Author Topic: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread  (Read 55804 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread
« Reply #435 on: August 09, 2013, 03:04:28 PM »
I definitely think it is a trend. I have a few friends with older teens that have no desire to learn to drive, even though there is a vehicle they would be allowed to learn on. I think it has a lot to do with the level of independence expected from the parents and the child.

My son (15) has already begun working, and it will be a relief for us to have him drive himself there and back next summer. He is currently completing the mandatory course for our state, so he can get his learner's permit next week. He will have 8 months of practice before getting his license.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #436 on: August 09, 2013, 03:05:10 PM »
My nephews dragged their feet a little but they did have licenses before they turned 18.  For them, a lot of their friends had cars, a lot of stuff was within walking distance and their parents would shuttle them, too.

For me, I was 19 when I got mine.  I skipped a grade so all my friends were a year older than me and all got their licenses right at 16.  Plus, I had an older brother to help with the shuttling.  I did have my learner's permit when I was 17.  We were heading out of town to take me to my summer job about 5 hours away.  My Dad offered me the keys.  For some unknown reason, I declined.  Considering I always jumped at the chance to drive, it was kind of weird.  30 minutes up the undivided highway, the right front tire blew.  If I'd been driving, I'm not sure I'd be sitting here typing this post.  Scared me a bit.  So it was a couple of years before I got my learner's permit again.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #437 on: August 09, 2013, 03:12:53 PM »
When someone you have not seen or been in contact with for years suddenly messages you because they have a wonderful new opportunity they think you should be involved in! This is the message I received today from a spouse of a friend who DH and I have not seen in at least 5 years, oh and they live 30 minutes away so it is not distance related. Only the name was changed.

Hey girlee,I just started doing my very own business with Slumber parties now- selling lotions, potions, pj's & toys- I'm Reaching out to all of my friends to have a party the month of Sept, I am able to give a 35% discount to anyone that has a party. Will you help me get started by hosting 1 for me? 😊 - xoxo (name) p.s you will also get to do some FREE shopping too 😉

I wonder if I should reply at all or just ignore it.

I vote ignore.  Then rip out their Rolodex card and destroy.   ;)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #438 on: August 09, 2013, 03:41:02 PM »
I think it really depends on the teen.   DH's cousin has ADD and DH's aunt told us he wasn't ready to get his license at 16.  She said kids with ADD/ADHD sometimes mature slower than most kids.  I didn't feel ready to get my license at 16 but I got it shortly before I turned 17.

DH and I told our boys that just turning 16 doesn't mean they'll automatically get their license.  They have to show us they're mature enough for us to feel comfortable letting them operate a vehicle.

As for my own ponderings, I'm starting to wonder if I need to break down and let my youngest get his first haircut.  It is getting long and curly in the back,  and I've had a few people say "He is so cute! It is a boy, right?" 

On the other hand, I love his curls and think they're darling and am having a hard time with the thought of them getting chopped off and find myself thinking "Why do I care what others think?"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #439 on: August 09, 2013, 04:11:34 PM »
Might have been my high school graduate.

His dad taught at his high school - so he got driven to school or could ride the bus.  There were two accidents with him in the car with his dad driving....he got a little "spooked" at the idea of trying to learn to drive with that many cars to keep track of.  There are times of day when traffic is light - but 1 to 5 am is not the best time to learn to drive.....

We live in the Houston, Texas area.  There are scarier places to learn to drive - but we live right off one of the highways (three lanes each direction with left turn lanes at various points between lights as well as at them and a lot of right turn lanes complicating every intersection with a light). that almost makes a circle around the metropolitan area - so heavy traffic during rush hour, drivers concentrating more on getting to work than they are on driving either safely or politely, and big trucks - delivery vans and semis (tractor trailer rigs) are frequently taking our "outer loop" as a required bypass to some of the interstate highways that go through the more densely populated areas.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 04:17:02 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #440 on: August 09, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
A random question for parents of teenagers.  In another thread someone posted a question about their teen and a side comment was that the young man (I think he was 18) had no desire to get a driver's license.  A friend's niece just graduated from high school and also has refused to get a driver's license, which is a big issue since her mother cannot continue to drive her around (they live in an area with very poor mass transit).

