Author Topic: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread  (Read 55988 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread
« Reply #135 on: April 11, 2013, 09:33:11 PM »
So, I was listening to Pandora most of the day.  I was struck by how many of the songs had really strong innuendos and how I could have possibly missed that as some of the lyrics were quite sexually blatant.  Granted some I hadn't heard since I was a young teen..."My Sharona" comes to mind.  I seriously cannot believe I missed what that was about.

Anyone else do a double or triple take at the radio when you find yourself singing along and have an  epiphany on just what a song is actually about?
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2013, 09:36:17 PM »
So, I was listening to Pandora most of the day.  I was struck by how many of the songs had really strong innuendos and how I could have possibly missed that as some of the lyrics were quite sexually blatant.  Granted some I hadn't heard since I was a young teen..."My Sharona" comes to mind.  I seriously cannot believe I missed what that was about.

Anyone else do a double or triple take at the radio when you find yourself singing along and have an  epiphany on just what a song is actually about?

Yep. Unfortunately, that epiphany happened when I had a playlist going that had many thinly veiled references to illegal substances. Our OIC was amused, but I was fully expecting "random" drug tests until the dawn of time.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

EllenS

« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2013, 09:50:20 PM »
Speaking solely in terms of common usage within the U.S., I think the difference of using the terms "European" or "Asian" - or "African" for that matter, is that they are used for an ethnicity, or area of family origin, rather than a country of residence.  An "American" does not imply ethnicity, but you might have an "African American" an "Asian American".  I never hear "European American", but I do sometimes hear US citizens refer to themselves or other as being "American of European descent".

I suppose that is because the indigenous ethincities of the Americas are no longer the social/political majority in the population.  Of course, this usage may be only common in the US, I don't know.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #138 on: April 11, 2013, 10:08:18 PM »

Two words Dazi. Barbie Girl.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #139 on: April 11, 2013, 10:09:45 PM »

So many theories on that song. So. Many. Theories.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Nikko-chan

« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2013, 10:12:32 PM »

Sorry afbluebelle. :D Seriously though, when I was young my cousin and I used to dance to it. I listened to it recently (like 2 or so years ago) again, expecting that same song about a barbie doll. then the realization hit me. "No.... no. No! Nooooooooo!" My childhood was shattered.  ;)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2013, 10:56:24 PM »
As far as the basil/pesto thing I think it comes down to this:  People think of basil as an ingredient in a lot of things  but as the key ingredient in pesto.  If you ask me what I can make with tomatoes there are many, many things but my mind always seems to go to spaghetti sauce.  Now I know they are not the only thing in spaghetti sauce and I knpw there are so many other things oyu could make with them that ti is mind numbing.  However, for a lot of people that is kind of the signature food and the one they thik of first.  My guess is that the same is true of basil and pesto.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2013, 12:42:07 AM »
Well, it's definitely much more common in Danish, but no - this has been when speaking (or typing) in English. My first introduction to USians was on a mailing list for L.M. Montgomery where a large part of the members were from Canada. You're right that they didn't want to be mistaken for people from the US, but the general consensus there, at the time, was that Americans was an expected way of referring to people living on the land masses between the Atlantic and the Pacific.

I actually haven't yet met any Canadians who spoke Danish.

I can only imagine they were pulling your leg because being Canadian, lived there most of my life there, met other Canadians while traveling around the world - I've never met a Canadian who called themselves American, except one instance where they were being deliberately messing with an American. I suspect they were, as they say "having a laugh".

I have personally only ever seen USian online.

I can assure you they weren't. It wasn't that type of conversation and it wasn't that type of mailing list. It was a small'ish mailing list, and we were friends rather than just "strangers who happened to meet online".

I have personally also only ever seen USian online. I doubt it'll ever make it to the spoken language.

Just talked with my Danish son. ( Exchange student from last year.)  He said people from the US are Americans or Amerikaner.  From other countries are referred to by their country, ie Kanadier.  He said he might use Syd Amerikaner for someone from South America but that's about it.
Except for the last 4 words, I completely agree with him. People from the US may be referred to as "Amerikanere" (but just as often "People from the US"), and to hopefully please the Canadians around, we'd never refer to Canadians alone as "Amerikanere". That would only be when talking more generally about people from the Americas. We might also split it up in "North American" and "South American".

