, we are not Utahns!"  (Sorry, Utah.)

You would say you're an Idahoan instead of an American?

I find most Americans say they are from a State instead of from a Nation when I am traveling.  Canadians do do that.  We say we were from Canada.  We don't say we are Albertan, Manitoban... only in our own country when someone asks where we are from and people either answer Province or City. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2013, 05:28:11 PM »
I've never referred to myself as an "American", I'm a New Yorker - everywhere I've ever traveled to (England, the Netherlands, Japan, Ireland, Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico, other states in the USA, etc, everyone knew what I meant when I said "New York". And if someone called me "American" I would clarify (not correct necessarily, but definitely clarify) "actually a New Yorker" because honestly while me and a person from California, or Oregon, or Iowa might all be from the same official country, we are from vastly different places and cultures.

However, it should be noted that very few states or cities have the kind of fervor that New York does.  I think you can just about wrap up that list with Texas and California.  I would never introduce myself as "a Pennsylvanian" because, honestly, living in Pennsylvania isn't that different from living in Florida.  I know, as I lived there for three months.  Other than climate and food/drinks, there's not much different.

Add Idaho to the list.  People around here are very proud to be Idahoans.  Although that might just be the south-east section, where there is a strong undercurrent of, "Heck no, we are not Utahns!"  (Sorry, Utah.)

You would say you're an Idahoan instead of an American?

I find most Americans say they are from a State instead of from a Nation when I am traveling.  Canadians do do that.  We say we were from Canada.  We don't say we are Albertan, Manitoban... only in our own country when someone asks where we are from and people either answer Province or City.

Huh.  If someone (outside the US who doesn't know anything about me) asks me where I'm from, I'll usually say America, then if they want to be more specific, I'll say the East Coast or Philadelphia.  Really, PA itself would never enter my head, but then again, PA's a wide state, and there's a lot of PA that's very different than Philly or Pittsburgh.

EllenS

« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2013, 06:06:02 PM »
Re: Basil.
I love using it as a salad green, especially the Black Opal basil (lovely purple leaves and stems)

Really, I have found many herbs quite easy to grow, and many of them, such as rosemary and lavender, prefer a minerally soil that is a bit dry, so if I want to grow something in the parts of my yard that are too poor for veggies, and don't want to amend, the herbs do great there.

Any sunny patch in a temperate climate I would try sticking some thyme and rosemary, and see what you get - they will go for years.  Mint and lemon balm like a damper location, and can stand some shade - but watch out, because mint will take over.

Fresh mint and thyme together make a really nice and tasty tea that is soothing for coughs and colds.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2013, 06:50:02 PM »
I will say I'm from Maryland because "Marylander" sounds weird to me when I say it.

As for herbs, I love growing dill and parsley because they're so easy for one and two, there's a recipe I love to make, corned beef and dill that uses both and while it's fine on its own with store-bought herbs, having them fresh makes it all the better! :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2013, 09:02:32 PM »
re: USians

On another forum where I am a member, we use the terms "USanian" and Canuckistani". All in a joking way, of course.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2013, 09:29:03 PM »
Getting back to having a "Miscellaneous thread for things that don't deserve their own thread",  I question this.  Everyone who starts a thread probably believes it is deserving of being on the board for comments.  Personally, I want to know what the gist of the thread is going to be before I read it.  I don't want to have to guess if it is something I'm interested in reading about.

The reason I made this thread is, there have been many times where a thread has sidetracked, and the sidetrack is actually interesting, albeit to a small group of people.  Then, those people are asked to take it to its own thread, which is great... but it's kind of like the old adage of "why don't they offer up cable completely a la carte," with the answer being that although you may love the three-guys-named-Bill-playing-Parcheesi" channel, if it's not included with other channels it will have too few people interested in it.

So this is basically the equivalent of a cable package... all those sidetracks that are interesting to you, but you just know wouldn't go a whole page if it wasn't in with other topics (admittedly, this one subverted that.  :D)
Well, I do see your point about the thread.  Maybe I was hungry and crabby (OK, go ahead.  Blame the refrigerator!)  and not wanting to go to exercise class when I responded.   
But why cant I get and pay for the channels I want and not a bunch of other junk!  I hate having 300 channels when I watch only about 7 or 8, if that.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2013, 09:29:10 PM »
Re: basil.  Some years ago I had a nice Little window herb garden growing.  I came home one day and my cat had eaten and dug it all up.  On the plus side, he had some really nice breath.

