Author Topic: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread  (Read 55253 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread
« Reply #450 on: August 13, 2013, 05:45:11 PM »
When someone you have not seen or been in contact with for years suddenly messages you because they have a wonderful new opportunity they think you should be involved in! This is the message I received today from a spouse of a friend who DH and I have not seen in at least 5 years, oh and they live 30 minutes away so it is not distance related. Only the name was changed.

Hey girlee,I just started doing my very own business with Slumber parties now- selling lotions, potions, pj's & toys- I'm Reaching out to all of my friends to have a party the month of Sept, I am able to give a 35% discount to anyone that has a party. Will you help me get started by hosting 1 for me?  - xoxo (name) p.s you will also get to do some FREE shopping too

I wonder if I should reply at all or just ignore it.

I'd hit "ignore" just for calling me "girlee."   ::)

DH was irate at that point! We are ignoring and cooling the relationship even more than it has been.

That would annoy me too!

One former "friend" (never really was a great friend to begin with, I put up with her cause she was married to a friend of dh's)  told me that when they moved to a new neighborhood, she was looking for ways to earn money from home and wanted my advice on the best way to ask her neighbors to host a party so she could sell scrabble toys. 

I admit, my reply was perhaps not all that polite.  I said "Are you serious? You don't even know these people yet and you're wanting to ask them to host a party so you can sell something, let alone selling scrabble toys?"  (I was using a "you're pulling my leg, right?" tone, not a scolding one)

Mind you I've been to one of these parties myself and while I didn't buy anything I did have fun and had quite a few laughs, so I wasn't judging the idea of selling the scrabble toys, but I was thinking of the awkwardness alone in going door to door in a new neighborhood where she knew no one yet, and the first thing she'd be asking them is "Hey I sell scrabble toys, would you like to host a party?"  I couldn't see that going over too well. 

Or maybe it's just me, I mean I've lived here 3.5 years, know some of my neighbors rather well and I'd still feel uncomfortable hosting that kind of party.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #451 on: August 13, 2013, 05:59:32 PM »
I am probably one of the few who encouraged driving.  I was tired of driving to that school twice every day.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #452 on: August 14, 2013, 12:30:21 AM »
In Denmark, getting a drivers license is expensive (classes are mandatory and a full set costs around US$1500), so many kids herr have to wait until they can afford it.

I was lucky, I took mine in NZ and got off with US$500 :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Ereine

« Reply #453 on: August 14, 2013, 03:15:36 AM »
Cost is one reason why I don't have a drivers licence, I think that with the latest regulations it's gone up to about 2000 euros (so about $2600), I can't afford that plus the cost of owning a car, taking the bus is 48 euros per month. When I graduated high school my father offered to pay for the licence or a computer, I chose the computer and it was more useful in my studies (at the time the lucence cost about as much as the first iMacs).

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #454 on: August 14, 2013, 06:13:17 PM »
Living in NYC does not require a driver's license, not to mention there is no place to park a car.  Here a car is an expensive nuisance if you don't need it for commuting to work.

Snooks

« Reply #455 on: August 16, 2013, 02:27:20 PM »
Turns out despite looking nothing alike there is some family resemblance between us. He was explaining how he'd told his girlfriend he wouldn't keep having a conversation about an issue she could easily fix. It sounded exactly like when I tell DH he's not getting sympathy when ill unless he takes something to try and fix the problem first.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #456 on: August 20, 2013, 01:13:57 PM »
This drives me crazy, but when people, usually older, say that they didn't have the luxury of an education. It is usually said by a parent of a college student, IME.

While I know a few people who went to college and didn't have to work or scrape to get by, that is in the minority. Most people I know who went to college had to scrape and work whenever they could. I think it is beyond insulting to people who go to school so they can have a better future.

What do you think?

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #457 on: August 20, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »
This drives me crazy, but when people, usually older, say that they didn't have the luxury of an education. It is usually said by a parent of a college student, IME.

While I know a few people who went to college and didn't have to work or scrape to get by, that is in the minority. Most people I know who went to college had to scrape and work whenever they could. I think it is beyond insulting to people who go to school so they can have a better future.

What do you think?

I know with my family and the area I lived in, up until about 20 years ago, college was thought of as a thing that only rich kids got to do. Expectation was if you made it through high school, you were good. Get a job with the city, a ranch, or the rigs and work until your body breaks... or join the Army or something.  It doesn't seem like there was near the amount of information on education services and opportunities. 

Parental and teacher support is there for a lot of students now days... maybe not monetary, but in a "Work hard, I know you can do it!" kind of thing. All I ever heard from my parents was that the teachers didn't stress a lot of college stuff when they were in school, and both of them had parents that said they weren't "college" material. Neither of them had heard of the FAFSA until I got closer to looking at schools and my mom was amazed at the scholarship programs that were available, and had been for a long time. Blew her mind.

Of course, I went and joined the military because I was sick of classrooms :P   What can I say, I like hands on learning  >:D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

SlitherHiss

« Reply #458 on: August 20, 2013, 01:50:46 PM »

What do you think?

I think you might be letting yoruself see offense where none is intended. For many of my parents' generation, even having the opportunity to starve and scrape and work triple shifts to get an education could be considered a luxury. Dad had to quit college to manage the family farm, and mom left high school to take care of her siblings. Moving three states away to live on ramen noodles with 5 roommates wasn't even a possibility!

I spent HS working at a turkey plant, stuffing necks and giblets back into gutted birds so I could save up enough to begin classes at the local community college. I kept working all through school and spent some miserable years getting by on what seemed like nothing but caffeine and oatmeal. That I could do that; leave home, find work, get loans, gut through it; that was a luxury my parents literally couldn't have managed.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #459 on: August 20, 2013, 02:35:36 PM »
I find it insulting as the people telling me this are calling on me as a higher education professional when they say it.

By no means do I think everyone needs a college education, but there is a way to say that opportunity didn't exist for you (general) without insulting people who do go to school.

I work full time to support my education and my family. I am a non-traditional student who works very hard to balance work, education and my home life. A college education was not an expectation I had when I was in grade school either. No one pays for my schooling but myself.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #460 on: August 20, 2013, 05:08:02 PM »
I see that insult and raise you another:  You're a college graduate and someone says you deserve less pay than a less-educated person because "nobody wants to do THAT work."

SlitherHiss

« Reply #461 on: August 20, 2013, 05:11:50 PM »
I see that insult and raise you another:  You're a college graduate and someone says you deserve less pay than a less-educated person because "nobody wants to do THAT work."

I'm not sure I've ever heard that one...when does it come up? There are a lot of "trade" jobs that require a high level of specialization, danger, or sacrifice but which might not require a degree. Way I figure, I can only judge my salary against others in my field.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #462 on: August 20, 2013, 05:44:50 PM »
My mother pulled that one on me and she had no qualification to judge any job against any other.  In her mind a factory worker deserved better pay than I did but that could have been personal. 

I've heard people say that teamsters deserve better pay than teachers.  In my opinion teachers have the toughest and most important job imaginable.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #463 on: August 20, 2013, 05:54:30 PM »

What do you think?

Hmmm. I haven’t heard that one, but I was coming to this thread because a course on time management I had to take at work today used the phrase, “…maybe you didn’t get that fancy education you always wanted.” Fancy education? Is that still a phrase people use? Is an accounting degree really fancy? I guess maybe to some? It struck me as so odd, especially in a training class for professionals.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #464 on: August 20, 2013, 06:23:47 PM »
I spoke to my boss about it, since I had a third person in a week tell me how they don't understand the way college works, since they didn't have the "luxury" of a college education. This was said in a derisive tone, over the phone with the child that is going to college present.

None of these kids are under age 19, so the parents need to step back some and let the student take care of these things. Also, I can't imagine how it would feel as the student to hear my parent say that to someone at their prospective school.

My boss, who has two MA degrees and one PhD, said that she hears it all the time, including from her own parents. She has a high position that she has earned.