Author Topic: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread  (Read 53061 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread
« Reply #405 on: July 08, 2013, 04:41:41 PM »
I was reading the thread about swimming lessons for kids and realized that while I really want to start my daughter (11 months old) learning to swim as soon as possible, the local wellness center's youngest swim lesson class is three years old.  While I intend to get her into lessons when she's old enough, I was thinking I could start teaching her some very basic stuff next year on my own.  Has anyone here done something like that with a toddler?  Can you give me some tips?
The best thing you can do at this age is make sure she is comfortable in the water.

Set the rules now. When Loren and Brett were that age the life jacket (really US Coast Guard approved life Jacket) was just part of the swim suit. You were going swimming you put on the suit then the jacket.

We never "taught" them to swim at a young age . We played in the water with them, they watched us and copied us. They blew bubbles because it was funny. They figured out how to dog paddle, dive for toys, swim under water.

They were completely comfortable in the water, underwater when they started formal lessons at 3. The pool was fun and safe place. The place loren took rearranged the teachers and kids because most of the 3 or 4 yo were afraid to put their faces in the water. Loren and a couple of kids were bugging the teachers to dive for rings, and actually swim so they made an advance class and put them in it. (Each teacher only had 3 kids but there were 5 teachers working with 3 and 4 yo during that time slot)

Now they are 8 and 5 - both fish. 
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #406 on: July 08, 2013, 04:51:18 PM »
I was reading the thread about swimming lessons for kids and realized that while I really want to start my daughter (11 months old) learning to swim as soon as possible, the local wellness center's youngest swim lesson class is three years old.  While I intend to get her into lessons when she's old enough, I was thinking I could start teaching her some very basic stuff next year on my own.  Has anyone here done something like that with a toddler?  Can you give me some tips?

I think it depends on your goal. We had my DD in the water at around  8 months (Sept bday, had to wait till summer) and my son at about 5 months (Feb bday). Our goal was to give them a chance to become accustomed to the water and just have fun. I wasn't trying to "pool proof" them as we didn't have a pool.

We had something very similar to this that my DD loved.
http://www.yoyo.com/p/swimways-baby-spring-float-16590?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_Y&utm_term=ZW-003&utm_campaign=Google&CAWELAID=1324487116&utm_content=pla&ci_sku=ZW-003&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}
The also liked having their hands held and pulled through the water face down but out of the water. DD and DS also both liked being tossed from one of us to the other and didn't mind going under a little bit.

cwm

« Reply #407 on: July 08, 2013, 08:02:40 PM »
Okay, I don't know where else to put this, but I just got the poopaditties scared out of me!

See, I live in a second floor apartment. The front door is NEAR my bedroom window, but not AT it. And I definitely heard something scratching AT my bedroom window.

I pulled back my blinds, and there was this squirrel, holding on to the corner of the frame of the window, giving me the most incredulous look, like how dare I invade his personal time and space. I even knocked on the window to get him to move along his way and stop that scratching sound, and he just kept staring at me and slowly made his way across the top of the window frame.

Seriously, squirrel, what was SO fantastic about my window that you had to come DOWN from the tree to crawl across it to get back UP to the roof instead of just climb across the roof?

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #408 on: July 08, 2013, 09:15:36 PM »
Oh, good.  DH and I have been taking DD to the pool from time to time, and doing pretty much what's been recommended here, so I'm happy to see we're on the right track!  For now I think I'll just keep doing that, and see how things go.  The wellness center is the only place in town that has a pool (small town), so I don't think I'm likely to find alternatives, but I want to give her as much of an advantage as I can until she can take the actual lessons.  Thanks, everyone!
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Elisabunny

« Reply #409 on: July 08, 2013, 11:08:30 PM »
Why not ask them if they ever offer parent & baby classes?  Most places do, because parents want the same thing you do.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

dawnfire

« Reply #410 on: July 09, 2013, 01:04:51 AM »
Why not ask them if they ever offer parent & baby classes?  Most places do, because parents want the same thing you do.

if they get enough inquiries they might consider it

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #411 on: July 09, 2013, 11:17:59 AM »

...I didn't even think of asking.  I just looked up the list of classes online, saw the youngest group was 3-4 years, and didn't think anything further about it.  I'll give them a call later today and see what I can find out!  Thanks for the idea.  :)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

carol1412

« Reply #412 on: July 09, 2013, 03:44:50 PM »
I was thinking about taking a beginner sewing class at Joann's.  Has anyone taken any of their classes?  Was is worth it?

I'd really like to learn to sew on a machine.  Right now, I can do very basic repairs by hand (buttons, ripped out seams, hemming pants).  Sometimes I find it difficult to learn applied skills from a book due to being dyslexic.  I really need to watch, then do a few times to really "get" it.

I do know a very competent person that could teach me, but I know from experience that their teaching style clashes with my learning style.  We both end up getting aggravated.

I've never been to a class at Joann's but they are a reputable store and I have heard good things about the classes . . . many years ago a couple of friends of mine went to the classes together. They had a great time. One is still a simple sewer (skirts and easy patterns once in a while) the other friend's machine is a dust collector.

The worth of the classes is up to you . . . ask them before signing up how many people will be in the class (teacher/student ratio), explain that you are a visual learner and would the teachers be able to accommodate this type of instruction.

Turned out to be a moot point.  The closest place to receive beginner classes is 50 miles away.  I'm not willing to travel that far.  I've had pretty good results with youtube tutorials, so that's where I'll start.  It's how I finally learned to knit after much head banging.

