Author Topic: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread  (Read 55994 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread
« Reply #225 on: April 26, 2013, 12:08:37 PM »
I think that's gorgeous and a great idea to put it together yourself so it won't sit around unused.  :)  And if it's in the budget, perhaps a little gift card too.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MerryCat

« Reply #226 on: April 26, 2013, 12:44:39 PM »
One of my friends married a Canadian (they live in NYC) and her father in law hates "Americans."  I've been attempting to find out ever since if this attitude is commonplace.

It's not uncommon that Canadians complain a lot about Americans. There are certain things in the relationship between the two countries that Canadians feel are not always equitable, and there a certain disparity in national temperment as well (think an extroverted sibling versus an introverted one, and how they interact). However, I hope that for most people it doesn't amount to "hate," more "eyerolling and grumbling now and then".

I don't think Canadians are allowed to hate. :-)

We're allowed to hate some things, like pot holes, traffic, weather, the way that the people in X city drive (where X is any city of your choice), and That Guy Who is Running The Local Sports Team Into The Ground. I think there's an official list somewhere...

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #227 on: April 26, 2013, 01:22:22 PM »
I think that's gorgeous and a great idea to put it together yourself so it won't sit around unused.  :)  And if it's in the budget, perhaps a little gift card too.

Thank you! We always do a card for everything. Hallmark loves us!  ;D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #228 on: April 26, 2013, 06:41:37 PM »
I'm kind of chuckling about something random, sorta. 

Okay for the last few months my bf has gone back and forth as to whether she'd like a haircut like Molly Weasley's or Tonks because she just liked their hairstyles.  Well she ended up getting one like Molly's.  Not that she asked for it to look that way, just that she got a new hairstyle and since she has natural curl and red hair, it ended up being very similar. 

Well I decided I could really use a professional cut (I've been cheap and done it myself recently but want it nice for the baptism and vacation) and decided that since she didn't go for the Tonks look and I do have straight hair, I'd go for the look and will bring in a picture as an example of what I really like.

And in looking for pictures I came across Harry Potter Wiki and sure enough found out that according to their dates, the age difference between Molly and Tonks is about the same as my friend and myself. 

(No, I'm not going for the color of Tonks's hair, just the style, though man, the $ I could save if I could magically change my hair color!)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Corvid

• Etiquette Hell Thread Assassin Squad
« Reply #229 on: April 27, 2013, 10:31:58 AM »
One of my friends married a Canadian (they live in NYC) and her father in law hates "Americans."  I've been attempting to find out ever since if this attitude is commonplace.

It's not uncommon that Canadians complain a lot about Americans. There are certain things in the relationship between the two countries that Canadians feel are not always equitable, and there a certain disparity in national temperment as well (think an extroverted sibling versus an introverted one, and how they interact). However, I hope that for most people it doesn't amount to "hate," more "eyerolling and grumbling now and then".

They are, but they're required to be polite about it.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #230 on: April 27, 2013, 10:36:52 AM »

They are, but they're required to be polite about it.

;D

Pen^2

« Reply #231 on: April 29, 2013, 05:48:54 AM »
Erm, I have a question for anyone who can help:

Tomorrow I'm moving into a place with wood and tiled floors, no stairs or anything. All flat and smooth. Normally I'd use a dust mop, like at our last place, but part of me wants to go crazy and get a Roomba. Do they get the job done for just normal daily dust and hair and stuff? We're two people on a high floor with no pets. I've heard some people say they have to vacuum after their roomba, which kind of defeats the purpose a bit. Does anyone know if it's worth splurging?

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #232 on: April 29, 2013, 05:53:20 AM »

Tomorrow I'm moving into a place with wood and tiled floors, no stairs or anything. All flat and smooth. Normally I'd use a dust mop, like at our last place, but part of me wants to go crazy and get a Roomba. Do they get the job done for just normal daily dust and hair and stuff? We're two people on a high floor with no pets. I've heard some people say they have to vacuum after their roomba, which kind of defeats the purpose a bit. Does anyone know if it's worth splurging?

I have a Roomba and love it :) It cannot take the place of a thorough deep-cleaning, but for everyday stuff it's great. It's not as thorough as a manual vacuuming, but considering that I run the Roomba a lot more often than I ever vacuumed, I'd say I'm still getting a good deal ;)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #233 on: April 29, 2013, 05:37:55 PM »

You might find this thread helpful (an entire thread, all by itself -- 5 pages dedicated to the roomba  ;D)

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=126668.0

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
« Reply #234 on: May 06, 2013, 07:39:23 AM »
I was at a dinner party the other night & there was an abundant spread of food on the table.  There was also a small pizza, which the hostess said was gluten free and for the two gluten free guests attending (they had other options too).  One of the non gluten free guests started eating the gf pizza. 