I chucked the remainder of the potting soil that managed to stay in the pot out in the yard.  That was 5 years ago.  I recently ran out of basil and realized I had seen some in the yard...so I went and picked some out in my yard...5 years later, no tending, still getting basil, chives, rosemary, sage and mint popping up.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2013, 09:31:47 PM »
I love it when it's dinnertime, I don't feel like fixing anything, am hungry but lazy and lazy is winning out, and my son comes by with some ribs he baked.   :P
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2013, 09:34:09 PM »
Re: basil.  Some years ago I had a nice Little window herb garden growing.  I came home one day and my cat had eaten and dug it all up.  On the plus side, he had some really nice breath.

I chucked the remainder of the potting soil that managed to stay in the pot out in the yard.  That was 5 years ago.  I recently ran out of basil and realized I had seen some in the yard...so I went and picked some out in my yard...5 years later, no tending, still getting basil, chives, rosemary, sage and mint popping up.

You are so lucky.  In my climate, only the chives and the mint come back year to year.  Everything else has to be replanted every spring.

I used to keep pots of parsley, rotating them to a lower shelf, just for my cat to nibble on.  She loved it and it kept her breath from getting too stinky.

Tip for keeping mint from spreading too badly:  Get a large pot and cut the bottom off of it.  Bury it in the ground where you want to plant the mint (or lemon balm - same family), leaving about an inch above the soil.  Plant the mint in the middle of the pot.  You have to do a little bit of work each spring/summer, pulling out the trailers that root from plants falling over but it does a good job keeping it reasonably in control.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2013, 09:39:45 PM »
^^^I live in Central Florida.  It's fairly temperate for herb growing.  You are more likely to get herbs sunburnt than it getting cold enough to freeze enough to kill the roots.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

AngelicGamer

« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2013, 12:17:41 AM »
Re: saying which state you're from

I love that I can say that I'm a Chicagoan and people understand.  We're just awesome like that.   ;D 

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2013, 12:35:49 AM »
Fair enough. My experiences differ, but as this is all anecdata anyway it's worth exactly as much as you paid for it  :) This thread is the first time I've heard that some Canadians didn't identify as Americans.

Maria, I'm wondering - is that when you're speaking Danish with them? Because it sounds like English and Danish use very different terminology here.

I've never heard of Canadians choosing to identify themselves as Americans when travelling. In fact, there are all sorts of stories (mostly, I hope, urban legends) that we get better treatment if we make it clear we're Canadian.

Ohhh!! I missed that Maria is speaking a different language.  Yes, I agree with Twik.  Different language and use of terminology.

Well, it's definitely much more common in Danish, but no - this has been when speaking (or typing) in English. My first introduction to USians was on a mailing list for L.M. Montgomery where a large part of the members were from Canada. You're right that they didn't want to be mistaken for people from the US, but the general consensus there, at the time, was that Americans was an expected way of referring to people living on the land masses between the Atlantic and the Pacific.

I actually haven't yet met any Canadians who spoke Danish.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:27:24 AM by MariaE »

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

mmswm

« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2013, 01:16:02 AM »
^^^I live in Central Florida.  It's fairly temperate for herb growing.  You are more likely to get herbs sunburnt than it getting cold enough to freeze enough to kill the roots.

Try oregano.  Even in extreme south Florida that stuff does quite well.  So well, in fact, the a friend of mine has spent the last several years trying to get actual grass on her side yard because the oregano completely took over. They pull the stuff like weeds but it keeps coming back.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Dr. F.

« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2013, 08:47:39 AM »

Try oregano.  Even in extreme south Florida that stuff does quite well.  So well, in fact, the a friend of mine has spent the last several years trying to get actual grass on her side yard because the oregano completely took over. They pull the stuff like weeds but it keeps coming back.

Oregano is also in the mint family - it spreads. The buried pot technique will work for it, too.

To prevent ongoing hijack of the "Never Shopping There Again" thread, I'm putting the bear story here.
(Another poster said something like that you don't wake up to find a bear on your toilet...)
A friend living in the mountains of So Cal woke up in the middle of the night to find a bear on their back porch - eating a gallon of ice cream it had gotten out of the freezer. It had popped the sliding glass door off it track, gotten into the kitchen, opened the freezer and snagged the ice cream and was enjoying a nice treat by moonlight.

They figured out a better way to secure their door.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2013, 10:01:10 AM »
Re: saying which state you're from

I love that I can say that I'm a Chicagoan and people understand.  We're just awesome like that.   ;D

Along the same lines, we almost always say that we're from Brooklyn or at least New York.  Anywhere we go people will understand that.  After all, a brand of Italian chewing gum is called 'Brooklyn'.