If you have a Jo-Anns closer to you, ask them if they can recommend anyone for personal sewing lessons. They usually have a list of people that do alterations or quilting. Maybe one of them would be interested in giving personal classes.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #413 on: July 09, 2013, 06:26:31 PM »
I was thinking about taking a beginner sewing class at Joann's.  Has anyone taken any of their classes?  Was is worth it?

I'd really like to learn to sew on a machine.  Right now, I can do very basic repairs by hand (buttons, ripped out seams, hemming pants).  Sometimes I find it difficult to learn applied skills from a book due to being dyslexic.  I really need to watch, then do a few times to really "get" it.

I do know a very competent person that could teach me, but I know from experience that their teaching style clashes with my learning style.  We both end up getting aggravated.

I've never been to a class at Joann's but they are a reputable store and I have heard good things about the classes . . . many years ago a couple of friends of mine went to the classes together. They had a great time. One is still a simple sewer (skirts and easy patterns once in a while) the other friend's machine is a dust collector.

The worth of the classes is up to you . . . ask them before signing up how many people will be in the class (teacher/student ratio), explain that you are a visual learner and would the teachers be able to accommodate this type of instruction.

Turned out to be a moot point.  The closest place to receive beginner classes is 50 miles away.  I'm not willing to travel that far.  I've had pretty good results with youtube tutorials, so that's where I'll start.  It's how I finally learned to knit after much head banging.

If you have a Jo-Anns closer to you, ask them if they can recommend anyone for personal sewing lessons. They usually have a list of people that do alterations or quilting. Maybe one of them would be interested in giving personal classes.

I actually found someone who is willing to give lessons, yeah! Also, she told me there is a very nice privately owned fabric and craft store like 1/2 mile from my home that has project classes available (purses,dresses, beginner quilting, etc). So HA! Joann's.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #414 on: July 17, 2013, 09:07:34 PM »
Amusing story about one of my dearest friends that is just really unobservant...

We were doing some kind of project and some discovery type show was on in the background.  My friend ,Kate, comments something along the lines of it would be really interesting to see that exhibit they are talking about, it's a shame I'll never see it.

I was really confused by her comment as the exhibit in question was at our local museum that is probably less than a mile from my home.  Kate thought I had lost my marbles because she's never seen a museum here...the one she has driven by twice a day, everyday for the last ten years.

So, I shuffled her off to my car and drove her butt over to the non existant museum and we had a grand time.  I still laugh about it because I don't know how anyone could miss the huge bacon-fed knave sign for it.  The extra funny part was that I had almost the exact conversation with my DH and my mother over the same exhibit a few days later. Both responded "There's a museum here?  I've never seen it".  <sigh>
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #415 on: July 18, 2013, 09:29:27 PM »
Dazi - your story reminds me of a trip I took with my ex some years ago.

We were both on motorcycles, and one evening stopped at a town called Glen Innes in NSW.  This town is in an area known as the Granite Belt, and is well known for the large and numerous rocks around town.

Well, we made our booking for a cabin at the local caravan park, and slowly followed the manager to the unit - she walking, us riding slowly behind her.

As we got closer, I noticed a Rock.  Yes, it deserves a capital letter - it was about three times larger than the cabin, and right.next.to.it.  So I called out to Ex, "Watch out for the rock!"  She replied "What rock?"   ???

For sometime afterwards, 'What rock?' became a by-word for the flagrantly obvious.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #416 on: July 29, 2013, 10:49:25 PM »
Grrrrrr!
We went big shopping today and among our purchases were three bunches of broccolini (on sale...I couldn't believe it!).
When we got into the car I noticed they had only charged us for two bunches.  So, back into the store we went to pay for the extra one.  The clerk said that he would just give it to us since we are such good customers.   :)  We thanked him and went back out to the car, which we had locked.  There, dangling in the ignition were our keys.   >:(  Do we have an extra?  No!  Darn.  a guy getting out of his car next to us noticed us standing there and saw our keys in the ignition.  He said, "I see your keys are safely locked inside your car.   >:D"  Very funny! 
Luckily, my son was home and was able to bring out our extra set.    :P  But who feels like making Stir fry after that.  Not us.  Wish the Chinese restaurant were open so we could go out to dinner.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #417 on: July 31, 2013, 01:12:03 PM »
I like a little carbs with breakfast but don't care to use much in the way of wheat products, like bread.  So, this morning I took a half cup of no salt added canned great northern beans that I had in the fridge, drained and rinsed them then put a little oil in the skillet and sauteed them up with some garlic powder and paprika.  Really good addition to breakfast!
If anyone else does creative things with foods it would be fun to hear.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Redwing

« Reply #418 on: July 31, 2013, 02:12:24 PM »
I hope this is the right place for this question. 

I've been wanting to take horseback riding lessons, but know absolutely nothing about what they should cost and what the lessons should consist of.  I know E-hell has horse lovers out there and am hoping someone can help me out.  If it's pertinent, I live about 40 miles northwest of Chicago.  I have no experience whatsoever.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #419 on: August 05, 2013, 07:40:17 PM »
DH and I have been watching Star Trek Voyager recently and when the actress who played Captain Janeway seemed very familiar (I'd been watching "Orange is the New Black") I looked up the actress on IMDB and found out she was from Dubuque, Iowa. 

It kinda made me chuckle since Captain Kirk was from Iowa as well.  (the character, I don't know about William Shatner, himself)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata