Author Topic: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread  (Read 53494 times)

nuit93

Re: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread
« Reply #465 on: August 20, 2013, 09:12:15 PM »
This drives me crazy, but when people, usually older, say that they didn't have the luxury of an education. It is usually said by a parent of a college student, IME.

While I know a few people who went to college and didn't have to work or scrape to get by, that is in the minority. Most people I know who went to college had to scrape and work whenever they could. I think it is beyond insulting to people who go to school so they can have a better future.

What do you think?

I had coworkers in the call center I worked at complain about the fact that a BA was required to move into management.

"Some of us didn't HAVE rich parents who could afford to send us to college!  Some of us had to WORK for a living!"  I didn't make many friends when I responded with "some of us worked from the day we were 15 all the way through college and paid for it ourselves because we also didn't have rich parents".

Yeah, I understand that some people do have to work just to support the family so saving for college isn't even an option, but good golly...the whining got old.

And these were people who were around my age, so it wasn't as though they had grown up in a time when all you needed was a high school diploma.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:15:01 PM by nuit93 »

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #466 on: August 21, 2013, 02:26:36 PM »
I just want to say that I love cheese, dill pickles and mayo on bread. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #467 on: August 21, 2013, 05:49:58 PM »

I love that too!  Only instead of pickles, it's roast beef.  And instead of mayo, it's roast beef.  But otherwise... yeah!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #468 on: August 21, 2013, 05:52:54 PM »

I could go for some of that! Yum!
I also really like your thread about how did you find your craft; i just don't have anything to add just yet. I think it is a cool question, though.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #469 on: August 21, 2013, 06:21:52 PM »

Sometimes I feel so darned bossy! 
The cat got sick on her little bed so we have to wash the slip cover.  My hands are giving me trouble so I asked my husband to do it.  I told him to use a little plastic pan and laundry soap, instead of the wash machine, and then stood there overseeing the process.  I caught myself though and told him, "I'm going into the other room so I don't start bossing you around."  Probably much to his relief.

The Sweetie was cutting a hole in the door to the water-heater closet to install a vent, using the jigsaw against my recommendations of either 1) remove the door or 2) use the reciprocating saw. We usually keep each other company during DIY stuff, but this time, she heard me thinking too loud and said "Could you go somewhere else to think about how you would do this?"
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #470 on: August 21, 2013, 06:55:36 PM »
Lol!

I suddenly remembered today that my wedding anniversary is in 6 weeks. Made reservations this evening!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #471 on: August 21, 2013, 07:00:32 PM »

My 40th birthday is in a month and i have no idea what i want to do. I think it is too late for a weekend trip to Assateague. I just don't know. Gish is no help, he just says tell him what I want and he'll plan it, but I don't know what i want! And I'm a terrible planner! And maybe I'm selfish but I don't want to clean for my own party! My campground is staying open an extra couple of weeks, so maybe I'll just hide out down there with my girlfriends who are already in their 50's and don't give a hoot because the more I think about it the more I want to hide in a closet.
Pity Party anyone?  :P
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #472 on: August 21, 2013, 07:04:39 PM »
Lol!

I suddenly remembered today that my wedding anniversary is in 6 weeks. Made reservations this evening!

We've had a busy last 6 months. DH and I were out with friends for dinner last Friday and they invited us to a party at their home in October. DH and I did that look to each other thinking the date sounded familiar and we said we'd get back to them. DH and I talked on our way home but couldn't come up with it. On Monday he laughingly reminded me it was our 20th anniversary and we'd discussed earlier in the year going back to the island where we hooneymooned.  Well, that's not happening now. New Orleans is our default for anniversaries so I think we'll go there.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #473 on: August 21, 2013, 07:07:50 PM »
No ideas, but I'd love to see what other folks come up with, since I hit the big 40 next spring.

So far, I figure there will be the usual day-of sushi dinner.

Actually, I know a few people turning 40 soon. Maybe I should do a repeat of my 30th birthday gifts, which was to fill a priority mail box with a bunch of little toys from Oriental Trading Company - I called it the "return to childhood" gift pack. Or maybe I'll mail a bunch of black helium balloons. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #474 on: August 22, 2013, 06:09:34 AM »
My birthday comes up soon and I have a concert ticket for Beethoven's 9th!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #475 on: August 22, 2013, 02:27:35 PM »
We are taking a cruise a few weeks after our anniversary, so I am very excited for that.

Hobish, if I didn't make plans, no one would ever do anything at my house.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #476 on: August 22, 2013, 07:34:49 PM »
Mr. Thipu gets off much better for his Birthday than I do. 

His Birthday is Halloween so, if we're at home, he gets a parade.  If we're on vacation, he gets to be in a cool place like Rome or London. 

Since our anniversary is in March and we tend to take a cruise in the spring, we're usually on a ship. That's always nice.

My Birthday is in August so not much happens.  This year I did get a great lobster dinner.   

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #477 on: August 22, 2013, 10:35:23 PM »

I love that too!  Only instead of pickles, it's roast beef.  And instead of mayo, it's roast beef.  But otherwise... yeah!
I love roast beef sandwiches, with Munster cheese, horse radish, mayo and thinly sliced red onions.  Sometimes I like just butter on my sandwich, instead of mayo.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #478 on: August 22, 2013, 10:48:57 PM »

I love roast beef sandwiches, with Munster cheese, horse radish, mayo and thinly sliced red onions.  Sometimes I like just butter on my sandwich, instead of mayo.

Some people think catsup makes everything right, but WE know that horseradish just does anything up right! So when and where are you serving this delight? I'll be there!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #479 on: August 23, 2013, 06:07:38 AM »

For me, it's just roast beef and Swiss, layered so that the cheese is interspersed throughout the sandwich, and then microwaved until the cheese is melty.