This surprised me because eons ago when I was a teen, we got our licenses the day we turned 16 (in the US) and felt sorry for anyone whose birthday was on the weekend and they had to wait until Monday - we saw it as a gateway to independence and it was a big deal.

Anyway, I'm just curious about whether this is a trend, and if so why do you think it's happening?  Maybe a rural/urban divide?

My eldest son is not terribly motivated to get his license, while the younger one is. It's personalities, really.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #441 on: August 09, 2013, 05:16:50 PM »
I hope this is the right place for this question. 

I've been wanting to take horseback riding lessons, but know absolutely nothing about what they should cost and what the lessons should consist of.  I know E-hell has horse lovers out there and am hoping someone can help me out.  If it's pertinent, I live about 40 miles northwest of Chicago.  I have no experience whatsoever.

I'll try to tackle the second part of your question. I worked for a riding school for several years. There's going to be some variation in what different schools teach, so I'll give you what we (the Traditional Equitation School at the Los Angeles Equestrian Center) did.

Your first lesson is the "tack class," which is what I taught. It's all about safety and horse care. Some of the topics:
  • How to enter a stall safely
  • "This end bites, that end kicks. If either happens, it's your fault."
  • How to halter and lead a horse
  • Tying your horse safely to the rail
  • Basic grooming (comb and brush)
  • Cleaning hooves, including how to get a horse to pick up their hoof
  • Putting a saddle on and adjusting the stirrup length and making sure the girth is tight
  • Putting a bridle (with a bit, not just a hackamore) on
  • Giving a horse a treat without getting your fingers crunched
My personal opinion is that if a school doesn't teach you to groom and tack your own horse, it's not a good school.

Lessons were either private, semi-private or group. Not a lot different in content, but the focus is different. In a private lesson, the teacher can be very focussed on you, so you don't always have time to stop and think about things. In a group lesson, you have the chance to observe other people as they do things. Each has advantages and disadvantages. When I rode, I always had a mix of lesson types.

Your early lessons will include how to mount your horse, how to sit, getting moving and stopping. From there you'll work in the ring learning more aspects of riding, such as posting (if riding English.) How to hold the reins properly to control your horse. Turning. Going from a walk to a trot to a canter and back. Once you have the basics, then you can start in on special aspects of whatever style you want. Jumping or Dressage, for instance.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #442 on: August 09, 2013, 06:06:59 PM »
Not sure where this would go, but billboard misspellings.

The local doc in a box had one expressing their sympathy to the "family's" in Oklahoma.

Last night on my way home, the mall was inventing me in to update my "wardbrode"

And one more, which was obviously intentional and probably part of an ad campaign that was paid for.  I don't remember if it was a technical school, or community college, but the billboard urged passers-by to consider ("hire")* education.   Well, at least o. That one they did catch my Attention....

*in my memory at least, they had hire in quotes on the billboard.

In our small South Georgia town, there is a sign right off the interstate that says "You've just past (Restaurant/Hotel/Gas Station Names)". As if those travelling through need any more ammunition on the intelligence level of Southerners. ;) The billboard looks like it's been there for quite a while too, at least two years.

There's an office at my university called "Materiel Management." Apparently "materiel" is spelled correctly and refers to the supplies and equipment used by an organization. Still every time I see it on a vehicle, presentation, or website, I cringe.

GreenHall

« Reply #443 on: August 09, 2013, 09:46:37 PM »

A random question for parents of teenagers.  In another thread someone posted a question about their teen and a side comment was that the young man (I think he was 18) had no desire to get a driver's license.  A friend's niece just graduated from high school and also has refused to get a driver's license, which is a big issue since her mother cannot continue to drive her around (they live in an area with very poor mass transit).

This surprised me because eons ago when I was a teen, we got our licenses the day we turned 16 (in the US) and felt sorry for anyone whose birthday was on the weekend and they had to wait until Monday - we saw it as a gateway to independence and it was a big deal.

Anyway, I'm just curious about whether this is a trend, and if so why do you think it's happening?  Maybe a rural/urban divide?

