Author Topic: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread  (Read 59693 times)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread
« Reply #150 on: April 12, 2013, 04:20:32 PM »
I have a Dyson Animal. I honestly don't think its all that great. My BFF had one too, she gave hers away. The other day DH's friend was over and saw it said "oh Dyson? Do you like it?" and then immediately answered himself with "we got one, I hate it, worst vacuum I've ever had." Consumer Reports never rates them very well either.

I don't get the hype. I mean I do think they are ok vacuums, but the cost makes them awful - they are equal to $85 vacuums (IME) but cost $400...

Whats to love? I want to love my Dyson, I just don't know how to.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #151 on: April 12, 2013, 05:40:25 PM »
Getting back to having a "Miscellaneous thread for things that don't deserve their own thread",  I question this.  Everyone who starts a thread probably believes it is deserving of being on the board for comments.  Personally, I want to know what the gist of the thread is going to be before I read it.  I don't want to have to guess if it is something I'm interested in reading about.

The reason I made this thread is, there have been many times where a thread has sidetracked, and the sidetrack is actually interesting, albeit to a small group of people.  Then, those people are asked to take it to its own thread, which is great... but it's kind of like the old adage of "why don't they offer up cable completely a la carte," with the answer being that although you may love the three-guys-named-Bill-playing-Parcheesi" channel, if it's not included with other channels it will have too few people interested in it.

So this is basically the equivalent of a cable package... all those sidetracks that are interesting to you, but you just know wouldn't go a whole page if it wasn't in with other topics (admittedly, this one subverted that.  :D)

On that note, a new topic, sort of a question but not really enough of a factual one to go in the "this might be a stupid question" thread:

Do [other] people really only eat basil as pesto?

With spring approaching (in the USA  ;D ) conversations, FB, etc are turning to talk of gardens and fresh produce etc. Basil gets mentioned. So I note how easy basil is to grow, and how it just keeps producing, etc. I mention with pride how bushy my basils are and how I have to harvest several leaves a week to keep them in check. And without fail, seriously every single conversation I have ever had and mentioned my basil plants, someone says "oh, well you should make pesto!" As if this is A) a terribly ingenious idea that would have never occurred to dumb ole me before and B) the way to use basil. (Once someone even said "basil? Nah I don't like pesto.")

I like pesto, and occasionally I do make it (and sometimes when I do, I use other fresh greens then basil! And other cheeses and other nuts! Oh the humanity!) But gee whiz folks, basil is also delicious in tomato dishes, or in eggs, or mixed into salad, or mixed into rice our couscous or quinoa, in Thai curry, its good raw, or cooked into dishes, whole leaves or large cuts or diced - there are so many ways to use basil other then just pureed with olive oil,  Parmigiano Reggiano and pine nuts!

Gish grows basil and uses it in all kinds of stuff. We still have some in the freezer from last years garden and took itout and took a big sniff of it last night ... heaven. I don't think he even knows it is used in pesto :)

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #152 on: April 12, 2013, 05:56:25 PM »
re: USians

On another forum where I am a member, we use the terms "USanian" and Canuckistani". All in a joking way, of course.

I'm sure it's innapropriate, but i am laughing my butt off. That is some funny stuff.

...to beat the USian thing just a little more ... i got into a conversation with another board member about that a long while ago, and it sorts out in my head like this: Calling Americans USians seems like poking fun, like calling Canada Canadia. Now, i have a friend affectioantely known as Canadian Pete, who will refer to "back home in Canadia," but i have also heard (seen) people here find it really unfunny. So ... i guess .... know your audience. It doesn't rile me as it once did, not really at all; but it used to, at least a little bit.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Betelnut

« Reply #153 on: April 12, 2013, 07:00:19 PM »
I guess I'm just really anal because to me, "USAians" (or however it is spelled) is just more precise than "American."  After all, "American" CAN refer to anyone in/from N/S/Central American, by definition.

I have given up on trying to avoid using "American" for my fellow citizens because USAians is just awkward and having to constantly say, "Someone from the USA" gets old too.  So I do use the term.  But internally I do kind of wince since I know that it is a broad term being used for a smaller subset.