The hostess politely said "Oh, that pizza is for the gf diners"
"That's okay" said non gf guest "I can eat it" and took another slice

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #235 on: May 06, 2013, 09:39:21 AM »
^^
I think that is a risk you take when you provide specific food for specific guests. You've got to assume it is going to look attractive to others and plan accordingly. But the guest should have realized the hostess was requesting her to not eat it.

Was there a similar non-GF pizza offered?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #236 on: May 06, 2013, 10:08:23 AM »
Last week I read this Miss Manners about a preschool teacher wanting to ask parents for $8 to make a Mother's Day gift. 
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/miss-manners-cousins-journey-abroad-makes-for-a-long-night/2013/04/16/b3dfc2aa-a386-11e2-be47-b44febada3a8_story.html

Any school made gift I made or received was out of existing construction paper or other school supplies. Is there a new trend starting or is this preschool teacher over reaching in her expectations?

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #237 on: May 06, 2013, 10:13:05 AM »
When we are serving, I have to keep all of the allergy-free food in a separate place and tell the diners where it is. I still have people, who have been coming here for 40 years, insist on looking over the reserved food. "Weird Uncle, please do not take food from the top of the dishwasher until the Allergy family has been served." Twice a year, for 40 years! And it's almost the same food as the other side of the room! A different kind of turkey ($$) and hard to get, plain potatoes and other vegies instead of buttered, no gravy, just broth from the special turkey.  And similar special stuff for the summer gettogether.

Every visit! G-r-r-r-r. I think dementia might be setting in, but that doesn't excuse the 35 years before that.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #238 on: May 06, 2013, 10:33:56 AM »
When we are serving, I have to keep all of the allergy-free food in a separate place and tell the diners where it is. I still have people, who have been coming here for 40 years, insist on looking over the reserved food. "Weird Uncle, please do not take food from the top of the dishwasher until the Allergy family has been served." Twice a year, for 40 years! And it's almost the same food as the other side of the room! A different kind of turkey ($$) and hard to get, plain potatoes and other vegies instead of buttered, no gravy, just broth from the special turkey.  And similar special stuff for the summer gettogether.

Every visit! G-r-r-r-r. I think dementia might be setting in, but that doesn't excuse the 35 years before that.

There is a mindset, in some people, that "the grass is always greener" - in plainer language, the "reserved" food must be BETTER than the rest of the food, somehow, and it is being set aside for OTHER people, not you.  Therefore, you deserve a "taste" of it so that you know that you are special and loved, too.

Even if it is kosher for Passover, gluten free, peanut free, pepper free, and flax seed free for a relative with allergies and it is the time for that religious observance.  And if Weird Relative is really a pain in the asterisk, they will serve it with a spoon that has been dipped into some other dish that will contaminate it....fortunately, that was NOT a member of my family (and the restricted diet was a lot less strict than the hypothetical example).

Because a Weird Uncle (Aunt or cousin) never ages past four when it comes  wanting to get just a "taste" of EVERYTHING in the kitchen - I swear I've hear a story that one person of that ilk was found dipping a spoon into the bacon fat Grandma had on the stove, just to see what it was and get a "taste".  (And that container was only "tasted" the one time, according to the storyteller.)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:37:43 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #239 on: May 06, 2013, 10:45:03 AM »
Last week I read this Miss Manners about a preschool teacher wanting to ask parents for $8 to make a Mother's Day gift. 
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/miss-manners-cousins-journey-abroad-makes-for-a-long-night/2013/04/16/b3dfc2aa-a386-11e2-be47-b44febada3a8_story.html

Any school made gift I made or received was out of existing construction paper or other school supplies. Is there a new trend starting or is this preschool teacher over reaching in her expectations?

As a young mother, I would be livid. We still sometimes avoid, for example, a certain meal because it is $8 more than another one that we like almost as well, or return an $8 item to the store when it is flawed instead of just throwing it away.

That seems like a lot of money. I haven't done the research, but I do remember we had to pay $2.50 for a special project in the late '70s, and that was kind of hard at the time. I was angry, but didn't want to embarrass the kid, and it did make a little difference in our lives that week.