Author Topic: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread  (Read 62337 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread
« Reply #495 on: August 24, 2013, 07:52:48 PM »
My Dad used to do that - just buy things for himself whenever. I finally told him one year that he wasn't allowed to shop for himself between October 1 and Christmas without consulting me and/or Mom first, so we'd have half a chance of getting him something he actually wanted for Christmas.

Mr. Thipu does this, too.  He's always buying neat things from ThinkGeek or TravelSmith. He almost always includes something fun for me.  We decided long ago that leaving around catalogs with strategically marked pages was a good way for us to get each other Christmas gifts we really want. 

Birthday gifts are usually a card and an extra nice dinner out.  We aren't big on gifts although I do like to see a nice pile under the Christmas tree. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #496 on: August 24, 2013, 08:43:29 PM »
We tend to have a rule of buying each other just one thing (though sometimes I'll get him two related inexpensive things) and using most of the money on the kids. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

andi

« Reply #497 on: August 25, 2013, 12:05:39 AM »
My Dad used to do that - just buy things for himself whenever. I finally told him one year that he wasn't allowed to shop for himself between October 1 and Christmas without consulting me and/or Mom first, so we'd have half a chance of getting him something he actually wanted for Christmas.

I do this with my hubby and he still will wind up getting himself something in mid november tha t was on my list to get him. Drives me batty

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #498 on: August 26, 2013, 11:21:52 AM »
As to gift giving, for Valentine's day, I make DH a special dessert (he is a chocoholic) and he gets me a $4 bunch of roses from the grocery store. I have more trinkets than I can keep up with and that makes me happy. Our only gift giving occasions are birthdays, mother's and father's day, and Christmas.

My FIL is like those above who buy everything they want so you can't hardly find anything to give them. I saw a unique camera strap during our vacation and that is what FIL is getting this year.

MIL doesn't like or enjoy anything but gift cards, so we only give her those.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #500 on: August 27, 2013, 09:40:19 AM »
An interesting bit of reading for you: http://theweek.com/article/index/248601/how-to-avoid-being-rude-according-to-100-year-old-etiquette-rules

Very interesting bit of reading, Redwing.  Thank you.

I especially liked the zinger at the end about a Lady's impression of a Gentleman who talks down to her. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #501 on: August 27, 2013, 01:06:36 PM »
A woman claimed to have been pregnant with twins, then spun an elaborate tale of their death, complete with a funeral service. She also convinced one child and his doctors that he had gallbladder cancer, and his gallbladder was removed, then that he had kidney issues. A daughter was treated for cancer, which she did not have. This woman is beyond belief.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/08/27/munchausen-mom-how-one-woman-fabricated-pregnancy-and-deaths-imaginary-twins/
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:12:04 PM by ladyknight1 »

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #502 on: August 27, 2013, 01:45:24 PM »
That is just awful!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

AngelicGamer

« Reply #503 on: August 27, 2013, 05:37:18 PM »
Where I live, we're having a mini heat wave.  Apparently, a lot of schools are not equipped to handle this via AC and/or fans, so the kids had a half day.  I do understand that it was safer for the kids and for the teachers.

However, this in my mind turned into "In my day, we suffered through the heat and were grateful that PE turned into a mini study hall."  I only graduated high school about thirteen years ago and did a mental eye rolling at myself.  I also checked my old district and all of the schools were open.  Then again, we rarely closed...only time that we closed for real was the blizzard of 2000.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #504 on: August 27, 2013, 07:24:51 PM »
An interesting bit of reading for you: http://theweek.com/article/index/248601/how-to-avoid-being-rude-according-to-100-year-old-etiquette-rules

"Arm-offering is how our streets came to echo with the plaintive cries of unwed mothers and their starving ill-gotten young."
Love it.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #505 on: August 27, 2013, 08:55:20 PM »
Keep in mind that it isn't just temperature but school design. Some schools have classrooms with no windows and no real airflow so if the heat and AC isn't working it is stifling. Older buildings tend to have windows so at least the air circulates, even if it is warm.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #506 on: August 27, 2013, 09:34:25 PM »
That is just awful!

I read where the medical field has decided NOT to list Munchausen's as a mental illness, but as a "personality disorder", in large part to keep people from claiming not to be legally responsible for their actions "under the influence" so that it is not a legal defense of mental illness or mental defect.

Which is slightly reassuring - but also disturbing - as it doesn't seem to be an issue that doctors think about when presented with a parent with a SICK kid who never gets any better and the parent seems to thrive on the attention......to an odd degree.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #507 on: August 28, 2013, 06:52:24 AM »
Doctors need to be taught how to identify that.  However, if we can believe what we see in Law & Order episodes, very often these people take their children to a lot of different doctors in their quest for attention when they don't get the reactions they want.

dawbs

« Reply #508 on: August 28, 2013, 09:20:56 AM »
Doctors need to be taught how to identify that.  However, if we can believe what we see in Law & Order episodes, very often these people take their children to a lot of different doctors in their quest for attention when they don't get the reactions they want.
And this is such a double edged sword--I've fired 7?  8?  neurologists in the past 5 years.  I could easily see doing the same if my kid ended up w/ similar issues.  But how to see the difference between "many doctors to find help when help is hard to find and doctors are unhelpful" and "doctor shopping to hide the parents' issues" is near impossible.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #509 on: August 28, 2013, 09:29:25 AM »
I know a mother who never takes her child to the same doctor twice. She gets his annual physicals at the independent urgent care centers. He is extremely small for his age and has a noticeable tick (both physical and verbal) that hinders his progress in school and social activities. He also has big issues with physical boundaries, wants to touch and hit everyone, in a playful manner according to the mom.

She and his father are so ehell bent on their son not being labeled that they refuse to even check if treatment is available. I gave her the cut once I realized this is not about the son, this is about them not wanting to have to do anything to help him.

He has been moved from school to school every year as well.  >:(