Hey, that's just one of my quirks!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #154 on: April 12, 2013, 07:17:05 PM »
Getting back to having a "Miscellaneous thread for things that don't deserve their own thread",  I question this.  Everyone who starts a thread probably believes it is deserving of being on the board for comments.  Personally, I want to know what the gist of the thread is going to be before I read it.  I don't want to have to guess if it is something I'm interested in reading about.

The reason I made this thread is, there have been many times where a thread has sidetracked, and the sidetrack is actually interesting, albeit to a small group of people.  Then, those people are asked to take it to its own thread, which is great... but it's kind of like the old adage of "why don't they offer up cable completely a la carte," with the answer being that although you may love the three-guys-named-Bill-playing-Parcheesi" channel, if it's not included with other channels it will have too few people interested in it.

So this is basically the equivalent of a cable package... all those sidetracks that are interesting to you, but you just know wouldn't go a whole page if it wasn't in with other topics (admittedly, this one subverted that.  :D)

On that note, a new topic, sort of a question but not really enough of a factual one to go in the "this might be a stupid question" thread:

Do [other] people really only eat basil as pesto?

With spring approaching (in the USA  ;D ) conversations, FB, etc are turning to talk of gardens and fresh produce etc. Basil gets mentioned. So I note how easy basil is to grow, and how it just keeps producing, etc. I mention with pride how bushy my basils are and how I have to harvest several leaves a week to keep them in check. And without fail, seriously every single conversation I have ever had and mentioned my basil plants, someone says "oh, well you should make pesto!" As if this is A) a terribly ingenious idea that would have never occurred to dumb ole me before and B) the way to use basil. (Once someone even said "basil? Nah I don't like pesto.")

I like pesto, and occasionally I do make it (and sometimes when I do, I use other fresh greens then basil! And other cheeses and other nuts! Oh the humanity!) But gee whiz folks, basil is also delicious in tomato dishes, or in eggs, or mixed into salad, or mixed into rice our couscous or quinoa, in Thai curry, its good raw, or cooked into dishes, whole leaves or large cuts or diced - there are so many ways to use basil other then just pureed with olive oil,  Parmigiano Reggiano and pine nuts!

Gish grows basil and uses it in all kinds of stuff. We still have some in the freezer from last years garden and took itout and took a big sniff of it last night ... heaven. I don't think he even knows it is used in pesto :)

The kids helped me plant our little basil plant today. I can't wait! I'm also growing tomatoes, so I'm looking forward to another "Summer of Caprese Salad"
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #155 on: April 12, 2013, 07:40:45 PM »
I guess I'm just really anal because to me, "USAians" (or however it is spelled) is just more precise than "American."  After all, "American" CAN refer to anyone in/from N/S/Central American, by definition.

I have given up on trying to avoid using "American" for my fellow citizens because USAians is just awkward and having to constantly say, "Someone from the USA" gets old too.  So I do use the term.  But internally I do kind of wince since I know that it is a broad term being used for a smaller subset.

Thing is, I'v enever heard anyone from here OR abroad use "American" to mean of the Western Hemisphere in general.  North American, sure.  South American, definitely.  Of the Americas, yes. But not "American".

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #156 on: April 12, 2013, 09:17:20 PM »
I love Lucy series...I always wondered abou this....
Why was Ethyl always kind of the butt of chubbie jokes when she and Lucy appeared to be the same size, to me? 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Minmom3

« Reply #157 on: April 12, 2013, 09:28:23 PM »
So, I was listening to Pandora most of the day.  I was struck by how many of the songs had really strong innuendos and how I could have possibly missed that as some of the lyrics were quite sexually blatant.  Granted some I hadn't heard since I was a young teen..."My Sharona" comes to mind.  I seriously cannot believe I missed what that was about.

Anyone else do a double or triple take at the radio when you find yourself singing along and have an  epiphany on just what a song is actually about?

Heheheh.  Have you ever watched Rocky and Bullwinkle as an adult?  Holy Moly!!!   8)  It blew my mind how much had gone right over my fizzy little head as a child! 
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2013, 09:33:52 PM »
Why was Ethyl always kind of the butt of chubbie jokes when she and Lucy appeared to be the same size, to me?

I can't remember which, whether I either heard it on a TV program or I read it somewhere.  But the gist of it was that they actually were exactly the same size when the roles were assigned and as part of her contract, "Ethyl" had to agree to gain weight and always be at least ten pounds heavier than "Lucy".  (I presume that did not apply during Lucy's pregnancy.)

CharlieBraun

« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2013, 11:56:40 PM »

And why was Ethel married to a guy that much older?  Even the actress who played Ethel felt squishy about it.
"We ate the pies."

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2013, 12:17:22 AM »
Interesting debate about what we call ourselves.  I live in New Zealand and the official term is New Zealander.  Which is a bit of a mouthful.  Some people have started calling themselves an Nzedder, which sounds very harsh to the ears.  Most people understand where you come from if say "kiwi" but as those little hairy berries spread through out the world, i can see people will become confused.  Maori have some difficulty because there are also Cook Island Maori, and they don't prefix there identity with Cook Island as they think of themselves as just Maori.  Aotearoans can be used but again you have to spend ages explaining what that means.  One thing we never ever ever ever are is australian.  That is fighting talk.

My daughter the travel agent tells me that when people want to book to go go the America the first question is "which country do you want to go to". Often the answer is not the USA.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2013, 01:09:52 PM »
So, I was listening to Pandora most of the day.  I was struck by how many of the songs had really strong innuendos and how I could have possibly missed that as some of the lyrics were quite sexually blatant.  Granted some I hadn't heard since I was a young teen..."My Sharona" comes to mind.  I seriously cannot believe I missed what that was about.

Anyone else do a double or triple take at the radio when you find yourself singing along and have an  epiphany on just what a song is actually about?

Heheheh.  Have you ever watched Rocky and Bullwinkle as an adult?  Holy Moly!!!   8)  It blew my
mind how much had gone right over my fizzy little head as a child!

I remember a classic example of this.  Nell was being forced into marrying Snidely Whiplash. 

Inspector Fenwick said, 'I'll hate calling you 'son' but, if I can add a few more words, it should be all
right'. 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2013, 01:26:29 PM »

There's an apocryphal story that Vivian Vance (who played Ethel) was contractually obliged to maintain a certain weight so as not to compete in attractiveness with Lucille Ball. 

There was probably no clause in Vance's contract like that but, if you know the style of dress at the time, Ethel's hair and clothes were always designed to make her look older and dowdier  than Lucy's.

Yes, the women do appear to be about the same size but an early 1950s cinch belt can do wonders for the figure.   

Betelnut

« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2013, 03:29:35 PM »

Thing is, I'v enever heard anyone from here OR abroad use "American" to mean of the Western Hemisphere in general.  North American, sure.  South American, definitely.  Of the Americas, yes. But not "American".

I suppose.  A pet peeve doesn't really need to make sense though.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2013, 04:20:14 PM »
I've never referred to myself as an "American", I'm a New Yorker - everywhere I've ever traveled to (England, the Netherlands, Japan, Ireland, Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico, other states in the USA, etc, everyone knew what I meant when I said "New York". And if someone called me "American" I would clarify (not correct necessarily, but definitely clarify) "actually a New Yorker" because honestly while me and a person from California, or Oregon, or Iowa might all be from the same official country, we are from vastly different places and cultures.

However, it should be noted that very few states or cities have the kind of fervor that New York does.  I think you can just about wrap up that list with Texas and California.  I would never introduce myself as "a Pennsylvanian" because, honestly, living in Pennsylvania isn't that different from living in Florida.  I know, as I lived there for three months.  Other than climate and food/drinks, there's not much different.

Add Idaho to the list.  People around here are very proud to be Idahoans.  Although that might just be the south-east section, where there is a strong undercurrent of, "Heck no, we are not Utahns!"  (Sorry, Utah.)

You would say you're an Idahoan instead of an American?

I find most Americans say they are from a State instead of from a Nation when I am traveling.  Canadians do do that.  We say we were from Canada.  We don't say we are Albertan, Manitoban... only in our own country when someone asks where we are from and people either answer Province or City.

I agree, I say Canadian, and not the province I'm from.  I'd never expect people even in other English-speaking countries (albeit French being Canada's other official language) to know the names of all Canadian provinces, or even major cities.

I'd never assume that anyone asking "are you American" means "are you from North America"?  IME the person always means "are you from the USA"?  However, Canadians making travel plans generally don't say that they're "going to America".    They either say "the States", or the particular state or city.