I was a late driver.  In hindsight, the anxiety I know about now, is likely why driving then (and, honestly, now) was not the be all, end all of my 16 th year.  I knew there were SS's out there, and didn't trust others driving, AND, I didn't want to be the cause of property/body damage to others if I made a mistake.  I will still turn down requests for me to drive another's child, just because of the anxiety being responsible for them on the road causes. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #444 on: August 13, 2013, 02:11:17 PM »

I was a late driver.  In hindsight, the anxiety I know about now, is likely why driving then (and, honestly, now) was not the be all, end all of my 16 th year.  I knew there were SS's out there, and didn't trust others driving, AND, I didn't want to be the cause of property/body damage to others if I made a mistake.  I will still turn down requests for me to drive another's child, just because of the anxiety being responsible for them on the road causes.
My DD got her DL on her 16th bday.
My DS got his a few months after his 16th bday which was the first appointment we could get that didn't conflict with school or other activities.

But what I've found odd with them is they don't "demand" to drive. I remember by the time I got my learners permit, I pretty much always drove if it was just my mom and me in the car and even lots of time if it was my Dad and me.

But if we are going somewhere I'll ask my kids if they want to drive and they'll usually refuse. I think DD refuses because she doesn't like driving my larger car and doesn't want to use up her gas. For DS, I think it's just his inherent laziness. ;)

SlitherHiss

« Reply #445 on: August 13, 2013, 02:28:03 PM »
I couldn't wait to get my license. It meant freedom. My kids (DS13, DD8) aren't there yet, but my niece? She has been dragging her feet for almost 2 years now, and I don't think she'll go get one until after she's 18 and out of the house. In her case, her mother has a tendancy to overschedule her (and her brother) like crazy, and it's an unspoken understanding that once niece gets her license, she'll be roped into even more activities/clubs/service projects as well as playing chauffer for her little brother. For her, a license wouldn't mean freedom, just extra responsibilities and even less downtime.

I see that sort of thing brewing among the parents of other kids in DS13's class. Gotta be better! Gotta be the best! Gotta do ALL THE ACTIVITIES! It makes me think that some of these kids are rocketing towards burnout, and it won't suprise me in the least if they delay taking on even more responsibility.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #446 on: August 13, 2013, 02:31:19 PM »
I got my learner's permit the day after I turned 15. Mom promptly handed me the keys and told me I was doing all the driving from then on (with her and/or Dad, of course). After that, I was the family chauffeur. Got my DL on my 16th birthday, and drove myself to school the next day.

I couldn't wait to drive, and I don't think my parents could wait for me to drive, either!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

magicdomino

« Reply #447 on: August 13, 2013, 03:34:44 PM »
I got my drivers license at 19.  I didn't have a car, and my mother informed me that she couldn't afford to risk me wrecking the only car we had.  So, why bother learning?  Mother changed her mind when I started going to community college.  Taking the bus would have involved a long walk, two transfers and a couple of hours for a 20 minute drive.  Chauffering me every day got old.  So, I finally got to borrow the car when she didn't need it.

magicdomino

« Reply #448 on: August 13, 2013, 03:36:36 PM »
When someone you have not seen or been in contact with for years suddenly messages you because they have a wonderful new opportunity they think you should be involved in! This is the message I received today from a spouse of a friend who DH and I have not seen in at least 5 years, oh and they live 30 minutes away so it is not distance related. Only the name was changed.

Hey girlee,I just started doing my very own business with Slumber parties now- selling lotions, potions, pj's & toys- I'm Reaching out to all of my friends to have a party the month of Sept, I am able to give a 35% discount to anyone that has a party. Will you help me get started by hosting 1 for me?  - xoxo (name) p.s you will also get to do some FREE shopping too

I'd hit "ignore" just for calling me "girlee."   ::)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #449 on: August 13, 2013, 04:17:04 PM »

Hey girlee,I just started doing my very own business with Slumber parties now- selling lotions, potions, pj's & toys- I'm Reaching out to all of my friends to have a party the month of Sept, I am able to give a 35% discount to anyone that has a party. Will you help me get started by hosting 1 for me?  - xoxo (name) p.s you will also get to do some FREE shopping too

I'd hit "ignore" just for calling me "girlee."   ::)

DH was irate at that point! We are ignoring and cooling the relationship even more than it has been.