He actually made me doubt myself though, so I went to look it up. This is from Gads lille lexicon for any Danes playing along. I hope you'll trust me that I've translated correctly.

Amerika combining name for the landmasses of the western hemisphere. Consists of two continents, North and South America. The term is sometimes also used about the USA. [Snipping the history]
Amerikaner a person from Amerika.

So basically we use "Amerika" to mean both "the Americas" and "America".

And thus ends your Danish lesson for today, I'm sure you were all just dying to know that  ;) I'm sorry about the length.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 04:08:52 AM by MariaE »

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

StarFaerie

« Reply #143 on: April 12, 2013, 04:02:58 AM »

Sorry afbluebelle. :D Seriously though, when I was young my cousin and I used to dance to it. I listened to it recently (like 2 or so years ago) again, expecting that same song about a barbie doll. then the realization hit me. "No.... no. No! Nooooooooo!" My childhood was shattered.  ;)

4 words

Blister in the Sun

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2013, 09:14:51 AM »
Well, it's definitely much more common in Danish, but no - this has been when speaking (or typing) in English. My first introduction to USians was on a mailing list for L.M. Montgomery where a large part of the members were from Canada. You're right that they didn't want to be mistaken for people from the US, but the general consensus there, at the time, was that Americans was an expected way of referring to people living on the land masses between the Atlantic and the Pacific.

I actually haven't yet met any Canadians who spoke Danish.

I can only imagine they were pulling your leg because being Canadian, lived there most of my life there, met other Canadians while traveling around the world - I've never met a Canadian who called themselves American, except one instance where they were being deliberately messing with an American. I suspect they were, as they say "having a laugh".

I have personally only ever seen USian online.

I can assure you they weren't. It wasn't that type of conversation and it wasn't that type of mailing list. It was a small'ish mailing list, and we were friends rather than just "strangers who happened to meet online".

Then you must have run into that tiny subspecies, Canadians Who Don't Mind Being Called Americans. Or, they really were pulling your leg.

Because, as someone who has a signed photograph of L.M. Montgomery on the wall, and has been born and raised in Canada, I have never met a single Canadian who would not immediately correct someone who called them an American. It's just not done here. Really, it's not. At most, if you wanted to refer to the inhabitants of the continent, you would call them North Americans, but that's it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 09:16:33 AM by Twik »
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #145 on: April 12, 2013, 09:20:50 AM »
I completely accept that it may have been a tiny subsection :) Like I said earlier, it's nothing more than anecdata, so all I can say is that I know it of those Canadians. I'd never claim it went for Canadians as a whole :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2013, 03:18:47 PM »
There are seven people in my department and I've worked at my current job for just over four years. We're a pretty settled, staid group and no one would regard us as adventurous, exciting, or dramatic. However, among the seven of us over the past four years, the following have occurred:

- Two of us lost mothers and one lost a mother-in-law.
- Another person's father was diagnosed with cancer and doesn't have long to live.
- One person adopted a child.
- One person discovered that his child is transgender.
- Two children were diagnosed with disorders that require that they receive special care.
- One person got divorced.
- One person broke up with a long-term SO and had to deal with stalking behavior.
- One person was diagnosed with cancer (treated and now cancer-free - yay!)
- One person almost died from a condition that had no symptoms and caused a sudden, major problem.
- One person was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.
- A total of four cats and one dog died.
- A total of seven cats and two dogs were adopted.

For a rather boring group of people, we sound like a soap opera.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

CharlieBraun

« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2013, 03:35:38 PM »
We got a Dyson - on clearance! - at Target!

How have we survived before this?  I'm actually ENJOYING vacuuming!  Enjoying it!  We are picking up enough dog hair to create another entire pooch!

We are also getting new furniture delivered tomorrow so we can vacuum the bedroom AND have new furniture!  Cheaper than moving!
"We ate the pies."

Moonie

« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2013, 03:45:44 PM »
^^^^^^^
I love my Dyson :)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2013, 04:04:11 PM »
We got a Dyson - on clearance! - at Target!

How have we survived before this?  I'm actually ENJOYING vacuuming!  Enjoying it!  We are picking up enough dog hair to create another entire pooch!

We are also getting new furniture delivered tomorrow so we can vacuum the bedroom AND have new furniture!  Cheaper than moving!

My mother swore by Dyson.  I usually swear AT their prices.